Author Topic: Plastic surgeries 'madness'  (Read 8359 times)

DS Star

Plastic surgeries 'madness'
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:27:15 PM »
I believe plastic surgeries were started with noble intention to help injured and disfigured patients to look 'normal' again and thus return to society without the fear of being discriminate.

Then it became THE 'saviour' i.e. the unnatural "anti-aging" remedy for older people especially among the rich and famous.

However, it had now evolved to include the younger people mainly in countries like South Korea, Japan and China. Plastic surgeries are now very common to people from all walks of life.

These expensive procedures are now moving up to another level... it feeds people's illusions to be able to look exactly like their idols or even non-human characters.

Small | Large

As Buddhists, we are taught to let go and not to be too attach to our looks and bodies as these are temporary things. But here we have the people who have so much delusions...

I would call this as " madness" :-\

brian

• Email
Re: Plastic surgeries 'madness'
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:41:58 AM »
Utterly madness. Who would know what would be forthcoming after the so called plastic surgery been done on the person? The after effects can be quite devastating. I have heard of someone who went to have his nose done and it became bad after about a decade on. I think people who actually goes for such plastic surgery are the type of people who will inflict more pain to themselves eventually.  They might be not good looking initially and and that's karma brought from previous lives. Unwilling to accept it, she went for a treatment to have his face changed into a sweet beautiful woman. By doing that she had to fork out a lot of money for the expensive operation to be done and she is not from the rich family background. She incurred huge credit cards debt in due course, she flirted with several guys and they were fighting for her etc. In the end someone got her and used her. She was dumped after the guy found out about the plastic surgery thingy... what happens next is pretty predictable. As times goes by her face deteriorated and have to have it fixed again and that spells trouble as she would probably still be paying for the huge debt she inherited from her initial operation. I am asking, what has she gained from this? Suffering long term for short term happiness?

diamond girl

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
I like this subject matter...  8)

Before I embark on the karma aspect let me ask you, and I use fictional names here as illustration, what you think of this scenario:

Jennifer is unhappy with how she looks. Let's not even judge what is beautiful as I go on the premise that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Jennifer discovers plastic surgery, and today there are other non-invasive methods - aesthetic procedures - and she researches how she can improve her looks. She saves up and then goes for the procedures. She wakes up all swollen and probably bruised... but after a few weeks she looks in the mirror and she likes what she sees. She feels good about herself. She is a better person. She is confident. Ok you may argue that beauty is not everything but you have to admit, you are more attracted to a prettier person?? Correct??? Jennifer now has what she feels is her beauty... now you look at her and you will see beauty in the eyes of the beholder!

Yes we can be righteous and say karma had it this way.... I also believe that karma put those plastic surgeons on this planet. Yes we can say accept and move on... I will say accept, improve and move on better.

There have been horrid stories of really bad results and also deaths... this I know very well. Why? Research. The key is to research the subject and check out the doctor before you go under the knife. Come on... we would the same for any surgery. We should not mix up carelessness and ignorance for wanting to be beautiful.

There is nothing wrong about wanting to be beautiful. It helps the inside beauty too.

Of course there are some extreme cases where it is like an addiction and they just do not stop until even their parents do not recognise them. In this situation, it is not vanity but a psychiatric issue which is a whole new topic for discussion.   

I am totally for getting help for outer beauty as much as I am for getting inner help from DS. Peace....and beauty!

RedLantern

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »
While plastic surgery can bring happiness and confidence (everyone has the right to choose to what brings happiness to them),everyone should also be aware of the risks.
Plastic surgery for anything other than corrective procedures caused by illness or injury is the height of narcission.Moreover,current society fears the aging process.
Plastic surgery is not a quick fix.it should be thought about for a long time,as it is very dangerous and can be addictive.People see it as an easy solution and the need to change.Many enjoy the quick fix it gives to themselves and their confidence,and then resort to it more and more.
Is it a good thing or a bad thing?Do you believe the younger generation are susceptible to buying plastic surgery?

diamond girl

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
While plastic surgery can bring happiness and confidence (everyone has the right to choose to what brings happiness to them),everyone should also be aware of the risks.
Plastic surgery for anything other than corrective procedures caused by illness or injury is the height of narcission.Moreover,current society fears the aging process.
Plastic surgery is not a quick fix.it should be thought about for a long time,as it is very dangerous and can be addictive.People see it as an easy solution and the need to change.Many enjoy the quick fix it gives to themselves and their confidence,and then resort to it more and more.
Is it a good thing or a bad thing?Do you believe the younger generation are susceptible to buying plastic surgery?

