Author Topic: One World Religion?  (Read 7202 times)

DS Star

One World Religion?
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
Since his election as the 266th Pope of Roman Catholic Church on 13th March 2013, Pope Francis had been sending the message of  “friendship between men and women of different religious traditions“ in his public address and interviews.

Recently he even said he believes that Muslims worship and pray to the “one God” that he also worships.

Pope Francis had also been working on improving relations with the Orthodox Christian churches and the atheists as well, sending the message that: all people who do good works, including atheists, are going to heaven.

Unfortunately, due to his openness to accept all, Pope Francis is viewed as "Anti-Christ" by certain Catholics and Christians. He is a world leader that promotes peace but seems not everyone agree with his mission.

Background of Pope Francis:

"Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on December 17, 1936, Jorge Mario Bergoglio became Pope Francis on March 13, 2013, when he was named the 266th pope of the Roman Catholic Church. Bergoglio, the first pope from the Americas, reportedly took his papal title after St. Francis of Assisi of Italy. Prior to his election as pope, Bergoglio served as archbishop of Buenos Aires from 1998 to 2013 (succeeding Antonio Quarracino), as cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church of Argentina from 2001 to 2013."

Small | Large

Matibhadra

Re: One World Religion?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:34:30 PM »
“One world religion” is just the old Jewish psychotic obsession with having the whole humankind kowtowing to their bloodthirsty ethnic god Jehovah.

Judaism is the only religion which sets rules and obligations not only for their own followers, but also for the rest of humanity, the so-called “seven laws of Noah”, which, first and foremost, bans non-Jews from the worship of any other god, together with their images, or what they call “idolatry”. Not unlike the ban of Dorje Shugden.

“One world religion”, therefore, is a stinky and perverse slogan aimed at suppressing the diversity of religions and gods. It is at the root of all the Jewish, Christian and Islamic religious persecutions against non-Abrahamic believers around the world, all of them aimed at imposing the violent Jewish ethnic god Jehovah as “the only god”.

Incidentally, the “one world religion” slogan remembers the Dalai's attempts at creating a new single mixed tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, under his control, thus suppressing the diversity of lineages and the purity of their teachings, a phenomenon which is at the very root of the ban of Dorje Shugden.

brian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:51:17 AM »
My view is the same on this. I believe most probably Pope Francis were doing some kind of let's unite and have one religion belief which is Christianity. This will only sends out messages to other people in the world that whatever religion that you are currently believing into, it is not good and everyone should join me to be the son of God, Christianity.... for example. This is not going to be very popular with Christians as well as Atheists... we have our own believe and of course there is no way that we can force others to believe in what we feel is correct.

RedLantern

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
mAN'S SO CALL WISDOM IN THINKING HE KNOWS ALL THATE THERE IS TO BE KNOWN HAS ALWAYS BEEN AMAZING

Man's so call wisdom in thinking he knows all that there is to be known has always been amazing. Wisdom is gained from what man has experienced in life,buy true wisdom comes from within.There is nothing in this life that man can say for a certainty,unless he has seen,experienced directly that which pertains to his statement,beliefs,or faith.Reference and a scripture make sense.Why? How else would we understand?
Worrying and living in fear is praying for what we don't want .Believe in your hearts and all things are possible.Evil is separate and divided love is to bring together unity.If something is true,it just is whether you believe in it or not.

fruven

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 04:39:47 AM »
When one brings up the word God it always brings up two kind of respond, a positive or a negative respond. It also shows how our mind thinks regardless whether we are believers or non-believers. The non-believers will think that you're pushing your own ideology onto them. This is a mental habituation that we push away. We avoid what we do not like. Something which threatens our own comfort zone. Although it is a non-live-threatening somehow we believe our comfort space is being threaten. Probably the change of believe is very alarming to our own self-centreness regardless you're a free-thinker, or believer.

bambi

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »
Its very sad to see how people will always put words into your mouth eventhough you meant well. Even to a point being called an anti christ.
Whatever we practice, we do the best-est way we can. Always promote love, kindness, compassion, forgiveness but most of all practice. We do not need to refer to your god, my god, your Buddha, my Buddha, your heaven or my heaven. Lets not just use sweet words to win people to your religion. Action speaks louder than words...

Matibhadra

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
Something which threatens our own comfort zone. Although it is a non-live-threatening somehow we believe our comfort space is being threaten.

This is the very function of the jealous and violent Jewish “god”: to make people feel uncomfortable and threatened, just like any violent criminal wants their victims to feel.

Probably the change of believe is very alarming to our own self-centreness regardless you're a free-thinker, or believer.

I would not call rejecting the shameless harassment by a jealous, self-centered, psychotic “god” by the name “self-centredness”. Rather, I would call it dignity, decency, self-respect.

hope rainbow

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
I say, there is only one religion anyway, and many methods.

One state to achieve (or to be more precise, not something to achieve, but many things to let go of, all things that are causes for suffering to us and others), and countless roads to get to that result.

And this is one thing I strongly believe in: to deny the methods different than the one we practice, to deny the other roads, to diminish them, to drive those that walk other paths away from their chosen path is not in line with walking our own spiritual path, this like walking it backwards...

So I am always very wary of the spiritual practitioners (or so called practitioners) that put down other spiritual practices, I stay away from them.

Matibhadra

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 08:32:05 AM »
I say, there is only one religion anyway, and many methods.

Since there are many methods and many goals, there remains nothing to be the same in your fantasized “one religion”.

