Author Topic: Avalanche kills 12 in single deadliest accident on Mount Everest  (Read 5395 times)

bambi

Another sad case of natural disaster. I do wish that they can do something more meaningful rather than have a 'hobby' that is this dangerous. My deepest condolences to the families and relatives. Om Mani Peme Hung

A high-altitude avalanche Friday killed 12 Sherpa guides and seriously wounded three in the single deadliest accident on Mount Everest, officials said. Four others are missing, said Madhu Sudan Burlakoti of Nepal's Tourism Ministry, adding that six people were injured in total.

A group of about 50 people, mostly Nepali Sherpas, were hit by the avalanche at more than 20,000 feet, said Tilak Ram Pandey of the ministry's mountaineering department.
The avalanche took place just above base camp in the Khumbu Ice Fall.

The climbers were accounted for, Pandey said. "Rescue teams have gone ... to look for the missing."

Before Friday, the deadliest single-day toll was from an accident in May 1996, when eight climbers disappeared when a huge storm hit. Their tragic story was chronicled in Jon Krakauer's bestselling book "Into Thin Air."

Between May 15 and 30 is usually the best window for reaching the 29,028-foot peak.
Climbers and guides had been setting the ropes for the route, acclimating to the climate and preparing the camps along the route when the avalanche hit Friday, said Gordon Janow with Alpine Ascents International in Seattle.
Climbers arrive in April to acclimate to the altitude before heading toward the summit of the world's highest mountain.
Ethnic Sherpas acts as guides for the mostly foreign clients.

Jessie Fong

Re: Avalanche kills 12 in single deadliest accident on Mount Everest
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 05:58:32 AM »
The Sherpas were nomads and now a lot of them have migrated to the West.  They are well known as elite mountaineers serving as guides on expeditions to climb Mt Everest.  They are hardy people and experienced at very high altitudes.

One of the most well-known Sherpas is Tenzing Norgay who together with Sir Edmund Hillary become the first people to have reached the summit of Mt Everest in 1953.

I reckon it's not for want of other things to do, their situation is such that living in the hazardous mountains and with harsh conditions does not leave them with much choice. The new generation's move to the West is a sign that they are leaving this old mountaineering tradition.

RedLantern

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:02:19 AM »

This is a very sad and terrible tragedy that claimed the liv of so many brave men.Everest Sherpas are probably the best mountaineers in the world. Without the Sherpas,many would never be able to summit Everest.
My heartfelt prayers go out to their families and their community,all of whom must be devasted.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »
Om MANI PADME Hum. Indeed tragic and sad news. My heartfelt condolences goes to the victim's families. They must be devastated as well. This is sure a very dangerous hobby to have.
Lets hope that no more accident will occur and no more lives lost.

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:48:17 AM »
I will pray for the swift and fortunate rebirth. Whenever we hear of bad news from worldwide events of this nature, there is a group of us who make strong dedications and perform pujas at our centre. We always perform medicine Buddha and also Dorje Shugden puja and dedicate for the people who have passed on or been injured.

We should always pray sincerely for the dead, it is a method for generating compassion in our practice.

Even thought mountain climbing can be dangerous, it is actually safer that other hobbies of you really think about it. End being guides to mountain climbers is a good source of income for the Sherpa Guides who would otherwise probably not have a good or steady source of income to support themselves of their families.

Andrea Keating

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »
I was once told by a friend that mountain climbing gave tremendous satisfaction standing at the peak with everything under your feet.  That’s our ego at work for sure.  But years later, I read a book about mountain climbers.  These were stories about those who challenged the greatest height on earth, and yet found themselves having to be humble in front of these great sights.  I guess to conquer such height, one would make some realization in their mind along the way as the journey is extremely tough.  The physical body and state of mind would be challenged to stay alive.

It is interesting how human put themselves through such adverse condition to be at the highest possible point on earth.  What drove these courageous people to such an extent?  For some, passion and the guides, money for living.

This was indeed a very sad disaster.  I hope the families of those killed found solace in their faith.

pgdharma

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
The Sherpa people are an ethnic group in eastern Nepal and most of them lead a hard life working as porters for foreign trekkers who traveled from all over the world to climb Mount Everest. This incident is so tragic and I hope that those who died will have a better rebirth while those who are missing be found soon.