Happiness is subjective and a constant choice every moment. My points on plastic surgery or aesthetic procedures I have expressed earlier. Plastic surgery by the way is far from a quick fix. It takes time, research, care, references and money. And the younger generation is totally exposed to this and will they choose it? Is it right or wrong? This is the million dollar question... it is like asking "Should we stop to use our phones?"

My point, we have so much in this modern generation. we are gifted. Can we ignore what is out there? Nope. But what we CAN do is reinforce our mind. Have good motivation. Even when choosing plastic surgery have good motivation. So we should not put a limit on plastic surgery is for correction after accidents etc... If karma meant that we have the accident then why correct the consequences?

Plastic surgery is a choice of action to be taken with information and knowledge... educated choice. Look good, feel good, BE good. Shallow huh? Actually not really if we think deeper...

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 03:21:29 PM »

Happiness is subjective and a constant choice every moment. My points on plastic surgery or aesthetic procedures I have expressed earlier. Plastic surgery by the way is far from a quick fix. It takes time, research, care, references and money. And the younger generation is totally exposed to this and will they choose it? Is it right or wrong? This is the million dollar question... it is like asking "Should we stop to use our phones?"

My point, we have so much in this modern generation. we are gifted. Can we ignore what is out there? Nope. But what we CAN do is reinforce our mind. Have good motivation. Even when choosing plastic surgery have good motivation. So we should not put a limit on plastic surgery is for correction after accidents etc... If karma meant that we have the accident then why correct the consequences?

Plastic surgery is a choice of action to be taken with information and knowledge... educated choice. Look good, feel good, BE good. Shallow huh? Actually not really if we think deeper...

Diamond Girl... I bet you must be a hot babe. Because you love beauty and are not afraid to be beautiful.  :-* I don't know how do you look like physically but I feel your passion. And that in itself is gorgeous.

Not to offend anyone but I think most of us are attached to beauty and our definition of how we should achieve a certain standard of beauty. Some people may not consider plastic surgery for more than 10 sec but would spend thousands of dollars on grooming their dogs and cats dressing them up like superstars. And there are those who would polish their antiques until they glitter in the dark. All because they like beauty. But how the idea of beauty manifests in their lives differs. A lady who scrubs every inch of her kitchen and decapitates anyone that leaves a speck of dust on the bar top may look like an old hag. But she takes pride in her kitchen and how sexy it is. So when she walks you can literally see behind her an entourage of stoves, pots, pans, cabinets and cleaning detergents all swaying like salsa dancers. And that is beauty to her. Would you judge her the same you criticize a lady who reconstructed her face? You would probably say that there were risks involved in surgery and it is unnatural or for whatever reasons that you can think of while Mama in the kitchen is normal. But I dare say that you are missing the point. Everything stems from  our attachment to the definition of beauty. It is subtle but it is there. This judgement, I bet comes from jealousy. Because she was once not very pretty but did something to enhance her looks and I didn't. And guess what? Before you make a comment, do you like what you see in the mirror?

I am not advocating cosmetic surgery nor am I against it because to me, it is just a reflection of our minds. Instead of asking what are these vain people doing to their faces and bodies, try asking what are the feelings I have regarding this issue? Then you are opening a door way to understanding yourself and taking a step closer to transformation and enlightenment.  ;D

cookie

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
I personally think that plastic surgery to improve one's looks is absolutely fine, if done without a craving or grasping mind. Simple surgeries to improve the looks without going through dangerous life threatening procedures is alright. Also please do not aim to achieve somebody else"s face or body.

