Author Topic: Famed Buddhist temple going global  (Read 6279 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Famed Buddhist temple going global
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:01:40 AM »
Shaolin is going global!

Famed Buddhist temple going global
Updated: 2013-06-19 10:17

The Shaolin Temple [Photo by Wang Zirui/Asianewsphoto]

The Shaolin Temple, known as the cradle of Chinese kung fu, is preparing to stage its first cultural festival in the United States as part of efforts to expand its global clout.

The first North America Shaolin Cultural Festival is scheduled to be held from Oct 8 to 14 in Los Angeles, according to Shi Yongxin, abbot of the Buddhist temple in the city of Dengfeng in Central China's Henan province.

The temple has successfully hosted an annual Shaolin Temple Day in California for nine consecutive years, Shi said.

He added that the temple has over a million followers in North America.

"We're working to build a platform to support exchanges between Shaolin disciples and kung fu lovers across the world," he said.

Over the last two decades, Shi and his disciples have visited more than 60 countries and regions, mainly to stage kung fu shows. The abbot regularly spends two months a year conducting overseas trips.

Finding their Zen in sports

In September, Shi will lead a delegation to take part in an international martial music festival to be held in Russia. The "Shaolin fighting monks" will demonstrate their kung fu skills in Moscow's Red Square, according to Shi.

Shaolin kung fu has gained worldwide popularity through the success of Chinese kung fu movies, particularly those filmed in the 1970s.

Shi said training for the inheritors of Buddhism has been crucial to the 1,500-year-old temple's development.

"We encourage our young monks to travel overseas to expound scriptures and pursue their practice. We also welcome people all over the world to learn kung fu and practice Zen Buddhism," he said.

The temple, which has more than 300 locally registered monks, also has more than 40 overseas culture centers, mostly in the United States and Europe.

Shi said he expects a boom in Buddhism's popularity in the west and believes that the religion can blend well with western culture.

"Buddhism can win respect from the world because it can peacefully co-exist with other religions. It focuses on the purification of the soul," he explained.

In order to bring Shaolin martial arts to a wider audience, Shi has joined hands with a Beijing-based film company to shoot a 3D kungfu movie -- a remake of the 1982 blockbuster "Shaolin Temple".

Born in East China's Anhui province, Shi became abbot of the Shaolin Temple in 1999. He has courted controversy in recent years for developing business operations, such as profitable kung fu shows and online sales, and has subsequently been referred to as China's "CEO monk".

However, Shi said he always insists on making time to meditate, despite his tight schedule.

"How wonderful it would be if I could sit in my meditation room for dozens of days at a time," he mused.

"That's what I hope for my life from the bottom of my heart," he said.

Big Uncle

Re: Famed Buddhist temple going global
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
As much as I respect those great living tradition but Shaolin does little to propagate Buddhism. Shaolin is always associated with martial arts and never with Buddhism. I find that very sad and degenerated. I would be alarmed because martial arts discipline no matter how steep it is in in Buddhist philosophy cannot be compared to actual Buddhist practice. Therefore, I think the monks should strike a balance between their martial arts discipline and meditation and philosophical learning. If I am not mistaken that Shaolin is one of the main places where Zen Buddhism originated from but sadly, this aspect has been neglected in favor of the ever-popular martial arts. Wouldn't be nice if they reversed it or at least strike a good balance. All is always possible.

diablo1974

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »
Shaolin temple was once famous before for buddhism but now it has changed very much due to China fast paced economic and materialistic society. "No money no talk" becomes a common benchmark for things to get done fast in China. The name of Shaolin has becomes a brand that can be marketed into products and businesses instead of propitiating the Buddhadharma, especially the Zen Buddhism by The Great Master Damo. Shaolin changed to look more like a business organisation than a spiritual foothold after the current Abbot took over. Its losing its glorious and lustre that she used to have, i thought it would be more appropriate if it were to become a Buddhist institution. 

kris

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »
I agree with diablo1974 that Shaolin temple is now looks more like a business/brand than spiritual organization. It has way too much business related activities especially on the kung fu, but not much is heard about their spiritual side. I hope I am wrong though..

With Shaolin's fame, I felt they should organize more spiritual related classes and even degree courses like the Fuo Guang or Tzu Chi organization...

samayakeeper

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:36:17 AM »
I think there must be schedule for dharma classes, meditation, arts, science, philosophy, etc for the mind training. Maybe qi gong is taught in their exercise class for a fitter and healthier body. It would give us a better insight if any reader here has first hand knowledge to share.

pgdharma

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »
Buddhism is considered to be a peaceful religion, with emphasis on principles such as non-violence, vegetarianism and self-sacrifice to avoid harming others.

The Shaolin Monastery is the most famous temple in China, renowned for its kung fu fighting monks and the Shaolin monks have created a world-wide reputation as the ultimate Buddhist warriors. Shaolin monks train their whole lives in various disciplines. They train in kung fu, mindfulness meditation martial arts and many gymnastics-style physical skills. They also have strict nutritional guidelines that they live by. However, it will be more beneficial if they were to incorporate Buddha’s Teachings into their trainings which can help them further their spiritual journey.

Benny

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
I consider this development as a positive one , as long as people embrace the shaolin practice in its entirety and true spirit . I can safely say that across the globe , in places where there are no buddhist monks such as in the middle east , it is thanks to Hollywood's Shaolin Kung fu movies that brought images of buddhist monks and what they stand for , to those people. Some how or other seeds of Buddhism are planted in these peoples mind streams . There is no denying that Shaolin kung is not only a healthy sport , healthy body leads to a healthy mind , it also promotes healthy vegetarian eating habits , meditation and also qi gong ! Wow ! If that is not good enough as a start for a beginner buddhist , i dont know what is .

fruven

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
As much as I respect those great living tradition but Shaolin does little to propagate Buddhism. Shaolin is always associated with martial arts and never with Buddhism. I find that very sad and degenerated. I would be alarmed because martial arts discipline no matter how steep it is in in Buddhist philosophy cannot be compared to actual Buddhist practice. Therefore, I think the monks should strike a balance between their martial arts discipline and meditation and philosophical learning. If I am not mistaken that Shaolin is one of the main places where Zen Buddhism originated from but sadly, this aspect has been neglected in favor of the ever-popular martial arts. Wouldn't be nice if they reversed it or at least strike a good balance. All is always possible.

Most of the Shaolin kungfu movies in the past portray it as a superior form of unarmed and armed close combat skills. In the movies it is the good versus bad, revenge, payback time. I would say that deep insightful dialogue is totally non-existence in the movie script. I could be wrong.

It would be a good to have kungfu movie in future with elements on karma, and impermanence. Some of the movies now has theme such as reincarnation, supernatural beings which is quite wonderful.