Author Topic: I was a hypocrite: Dalai Lama  (Read 6607 times)

DSFriend

I was a hypocrite: Dalai Lama
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »
It sure does take a big man to admit that he is a hypocrite. Perhaps one day HHDL will make positive surprising statements about Dorje Shugden?

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/I-was-a-hypocrite-Dalai-Lama/articleshow/9557747.cms

NEW DELHI: The Dalai Lama on Wednesday said he was a "hypocrite" all these years as he held spiritual and political responsibilities together in spite of knowing that these two matters should be separate.

The Tibetan spiritual leader, who recently gave up his the political responsibility, said "now I feel I am committed to what I have been saying all these years."

"Religious and political institutions should be separate but while I was saying this, I combined the two myself until now... So in a way it was being a hypocrite," he said in a lighter vein at a function at the National Commission for Minorities.

The 76-year-old Tibetan leader said he had served as political head of the Tibetan government for 60 years from the age of 16 to the age of 76 and it is time to claim retirement from this responsibility.

A smiling Dalai Lama said though he has resigned from his political responsibility "but still I am his Holiness Dalai Lama."

He said being a believer in the theory of re-birth, he felt he should retire to prepare for his next birth.

Recalling an incident of his interaction with a Chinese fellow, the Dalai Lama said he was asked why he called himself a "Chela" (disciple) of India. "I said every part of my body is filled by India thoughts. For 50 years my body was survived by Indian daal," he said.

Big Uncle

Re: I was a hypocrite: Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:05:15 PM »
The Dalai Lama is always disarming with his thorough honesty and piercing logic. I am so amazed that he has held office for so long and I say this because I believe this thought had always been with him. It is not a recent realisation. I am sure he fought with this inner battle for the longest time and the only reason he held onto office was because the Tibetans hold him with such a high regard and that if he 'abdicated' earlier, they would lose all hope during the sensitive period of the exodus.

Besides being a symbol of Tibetan hope, he probably held office to ensure the survival of the Buddhadharma and not only has he succeeded, he made it spread all over the world and made the Tibetan Buddhist tradition a worldwide accepted religion. By being 'hypocritical', he brought tremendous benefit to humanity.

Tammy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:21 PM »
HHDL is one of the greatest man on earth, I am sure he has strong reason(s) to have imposed ban on the practice of DS. A great man would do everything within his means to achieve his vision even if it means scarifying his reputation!

Now that HHDL had step down as the political head of Tibetan Government in excile, I am looking fwd to his announcement re DS which I am sure is forthcoming, soon.
Down with the BAN!!!

DSFriend

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
I am sure HHDL is not the only one in his government realizing that it was a bad idea to mix politics with religion. The people who worked with and for HHDL's cause must have known this but they continued to give HHDL the support.

Did they supported HHDL because :

- they really believed mixing politics and religion was good fo them?
- they did not believe but went along purely because of guru devotion to HHDL?
- they were afraid to be in conflict with HHDL because of fear of karmic repercussions?
- there were afraid to be thrown into the dungeons of the potala?
- they didn't care about politics and religion but merely did the job for a living?

I find the Tibetan politics quite intriguing due to the religious element towards their spiritual leaders. Now that the new Kalon Tripa is in position, how will "loyalty" be displayed to the new political leader?

DharmaDefender

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 05:29:25 AM »
It sure does take a big man to admit that he is a hypocrite. Perhaps one day HHDL will make positive surprising statements about Dorje Shugden?

Source : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/I-was-a-hypocrite-Dalai-Lama/articleshow/9557747.cms

NEW DELHI: The Dalai Lama on Wednesday said he was a "hypocrite" all these years as he held spiritual and political responsibilities together in spite of knowing that these two matters should be separate.

The Tibetan spiritual leader, who recently gave up his the political responsibility, said "now I feel I am committed to what I have been saying all these years."

"Religious and political institutions should be separate but while I was saying this, I combined the two myself until now... So in a way it was being a hypocrite," he said in a lighter vein at a function at the National Commission for Minorities.

The 76-year-old Tibetan leader said he had served as political head of the Tibetan government for 60 years from the age of 16 to the age of 76 and it is time to claim retirement from this responsibility.