Q

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »
Going for plastic surgery can turn into a form of addiction. Like many other forms of addiction, it can be misused and most of the time it happens because the people that do go for plastic surgery are successful and rich people (some men goes for plastic surgery too!) and usually manage to buy their way through their addiction.

Yes, I know that some people will argue that plastic surgery will not cause addiction... that chocolates can also be an addiction and harm our health etc. But fact is, many people are addicted to their looks and no matter what they do, there will always be some form of imperfection they will spot... So you have some people, going for multiple surgeries to fix 'what is not right' about their face/body.

That's why the first thing that a GOOD plastic surgeon would do is to assess their patient's purpose of doing the surgery, if the surgery will improve their quality of life. Every surgery that is done should improve the person's quality of life, not just for the sake of cosmetic improvement.

Sad thing about this girl is... after so many years of suffering the surgery and 100k spent... the looks she have now will not last. I hope she is a positive girl that can accept IMPERMANENCE and understand that aging will happen. It would really suck to see her get all depressed when she no longer see the beautiful French women that she turned herself into 10 years down the road.

diablo1974

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »
Many have different intention going for (facial) plastic surgeries. You need to have the money and the ability to tolerate pain. To achieve the look one's sought after, its not only one time surgery that works but need repeated surgeries but without warranty that it will be perfect. But people are still willing to take the risk eventhough they have average decent looks. But for cases such as accidents and injuries, plastic surgeries are reasonable and acceptable, not only to improve on the looks but also to be able to live as before.

pgdharma

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »
No pain no gain. To undergo surgeries for the sake of beauty, one needs money and be brave to go through the surgery. There are risks involved too as some may die during operation. Is it worth it? Outer beauty no matter how good it looks will fade away eventually even with repeated surgeries.

What does this Japanese girl get out of it by wanting to look like a westerner? She had to spend so much money and endured so much pain just to look good and attract attention and all these will pass away soon. I can't imagine how this girl will feel after her beauty as a French girl fades away in her old age....

OMB

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
This is absolutely MADNESS , going under the knife in the name of beauty! Only temporary satisfaction / happiness.  At the time of death, we will leave this body behind, what 's important, is the spiritual growth that we can bring with us to our next life , not the bodysuit.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
Plastic surgery is often cited as the "correction" or restoration of form and function but with the advent of medicine and science, many people have resorted to it to enhance their physical looks for want of looking better. They go for reconstructive surgery with the misconception that they would look better with different features or "borrowed" features from famous people.

IN this case, the girl went to extremes to lengthen her legs so that she could be taller. That was at the cost of breaking her bones and enhanced with a steel implant.

I do not accept such drastic moves in the name of beauty or rather vanity.  It is acceptable if one goes under the knife for minor jobs.

bambi

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »
Attachment to looks. How sad... I always wonder why they go through so much pain for something that would not last. Can you imagine when the kids come out and look completely different? Especially when they get old and everything will become saggy and weird.
Its true. Plastic surgeries were meant for those who was disfigured or have defects and not to be used as something for fun or just to look pretty. Well, all of us have different addictions/madness...

metta girl

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »
Plastic surgery was  actualy meant to repair a patient's body after they have suffered an injury which has reulted in disfigurement,but  now it became an option for some to change their appearance which they are unhappy with.It"s madness that some are so attached  to their body and features that they are willing to pay a high price just to change it and did not take in account that the surgery might fail and make them look worst than their actual look.True beauty should come from within .."Beauty is about being comfortable in your own skin,It's about knowing and accepting who you are"

diamond girl

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
I hear what all you are saying and you how deeply you feel against plastic surgery.

However, if you read back to my first response on this thread I made a clear point that it is really not all about the looks but that it has something to feeling confident and secure about oneself and this is about finding some inner peace for one self. Perhaps not what the Buddhist/religion preaches as peace which involves transformation etc.

When one feels good about one self it can create positivity. My point... all this plastic surgery is NOT about looks and vanity only. There is deeper reasons.

Last but not least.... we are attracted to beautiful things. So many people we see as beautiful and even admire have done some "work" on themselves...