Author Topic: Buddhism’s Holiest Shrine in Bihar’s Bodh Gaya is All Set to Glitter with Gold  (Read 9267 times)

brian

• Email
I have been in Thailand for a number of times. Manage to catch some of the glimpses in Buddhist Thai monastery temples. It is very nice and most statues were covered with gold. I was told by one of the monks there in Bangkok that they always make the best offerings for the Buddha and that is why they have almost everything painted in gold color either it is the statue or gate. It does not reflect that they are very rich but the devotees just wanted to offer something that they can offer.

OMB

What a wonderful news shared! Making offerings is part of the practice of Buddhism.  Any act performed with a virtuous motivation brings merits and help us to develop good qualities and fulfill our spiritual aspirations.

Big Uncle

I think it is amazing that a sovereign state has taken interest in making such a lavish offering to the Buddha. The idea of making such a lavish offering is debatable whether if such an offering is even necessary. I think that such offerings can be 'downsized' and much of the money can really be channeled to real charitable causes. It does make sense to make such lavished offerings to the 3 Jewels when there's just so many charitable causes that deserve some donation and attention. That in itself is not in the spirit of the Mahayana. However, this does not take away from the importance of making offerings to the 3 Jewel.

eyesoftara

Rejoice in the news. The next time we go for pilgrimage we will be able to see the golden dome. My friends asked me why do we offer gold or other precious things to offer to the Buddhas? My Guru teaches that to offer what we like or value most is like offering away our desires and attachment. In that way we create the karma to receive the same and to offer these precious items to the 3 Jewels, we create the cause for enlightenment.

So this offering is fantastic and if we rejoice in it we gain great merits as well. I rejoice.