Author Topic: Buddhists in Pink (Moved from General Discussion)  (Read 10005 times)

icy

Buddhists in Pink (Moved from General Discussion)
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »
Enrollment is rising at the Aung Thawada Nunnery School on the northern border of Yangon. The nuns, whose ages range from 9 to 94, join for a variety of reasons, including to escape poverty or abuse.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/09/19/world/asia/100000002309661/buddhists-in-pink.html?ref=buddhism
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:09:12 PM by vajratruth »

fruven

Re: Buddhists in Pink
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:10:35 AM »
Very good and generous of him, the business man, to practice giving by supporting the nuns financially. Woman especially nuns are less supported but they are equally as dedicated if not more in religious practices.

I noticed that at the end of the video it is showing the catch the fishermen done at the end of the day. Is the businessmen running a business of catching and selling fish?

dondrup

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »
Nuns in Myanmar like their counterparts in Sri Lanka and many South East Asian countries like Thailand, Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam do not enjoy the same recognition as the monks.

Nunnery are abound in Myanmar. However the nunneries sustain their existence very much on kind donations from well-wishers. There is no funding from the government at all. Nunnery do not command much attention and financial support than the monks in the monasteries.

It is indeed very kind of the businessman to donate to the nunnery. May the merits that he had accumulated earn him greater happiness in the future and purify his negative karma of not having the right livelihood.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »
It is just so good that business men like him donates to the Sangha. I think it is great that people offer to the Sangha.

Even though the poor have difficulties in their daily lives, they still donate in hope of reaching Nirvana.

I am just so happy that people there have such a great heart to donate for the sake of donating, doing good and collecting merits at the same time.

kris

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
The businessman sells fish for a living, and indirectly he kills a lot of fish. I would say collects quit a lot of negative karma everyday... image 2 tones of fish were killed everyday :( I am not sure if he realized it is bad karma therefore he starts donating to the nuns. However, it is still better to donate to Sangha than not doing anything.

On the other hand, it is good to see that more and more people who would give up worldly attachments to become nun. The 28 year old nun has been nun for 18 years.. wow... and she said she sees all the issues of relationship, marriage, etc.. such wisdom at such young age...

Feeling so happy after watching this video!

lotus1

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »
The businessman sells fish for a living, and indirectly he kills a lot of fish. I would say collects quit a lot of negative karma everyday... image 2 tones of fish were killed everyday :( I am not sure if he realized it is bad karma therefore he starts donating to the nuns. However, it is still better to donate to Sangha than not doing anything.

On the other hand, it is good to see that more and more people who would give up worldly attachments to become nun. The 28 year old nun has been nun for 18 years.. wow... and she said she sees all the issues of relationship, marriage, etc.. such wisdom at such young age...

Feeling so happy after watching this video!

Agreed that the main sponsor is a whole seller and selling 2 tons of fish a day is collecting so much negative karma. As he is not a religious person, luckily that he is a giving person that he gives and supports the nunnery that helps him to generate lots of positive karma. I pray that he can see the truth one day and able to change to a a good livelihood and also have resources to support the nunnery too.

On the other hand, i am so happy to see so many women are able to be sangha members. Rejoice and may the dharma spread far and wide in that region!

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »
It is great to know that the lay community supports and extends the work of the Sangha. Nevertheless, I am often asked, as a Buddhist, why do the common folks need to sponsor monks and nuns when they don't really do anything substantial for the people. Well, I personally can't blame them for asking because they lack comprehension and belief in the need of a spiritual community to help them on the path of enlightenment. So it is important that we educate the public who are Buddhists or show interests in Buddhism on the functions, contributions and roles of the Sanghas.  :D   

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »
It's always good to hear news where any female causes are being supported. We still live in a male dominated world even though we have come a long way. Nunnery never gets much recognition and support compared to monastery. Tibetan Buddhism did not even award Geshe degrees to any nun until recently and has not come to a consensus on bhiksuni ordination. I have even read that there is debate about whether one can achieve enlightenment in the female form. This is ridiculous. How can the buddha nature only be reserved for the male form?

