Author Topic: Interfaith Video  (Read 4258 times)

icy

Interfaith Video
« on: October 13, 2013, 05:17:08 AM »
World Religions: Tibetan Buddhism, Christian Science & Jainism
This program looks at the beliefs and rituals of three world faith traditions as they are practiced in the United States.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50157018n

icy

Re: Interfaith Video
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
Buddhists, Christians and Sikh’s come together for Sunderland interfaith celebration

HUNDREDS of people have taken part in events celebrating the melting pot of diverse cultures and religions across Sunderland.
The Interfaith Walk of Peace took place yesterday, stopping off at places of worship throughout the city.
Organised by Sunderland Interfaith Forum as part of Interfaith Week, the walk was a chance for people to explore a variety of religions represented across the city.

Setting off from Sunderland Minster Church, the walkers took in the Sunderland Buddhist Temple, followed by the Sikh Gurdwara in The Cloisters, where they were treated to a free meal.
Walkers then headed to the Chester Road Mosque, finishing up at the Catholic Sisters of Mercy Convent.
On Saturday night, food and entertainment from all four corners of the globe was on offer at Sunderland University as its Celebration of Diversity event returned for a fifth year.
The jam-packed evening, which coincided with the United Nations’ International Day of Tolerance, was the highlight of the university’s Diversity Month.

The eclectic mix of performers included musicians playing guitars, ukuleles and the piano, Bulgarian, Irish and Gangnam-style dancers, Chinese rappers and African drummers.
It was the biggest such event as the cultural extravaganza has been growing year-on-year.
Event co-ordinator and student contact officer Jan Spalek, who is Slovakian, said: “It was very well attended, we had more than 350 people.

“The food was from literally every single corner of the world. It was cooked by the students, and each group was given a small budget.”

“We had Malaysian food, Indonesian, Polish, Bulgarian, Cypriot and British food.”
Jan is also the organiser of Diversity Month, which promises more than 30 activities.
He said: “It’s not only about engaging our students. It’s about going out into the community and showing the value that different cultures bring to Sunderland.

“This has been the biggest event so far. We were taken by surprise how busy it was.”
Student union president Carl Taylor said: “It was such a fantastic evening, to see so many international students enjoying themselves, and members of the community. It really was as diverse an evening as you could possibly get.”

For a list of all the Diversity Month events, visit www.sunderlandsu.co.uk

It is heartwarming to see such event happening around the world to promote goodwill, religious tolerance and harmony.  More of these event should be organised around the world to foster world peace.  World peace starts from one own country.

kris

Re: Interfaith Video
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
There is no such thing as "my religion is better than yours", there is only "this religion suits me better". From my spiritual path in the past few years, I learn that different religions are just labels (of course I am referring to religions who ask people to practice kindness, and not the types which ask you to kill others), they are just different ways to enlightenment and relief of suffering. Different religions should focus more on the similarities instead of difference between the religions; and we should all practice tolerance and kindness towards all beings.

I pray to have more organisations to organise such events to reduce the frictions between religions, and to cultivate acceptance..