One state to achieve (or to be more precise, not something to achieve, but many things to let go of, all things that are causes for suffering to us and others), and countless roads to get to that result.

Even within Buddhism there are at least three possible states to achieve, depending on one's motivation, namely a better rebirth within samsara, mere liberation from samsara, and full awakening.

And, while the mere motivations to achieve the former two states may be steps to the motivation to achieve the latter, the actual achievements of a better rebirth within samsara and of liberation from samsara may themselves constitute huge hindrances to full awakening.

Therefore, even within Buddhism your theory does not hold water.

Outside Buddhism, one may want to achieve a rebirth in the form or formless realms through different types of concentration and penances, or an enjoyable rebirth within the desire realm through virtuous actions, which are all huge hindrances to full awakening as proposed by Buddhism.

Also, some religions such as Judaism even reject the possibility of rebirth, and propose the achievement of happiness for this life alone, which from a Buddhist viewpoint is the sure way to the lower realms, and therefore does not even qualify as Dharma or religion.

Therefore, at least from a Buddhist viewpoint, there are many roads bringing to different states or achievements, from the hell realms to full awakening.

As a further remark, from a Buddhist viewpoint, full awakening is a matter of both abandoning (the obstructions to liberation and enlightenment) and obtaining (the accumulations of merit and wisdom). Therefore, the theory of “just letting go” does not hold water either, at least from a Buddhist perspective.

And this is one thing I strongly believe in: to deny the methods different than the one we practice, to deny the other roads, to diminish them, to drive those that walk other paths away from their chosen path is not in line with walking our own spiritual path, this like walking it backwards...

Here you are mixing two utterly different things, 1) the right anyone has to investigate, analyze and criticize any religious path, and 2) the violation of the religious freedom of others.

Keeping this distinction in mind, one should feel free to investigate, analyze and criticize Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Indo-Aryan religions, pre-Columbian religions, Neopaganism, or whatever, as much as one wants, as long as one does not violate anyone else's religious freedom.

Now, among the points to be investigated, analyzed and criticized within the topic of “one world religion” is the proposed essential characteristic of the religions championing this idea if not this slogan, to wit Judaism, Christianity and Islam, the three so-called Abrahamic religions, and their intrinsic and absolute intolerance of other religions, specifically the non-Abrahamic ones.

If you think that this is not true, that such intolerance does not exist, that such Abrahamic religions just propose that their own followers follow their own paths without forcing themselves or their beliefs on others, please feel free to make your point, and surely it will be discussed in a civilized way on the basis of reasons and facts.

However, what you propose instead is to ban any rational discussion on the merits and demerits of any given religion (or pretense thereof) under the cover of empty and deceitful slogans such as “one world religion” -- curiously the very same slogan or idea behind the violations perpetrated throughout the millennia by the above referred Abrahamic religions, which you are apparently so intent on defending.

So I am always very wary of the spiritual practitioners (or so called practitioners) that put down other spiritual practices, I stay away from them.

Considering the way you are intent on banning rational and unbiased discussion, and defending Abrahamic bigotry, may I conclude that you are wary of, and want to stay away from, your very own self?

kris

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »
Pope Francis has gained a lot of respects from many especially his concern for the poor, and his openness and tolerance towards other religions. From history, Christian, Jewish and Islam all have the common god, while on the other hand, Buddhism have different "system" where Buddhist teaching do not practice an all mighty god.

I think it is difficult to have a One World Religion, because people would like to have "choices" in this era. Just like there is iPhone and Android, etc, and you can't really force everyone to use iPhone..

Whether we have a One World Religion or not, I think all the religions practitioners must have this most important mindset: be compassionate, kind, and acceptance towards people of different culture, races and religion believes.

I seriously don't understand why some will say Pop Francis is "anti-christ" just because he is open to people of different religion and practices...

OMB

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »
I'd admired Pope Francis openness and willingness to engage and show respect to those outside his faith.May he continue to inspire and lead many in a way of peace and harmony.

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
:-\ One World Religion could easily be used to efface all other religious beliefs to support one that is seemingly all encompassing, kind, loving and peaceful. But to me, actual peace arises when there is harmony amongst differing paths. One size does not fit all. The new-agey peeps like to speak the word "oneness" which means we come from one same source. Yes, maybe we did but I guess for there to be ONE, it already implies many. Think about it.

cookie

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »
Realistically there would never be a "one world religion". People all around the world are so different in their own ways and ideologies and hence, there would definitely need to be different means or skills to guide them all .
But we can certainly do with more “friendship between men and women of different religious traditions“ to create a  more peaceful and happy world . Thank you to the Pope for championing this cause .

dharmacrazy79

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »
Pope Francis encourage friendship between practitioners of various religions. I do not see this as creating a One World Religion. Instead, this can be an effort to create harmony between practitioners of different faiths by creating togetherness instead of separation.

So much problems arise from separation: an I and a them. It is this separation that creates space for misunderstanding, conflict of interest and animosity.

I respect Pope Francis for re-calling the message of God which is to do good and serve.

At the rate in which all religions are loosing popularity in this modern period of civilization, creating spiritual cooperation and setting a good example for the youths is quite important. Unlike in ancient times when the young just follow tradition without question, the youth today are well informed and intelligent with the availability of information through technology. Therefore, traditional methods that don't make sense will not appeal to the society of the 21st century. Instead, spiritual leadership that promotes virtues will be one that has a chance to regain interest, respect and belief of the next generation.

Calling for inter-faith friendship is aligned to the globalization process of our society.