Author Topic: Buddhists in Pink (Moved from General Discussion)  (Read 10004 times)

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
Re: Buddhists in Pink
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 08:14:17 PM »
It is great to know that the lay community supports and extends the work of the Sangha. Nevertheless, I am often asked, as a Buddhist, why do the common folks need to sponsor monks and nuns when they don't really do anything substantial for the people. Well, I personally can't blame them for asking because they lack comprehension and belief in the need of a spiritual community to help them on the path of enlightenment. So it is important that we educate the public who are Buddhists or show interests in Buddhism on the functions, contributions and roles of the Sanghas.  :D   

I think that a lot of people do not support temples and the sangha simply because of ignorance. You are right - people usually think that why should we give our hard earned money to people who just sit around and meditate all day. The only solution is to increase awareness and educate Buddhists and potential Buddhists about the benefits of sponsorship.

(btw, this topic should be on the General Buddhism section, since it is not about Dorje Shugden?)

It has been moved to General Buddhism. Thank you WB.

diablo1974

Re: Buddhists in Pink (Moved from General Discussion)
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 05:11:08 AM »
Its not a easy task to become a nun, becoming a Buddha isnt easy at all. And its a 'long term investment'. But i rejoice that the fisherman thought of supporting the Sangha as most businesses will just keep their profits for personal use. I believe the sponsor has seen the benefits of supporting the Triple Gems as part of his life.

bambi

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »
Wonderful! So many nuns! The businessman is really smart. Instead of just killing the fishes for a living, he sponsors the nuns. I love the traditions in countries like Thailand and Myanmar where people donate to the Sanghas even though they don't have much. When I was in Thailand, people of different races would just wake up early to donate to the monks. Such a peaceful and loving sight...

metta girl

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 03:43:21 AM »
Rejoice for both the sponsor and all the nuns.Helping others is always a virtue.It will be better if the man buy a few pieces of land and do some farming. He can contribute much more than selling fish.Planting vegetables and fruits will surely help to provide their daily meals and if abundance can be sold to get some money to upgrade their living conditions.

RedLantern

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »
The video gave the viewer a sense of peace and appreciation for a peek into the culture of another world.They moved serenely in brilliant pink robes,symbolizing not only a deep spirituality but thespirituality of a beautiful culture.  It was courageous decision for a woman to opt for a renunciatory life,which was seen as both harsh and deprived of any material comforts. They are sustained by donations and material offerings from society,as well as by token fees they received for attending a variety of religious functions. Nuns are also an important part of the Buddhist community.
It is nice to see the businessman sponsoring the sangha.Although his livelihood is not recommendable ,he did a meritorious deed in helping the sangha.