Author Topic: The Miracle of 'Ram-Setu' Floating Stone  (Read 12893 times)

DS Star

The Miracle of 'Ram-Setu' Floating Stone
« on: July 06, 2013, 11:59:57 PM »
Small | Large

Thousands of Hindu devotees throng to witness a miracle floating stone believed to be a stone from Ram Setu the miracle bridge.

Ram Setu Bridge, believed by Hindus to be a bridge built by Lord Ram to journey to Lanka. This bridge is said to be one of the most important religious sites for Hindus, and plays a significant role in the Ramayana epic. Legend has it that the Ram Setu bridge was built by Hanuman’s vanar sena to enable Ram and his army to cross the Palk Strait, march into Lanka, slay Ravan and rescue Sita.

Is this really a miracle?

What is Buddhist's view for such a 'miracle' that defies scientific explanation?

hope rainbow

Re: The Miracle of 'Ram-Setu' Floating Stone
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 03:42:44 AM »
PUMICE

This is probably pumice, an igneous rock that has encapsulated lots of air bubbles during its formation process that is through a volcanic eruption.
Two facts about the pumice:
1. it is light in weight (you can see people holding it high easily in the video),
2. the force of the encapsulated air to go above the water overpowers the force of attraction pushing the stone to sink.

YET, and let's say i am right about pumice, it does not take away any of its spiritual significance.
NONE AT ALL.

Why not?
Because this is not a battle "science" against "true reality" (which is an idea that Western societies have entertained on wrong foundations).
Science can explain many things through reliable methods of investigations, but it still works WITHIN the sensory world, within a limited realm.
The true reality could not compete with science, on the opposite, the only way that the truth of reality may be approached by science is for science to be proving it.

We cannot oppose a bigger reality to a smaller reality within the bigger one...

fruven

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:46:06 PM »
My first thought was there must be a lot of air inside the stone from a scientific viewpoint. If something can float on water it can be either lighter than the water density such as wood or the force of buoyancy makes it float such as a ship. It doesn't need to take a miracle to make something float on water.

In the video I see that one person is sufficient to hold such a large stone and put into the big basin by himself. To me it is definitely a huge but very light stone.  ;D

Q

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
Yes I believe there is a scientific explanation about this before. I remember Stephan Hawkings once explained in a documentary about the vibrations of the atoms that if a person is able to control a certain thing (don't know what) within the body, they can cause the repel effect between their body atoms and the surface they are standing/sitting on, thus levitation occurs

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »
Hehehe. I was actually thinking of Erich Von Daniken and his chariot of the gods. My first impression on watching the movie is that the stone could be a remnant of alien technology that has altered the stone for whatever purpose. The premise of Erich Von Daniken is that advance ancient aliens made contact with primitive humans for exploration, contact or whatever benign reasons. To the primitive humans, the advance aliens are viewed as Gods for their magical technology. That's how I saw this little stone.

Some of the ancient Indian epics like the Ramayana could very well be a dressed up story of advance alien encounters. I know my theory is not Buddhist but anyway, the Buddha did mention that there are other worlds and beings that are of great distances or they live on another plane of existence that we are unable to perceive at this time. So alien and alien technology is very possible concepts even in the context of Buddhism. However, that is hardly addressed or mentioned by the Buddha because such knowledge play a very small role or not role at all in our spiritual evolution.