Author Topic: Dissuading Suicides  (Read 6266 times)

icy

Dissuading Suicides
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:13:48 PM »
What a nobel deed in a deluded world.  Priests are taking up pen to stop suicides.  Our global community can help save more people around the world to dissuade suicides with care and sincerity. 

To help turn the tide against suicide, a volunteer group of Buddhist priests, both men and women, writes letters to distraught people to help keep them from taking their own lives.

People considering suicide “write to us because they want to live,” said Yusen Maeda, a 43-year-old priest of the Soto sect. “So we write back by hand, saying in our mind ‘We want you to live. Don’t worry by yourself.’ “

The group was founded in 2007 and now receives an average of 60 letters per month from people in trouble.

The members of the group discuss the problems described in the letters, but there is no manual to follow, said Kenichi Yoshida, 44, chief priest of a Jodo-sect temple in Hiratsuka, Kanagawa Prefecture. “We write on a case-by-case basis.”

Yoshida joined the group five years ago. “I first thought I couldn’t do this,” he recalled. “But when I read a letter for the first time, I was switched on. Suicide, which is a general social problem, became a problem of ‘you and me’ as far as I’m concerned.”

After university, Yoshida thought little of his future. Without a job, he mainly stayed home, or occasionally went camping.

At the urging of his grandfather, a schoolteacher and priest, he then qualified to become a Buddhist priest. But his grandfather’s temple had too few financial supporters, so Yoshida began working at a funeral service company.

“I wanted to know about funeral services because I thought they were the same as the work of priests,” Yoshida said.

Over the next 10 years, he witnessed various kinds of responses to death at the company. For example, a woman who had just lost her husband asked him, “Is my husband in heaven?”

Buddhist priests, who attend funeral services after all preparations are completed, often reject the word “heaven,” Yoshida said.

“It doesn’t matter,” he stressed, saying people who have lost their loved ones want priests to understand their sorrow.

“Our role is to side with their sentiment regarding life and death rather than having them comply with our teachings,” he said.

His experience at the funeral service company reinforced his resolve to live as a priest.

Bereaved people show different reactions, according to Yoshida. For instance, the widow of a man who committed suicide might be blamed by his relatives for failing to recognize his pain, while her children are conceal their sorrow out of concern for her.

Emotional support for people whose relatives have committed suicide is one of the core activities of the group.

The letters written by Yoshida contain “genuine and heartfelt messages” to people seeking advice, said Maeda, chief priest of the Soto-sect Shozan Temple in Minato Ward, Tokyo, who acts as secretariat for the group.

They are “warm letters and you should feel pleased if you receive them,” added Yukan Ogawa, 36, a priest of the Jodo sect.

While people who have lost their children often work hard to forget the grief, they can’t move on unless they have a place where they can unload, Yoshida said.

“They don’t have to understand Buddhist scriptures, when chanted, but sit relaxed and remember their lost children for an hour,” he said.

“We sit between Buddha and bereaved families to convey this thought to them.”

Suicide remains a serious national problem, though the annual number dropped below 30,000 in 2012 for the first time in 15 years. Since its foundation, the group of Buddhist priests has received more than 5,000 letters from people contemplating suicide.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/11/21/national/priests-take-up-pen-to-stop-suicides/?#.Uo6ATZQpb6k

icy

Re: Dissuading Suicides
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »
Because of mistakenly believing that outer problems are their own problems, most people seek ultimate refuge in the wrong objects. As a result, their suffering and problems never end. For as long as we are unable to control our delusions such as attachment, we shall have to experience suffering and problems continually, throughout this life and in life after life without end. If people have no knowledge of this, or take refuge in the Three Jewels, they would attempt to end their lives for their endless suffering and problems as a short cut to solve their seemly unsolved problems.

This is where a support group like these priests can dissuade them from attempting suicides.

fruven

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:24:50 AM »
Very happy they have put in effort although the outcome is uncertain. One can see they have sincere motivation, ie providing emotional support to those who have suicidal thoughts. This is a common problem in Japan. Also less serious than suicidal individual, depression is quite common in many other countries nowadays.

I feel the news report has done a good job in promoting Buddhism and how it can help people who are suffering emotionally. People should get support from others' when they're feeling very negative, not just keeping it to themselves.

