Author Topic: ‘have we gotten so cold?’  (Read 10177 times)

DS Star

‘have we gotten so cold?’
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:26:16 AM »
Father of Six Dies After NYPD Police Chokehold

Small | Large

‘Even if police procedures don’t kick in, when does your sense of humanity kick in?’ Sharpton asked.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/emergency-workers-scene-eric-garner-chokehold-tragedy-put-modified-duty-article-1.1873800

The main issue here is the Police Officer use the 'Chokehold' method to bring the man down and that no one perform CPR immediately when the man passed out.

Really, have we gotten so cold?

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
Re: ‘have we gotten so cold?’
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:57:58 AM »
Were the general NYPD officers sent out on the streets of New York so immune to arresting people on the streets that they have to resort to such "choke hold" tactics?

For goodness sake, if the NYPD officers were wrong in their arrest, they should call 911 for Emergency and help to revive the man!

What were these NYPD officers doing? Its liken to day light murder with intent and be sentenced to jail themselves.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »
What is the world coming to? Their concern was to stop him but I guess they did not apply caution when putting him under the choke-hold.  Could they have been so far carried away in trying to carry out their duty? Why did they not cuff him? It's clear to see that they did outnumber him?

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 12:07:22 PM »
Oh dear!!! Whether he is in deed committed a crime or not the trained police should not or a least be more cautious when they carry out the duty. Police force is supposed to prevent crime and protect the people and this kind of carelessness are not accepted. Om Mani Padme Hum

X

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:30:07 AM »
The police have no rights to do that to the suspect, I bet they have a better way to deal with this kind of situation. It is the police's ignorance which cause this to happen. Why did the police continue to sit on the suspect when the suspect is saying that he cant breathe. The police should not abuse their power, hence this would not happen. Now the man is dead, the family is broken, the family suffer, the children have no father and the police suffer too. This is really sad.

RedLantern

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »

What is the difference between a terrorist beheading an innocent man in Iraq and a cop killing an innocent man with a choke hold in Staten Island? Choke hold is prohibited by NYPD. He could have been saved if someone perform CPR on him.No one helped him when he was lying motionless for 7 minutes on the ground.
This is a real tragedy.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 12:58:28 PM »
Is this world becoming so cold? If the police have to use the choke hold method, can they be a little less aggressive? When the man fainted are they so cold as to just watch him lay there motionless? Nobody called 911? What is wrong with the police nowadays? Even if they have done something wrong they don't deserve to be treated like this.
Very sad indeed.

angelica

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »
"Choke hold" is a very dangerous tactic to use on arresting a suspect. It prevent the blood or air from passing thru the neck and it may lead to death. This must be BAN and other tactic should be used.

The role of NYPD is to protect and bring peace to the public but they don't have the right to kill suspect. Human life is very precious, one should not simply killed it or wasted it. I believe it is also the karma of the man that he being killed during the arrest.

Om Mani Peme Hum. May the father of six, has a good rebirth and be protected by the three jewels.

dondrup

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 05:09:38 PM »
How could the police officer Daniel Pantaleo use the illegal and banned chokehold technique?  Why the other police officers present at the scene had not offered any assistance to save the deceased Eric Garner when he complaint he couldn't breathe?  Why didn't the EMT attempt to save Eric Garner on arrival at the crime scene?  It is clearly a case of negligence, abuse of police authority and the illegal use of chokehold. 

The minor trangression hardly justified the police response causing his death. Eric Garner was merely suspected of peddling untaxed cigarettes!

Klein

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 06:03:27 AM »
"Choke hold" is a very dangerous tactic to use on arresting a suspect. It prevent the blood or air from passing thru the neck and it may lead to death. This must be BAN and other tactic should be used.

The role of NYPD is to protect and bring peace to the public but they don't have the right to kill suspect. Human life is very precious, one should not simply killed it or wasted it. I believe it is also the karma of the man that he being killed during the arrest.

Om Mani Peme Hum. May the father of six, has a good rebirth and be protected by the three jewels.

I agree with you. Our life is very fragile and unpredictable. We can just die instantly when our karma to die ripens. We often don't think about death because of many reasons. We believe we have plenty of time. This incident shows that even a healthy young man can pass away from wrongful methods used by NYPD.

It is very important that we do our practice and study the dharma before our time is up. This is because we will most likely not be connected to the dharma again if we don't practise now. We may need to wait for millions of years before we have the opportunity to continue on our path to liberation.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
This is another example of the play of karma that sentient beings experience life after life leading one form of suffering or another. We should generate the motivation to be free of this suffering either through the motivation to be liberated from samsara ie with the motivation of renunciation or to be enlightened via the motivation of benefitting all sentient beings.
This should propels us to go all the way in our practice for this is the only solution as confirmed by the Buddhas. They is no other way.

Kim Hyun Jae

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:57:59 PM »
It may be proper police procedure to prompt a "choke hold" but if the suspect were not fighting back or be holding weapons, then this police action was uncalled for and I deemed it cruelty and manslaughter, for causing death to a suspect.

It was totally unnecessary and uncalled for. Although death and karma can ripen anytime, the incident doesn't have to occur at that time. Of course no one can predict when they will meet their death.

bambi

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »
Sigh.... Another case of someone dying while being arrested.
And because there are so many of them, why even try to resist? In the end, someone has to suffer and moreover those are police officers. Should have just followed the instructions.
Such a pity, life, gone just like that. Om Mani Peme Hum...

"The father of five collapsed less than an hour after he was arrested by two plain-clothes police officers for causing a disturbance at federal election polling booths in Brisbane on September 7 last year.
He died in hospital later that day. A history of complaints made against one of the officers was among evidence tendered in court on Monday.
Polling booth official Toni Toohey told the inquest Mr Wilson had been agitated and was swearing and yelling about having to wait in a long queue in the heat at the Mt Gravatt State School.
The two on-duty officers, who were there to vote, stepped in and told the dreadlocked man to calm down.
Ms Toohey said she didn't see the whole incident but heard one police officer repeatedly tell Mr Wilson "don't touch me".
"I turned around and I noticed that Mr Wilson was on the ground with one of the policemen holding him down and the other one standing in front of him," she told the inquest.
"He was lying on the ground, he had his head on his side. A policeman had his knee on his neck and shoulder, I think holding his arm behind his back."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/heart-attack-victim-died-after-police-arrest-court-20140825-1089r4.html#ixzz3BVj7eZbd

MoMo

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »
The outcome of this incident was truly sad for both the victim and police officer.
As I watch the video, I could clearly see the two officers was dwarf by the shear size of Eric Garner. One of them at back must have intimidate by his size and retort to using the most forceful technique that come to mind; “Choke-hold”. The rest of the police officers then quickly swap in to pin him down with knee on the back of the neck, by sitting on the victim and etc. A “Choke-hold” was intended to suffocate it victim to submission, that’s why the police officer didn’t let go of the victim even when he cried that he couldn’t breath. I guess the officers only realized the severity of their actions after the victim failed to recover. Life can be so fragile and easily destroy; the time Lord Yama comes for Garner is, just being suspected for peddling illegal fag.