A smiling Dalai Lama said though he has resigned from his political responsibility "but still I am his Holiness Dalai Lama."

He said being a believer in the theory of re-birth, he felt he should retire to prepare for his next birth.

Recalling an incident of his interaction with a Chinese fellow, the Dalai Lama said he was asked why he called himself a "Chela" (disciple) of India. "I said every part of my body is filled by India thoughts. For 50 years my body was survived by Indian daal," he said.

Two things from this yeah - how humble to call himself a hypocrite, and how humble he is to say he survived on the kindness of India.

And even now, hes continuing to introduce the idea that he may be wrong, so Tibetans stop relying on him to be infallible. And in that way, when the new Kalon Tripa starts to make his presence felt, the Tibetans wont have such high expectations of him and will find it easier to forgive his mistakes. At least, thats the way I see it.

vajrastorm

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 05:48:10 AM »
I see HH  Dalai Lama, in all his decisions and the timing of his decisions , 'working'  with the enlightened and compassionate mind of Chenrezig.

To the Dalai lama, his main role is as a spiritual leader, leader of Buddhism/Tibetan Buddhism. But for him to be effective in this role,in Tibet then and until recently, in the whole world, he also had to assume the political role as head of the Tibetan Government.

However, Tibet, as a political entity, is no more. The cultural and spiritual 'genocide' of Tibet within Tibet, has already been completed by the Chinese government  Yet, there is a young generation of Tibetans in exile, who clamor to have Tibet restored as an independent country as before. Thus at this stage, it became timely for the political role of the Dalai Lama to be separated from his spiritual role and for someone completely political to take over. Hence the effected split of the political from the spiritual and the handing over of the political role to a relatively young and highly qualified  man - the new Kalon Tripa. So, to all eyes of the world, the Dalai Lama  is now focusing solely on the spiritual.

The China issue is now fully in the hands of the new Kalon Tripa. He will be handling all negotiations with China. The Dalai Lama will no longer be involved. despite China's continuous targeting of him as the author of all Tibetan efforts to gain independence from China.

All this while, the Dalai Lama has,in fact, been focusing on his spiritual role, which is to spread the Dharma everywhere.. The result of this is evident - with his tireless efforts, 'Buddhism' has become a household word. Through his efforts and the efforts of great Lamas and Masters, Tibetan Buddhism is also spreading everywhere.

In this degenerate age, only the pure teachings of Je Tsongkapa will effectively help people free themselves from suffering and the causes of suffering. Hence, the practice of Dorje Shugden, the great Protector of Je Tsongkapa's teachings, must be spread everywhere, especially in populous China(the great power house of today). Hence,the Dalai Lama's enlightened activity to spread Dorje Shugden clicked in, with his ban of Dorje Shugden practice. China now endorses Dorje Shugden. We don't know how the Dalai Lama's enlightened activities will manifest. But we do know that his altruistic purpose of spreading Dharma, of the nature  most needed in this age, will prevail.

kris

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 12:05:31 PM »
It is never easy to take on both the roles of politics and spiritual, because they are very opposite things (to me). Of course he is not hypocrite. To me, he is very charismatic and with his skillful methods, many westerns know about Buddhism.

Now that he has stepped down from the political scene, it would be very interesting to know what will happen to Dorje Shugden ban :)

Gabby Potter

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 12:21:35 PM »
I would look at this issue in a way that His Holiness is actually pushing Dorje Shugden issue to the limelight, His Holiness has His own strategies and there's no way we can blame Him or judge Him unless we know better or our attainments are higher, which is impossible. I would say that let's leave His Holiness alone, stop criticising Him, let His Holiness do what He thinks is right and we should just done our own parts.

Matibhadra

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 04:33:33 PM »
I would look at this issue in a way that His Holiness is actually pushing Dorje Shugden issue to the limelight,

Any criminal act brings the victim to the limelight. The fact that you rejoice on such limelight at the cost of the victims shows your own criminal mentality.

His Holiness has His own strategies and there's no way we can blame Him or judge Him unless we know better or our attainments are higher, which is impossible.

This is because according to you crime is the supreme virtue, and a great criminal is above and beyond ordinary people. Any mafioso thinks of their capo mafioso as supreme.