RedLantern

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »
One can only hope that the society and government will manage to find the right mix of policies to help reduce the incidence of suicide further.It would be useful to compare the rates with those in China,Taiwan,Hong Kong,Singapore and etc given some of the shared religions and cultural traditions.
I suppose it would be impossible to draw too many direct comparisions.It is sad but inevitable that some will not be able to respond quickly enough to the pace of change.
It is very sad to hear the suicide news in Japan.My sympathy and prayers go to the Japanese people in these troubled times.

Manisha Kudo

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »
It is sad when a person decides to end his or own life.  :-\ And this is because they mistakenly believe that there is no more hope and reason to be alive. With an avenue to voice their last words, they are heard and would probably be convinced. I suppose that by having sufficient mind training a Buddhist priest is able to assist in dissuading suicides and those who write in also feel comfortable and trust a religious person. This is a fantastic way to serve society. 

metta girl

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:50:12 AM »
Suicide is an act of self-destruction,and is considered by Buddhism as one of the most serious crime.It is said that a person who commit sucide will simply be reborn with the additional bad karma of the suicide to contend with.Lama Tsongkhapa said "It is an incredibly precious chance for one to be born as a human being in this life.If we spoiled the treasurable life, we could commit the sin of damaging the human life with leisure and advantages to practice Buddhism."

Freyr Aesiragnorak

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 04:21:29 AM »
I'm glad that the Priests are helping others by dissuading them from committing suicide. I read an alarming statistic a while ago in the British newspapers that the highest proportion of those who commit suicide in the UK are men between the ages of 18-25. This was attributed, psychologically, to pressures in daily life but on a more Dharmic level shows just how ingrained the three poisons are in our lives. 

While we can all condemn others because we are "practicing the Dharma" and can quote scriptural references outlying the negative repercussions of suicide, it seems that this is taking the easy way out. There's no problem discussing it here but how many of you have known someone who has committed suicide and the reasons behind it? We are all stuck in Samara together, so we should be helping others, just like this group of Priests. People are more complicated than we think and judge, just look at our own minds. These Priest are helping in a way that they can, and I rejoice. If only we had more people who helped those who are suicidal, most of the time they only want others to hear them but cannot find the right way to express themselves to others in their daily lives. It is fantastic that the Priests have given them a way TO communicate with others. 

To be able to serve others in this way is truly compassion in action. Yes the optimum human rebirth is precious and we should use it to the fullest and we can use this as our justification to condemn the action of suicide, but how are we any better. Are we all using our human lives to the fullest potential of attaining enlightenment so that we can benefit even more beings in the future? I'm certainly not.     

dondrup

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »
I do concur with what Freyr Aesiragnorak had said about condemning these suicidal acts.  It is easier to point out their faults.  But unless we are in their positions, we will not really realised how painful their miseries are prompting them to take their own lives!  It is not their faults, it is merely their ignorance about the true meaning of life and the workings of Karma.  Many people have turned to suicides thinking that by ending their lives, every obstacle, problem, unhappiness, pain and so on that they had been experiencing will cease upon their death. 

Those who know Dharma understand the preciousness of human lives and the workings of karma.  The truth is Karma continues in their next lives and the negative karma of killing one's own life is heavy! Those who had died committing suicides will repeat this suicidal act in their next lives!  What could be more unpleasant than the negative karma ripening upon them in their next lives?  What could be more unfortunate than losing a precious human life?

It is truly very kind of these Japanese priests to lend their support and listening ears to those attempting suicides.  With the medicine of Dharma and skilful means, these priests will be able to help transform the minds of these beings.  May these pitiful beings be blessed by the Three Jewels and be completely free from their sufferings.

icy

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:46:42 AM »
Many people believe that when the body disintegrates at death, the continuum of the mind ceases and the mind becomes non-existent, like a candle flame that goes out when all the wax has burned. There are even some people who contemplate committing suicide in the hope that if they die their problems and sufferings will end. These ideas, however, are completely wrong. Our body and mind are separate entities, so even though the body disintegrates at death, the continuum of the mind remains unbroken. Instead of ceasing, the mind simply leaves the present body and goes to the next life. For ordinary beings, therefore, instead of releasing us from suffering, death only brings new sufferings.