Rihanna

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »
Dear Icy,

The Sangha census held in 1980 show 300,000 males wearing the Buddhist robes of a monk, and approximately 30,000 females in robes as Buddhist nuns  If these figures are correct, there would be ten males and one female wearing the robe in the Buddhist religious orders out of every thousand nationals in modern Burma.

So this post that you posted on Enrollment is rising at the Aung Thawada Nunnery School is very heart warming that the number of Buddhist nuns is increasing.

diamond girl

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 06:37:26 PM »
The title having the word Pink attracted my attention. I rejoice that this nunnery in Yangoon is growing and that there is a place for these women to go to to seek their spiritual home and peace. It appears that a nunnery is a place of escape and refuge... I understand that since poverty is a problem in that part of the world. But, with respect, I cannot help but to ask how these nuns contribute to the dharma and spreading Buddha's teachings? Do they teach others? Or do they just pray for others?

It is good that there is a businessman who supports them and gives them the funds to build and sustain themselves. It is afterall a fact that nothing is free. May this fish business man live long to continue helping and may he also one day have opportunity to change his business to one which is profitable but not having to kill tonnes of fish.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
It is great to know that the lay community supports and extends the work of the Sangha. Nevertheless, I am often asked, as a Buddhist, why do the common folks need to sponsor monks and nuns when they don't really do anything substantial for the people. Well, I personally can't blame them for asking because they lack comprehension and belief in the need of a spiritual community to help them on the path of enlightenment. So it is important that we educate the public who are Buddhists or show interests in Buddhism on the functions, contributions and roles of the Sanghas.  :D   

I think that a lot of people do not support temples and the sangha simply because of ignorance. You are right - people usually think that why should we give our hard earned money to people who just sit around and meditate all day. The only solution is to increase awareness and educate Buddhists and potential Buddhists about the benefits of sponsorship.

(btw, this topic should be on the General Buddhism section, since it is not about Dorje Shugden?)
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

vajrastorm

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
A major sponsor of a nunnery earns his living by being a wholesaler of fish. if we look at it this way, then whatever offerings he gives to the Sangha is tainted and hence does not earn him merits. Nonetheless, the motivation is what counts most of all. His motivation appears to be a sincere one of helping the nuns. As he says, he is not spiritual. Yet he gives to the nuns because he has  a strong desire to help. He also says he gives to the nuns because they receive far less than the monks. He will give until he dies. It also earns him merits. In fact, if we view it from the viewpoint of a sincere motivation, then his act of giving helps to cut his cycle of non-virtues and helps him create a cycle of virtues instead.   

It is important that the sangha be helped, be they monks or nuns. They are the ones to preserve the Buddhadharma.Even this simple ,yet important fact, is not known to many. Many are basically ignorant of even the role and importance of the Three Jewels in the life of every Buddhist.

Galen

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »
This generous man who gives to the nuns in the nunnery will definitely be blessed as his intention is sincere and he wants to help. From his generosity, the livelihood of the nuns becomes better and the nunnery is improved. Surely there are merits he reaped from his actions as the nunnery will benefit more people.

It is also good the see that the people in Yangon are giving in nature, even the poor gives what they can afford as they believe that they will gain some merits.

I rejoice that there are so many nuns and more enrolments coming in for the nunnery. A sea of pink looks very nice for it means that Buddhism is set to continue.

maricisun

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »
It's good that the business man may have realised that killing of the fishes is wrong therefore to ease his mind and conscience he donates to the Sangha. It is actually very auspicious and meritorious to donate to the Sangha and monks or nuns to be.
Due to his generosity the livelihood of all the nuns will be much better. Then there will be more nuns and Buddhism is set to continue.

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »
I rejoice that these women are able to find a safe haven as nun's here. The institution is lacking world-wide. When most people think of Buddhism, they think of monks. We should promote this so that when people in the future think of Buddhism in the future, they will think of ordained sangha of both genders. Now that would be something.