Author Topic: Tina Turner in a Buddhist Marriage  (Read 7484 times)

Q

Tina Turner in a Buddhist Marriage
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:32:49 PM »
Just got news that one of the most popular singers of all time, a Nichiren Buddhist is getting married.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/tina-turner-marries-second-time-buddhist-ceremony?

I guess we all know the story of Tina Turner, how she gained strength from Buddhism and picked herself up from rags to richness after her bitter 1st marriage ended. I have always found her life story inspiring, I wonder if any other famous people out there that actually have a similar story to hers.

RedLantern

Re: Tina Turner in a Buddhist Marriage
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
One of the living example of how Buddhism can change one's life.Illustrated by black American singer Tina Turner.She was at the lowest point in her life when she met Valerie Bishop( a Buddhist ),who counsel her spiritually.Tina knew nothing about Buddhism at that time and almost immediately the teachings of Buddha - that nobody but you yourself is in control of fate-struck a cord within her.By reciting mantra, her anger turned to strength.Believing in Buddha's teachings that fate is in her own hands,she worked hard to reestablish her singing career in the 80's and 90's.
Today,she plans to spread the words of Dharma after she retired from her singing career.May she be happy and may she have a smooth spiritual path to benefit others.Rejoice and congratulations .

DS Star

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:06:45 PM »
One of the living example of how Buddhism can change one's life.Illustrated by black American singer Tina Turner.She was at the lowest point in her life when she met Valerie Bishop( a Buddhist ),who counsel her spiritually.Tina knew nothing about Buddhism at that time and almost immediately the teachings of Buddha - that nobody but you yourself is in control of fate-struck a cord within her.By reciting mantra, her anger turned to strength.Believing in Buddha's teachings that fate is in her own hands,she worked hard to reestablish her singing career in the 80's and 90's.
Today,she plans to spread the words of Dharma after she retired from her singing career.May she be happy and may she have a smooth spiritual path to benefit others.Rejoice and congratulations .

Tina Turner's story is very inspiring to encourage people about picking up their life after a trauma, especially for the beaten/ abused wives.

Faith, and in Tina's case is Buddhism, played a very important role in helping a person to stand up against the harsh challenge in life. Religion is important when all other hopes are gone. Sometimes, what keeps a person from going insane is the faith in their heart...

That is why it is very important to have religion practice in a family life especially to instill proper religion teachings to children when they are growing up. This will help them to face the future challenges in their lives.

pgdharma

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »
Tina Turner is a very strong and dynamic lady. Her faith in Buddhism has made her overcome the difficulties in her life and led her to gain back self confidence, becoming a stronger and more powerful person. I am glad she found spirituality in her life during her dullest moments and I wish her well in her second marriage.

kris

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »
I first got to learn about Tina Turner's association with Buddhism is her Buddhist Chanting. You can just google "Tuna Turner Buddhist Chanting" enjoy her special chanting. In one of the interviews, she mentioned that the sound resonates with our inner core. I am glad people like Tina Turner came about and introduce people around the world about Buddhism. Rejoice!

bambi

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
I googled to read more about Tina Turner... Wow! She has gone a long way. From being an abused victim, she turned her life around with Buddhism! How wonderful! At least, she did not take it out on others nor give up. I am very happy that Buddhism has helped her. And I too found Buddhism when I thought everything else is lost. And I know many of us got saved by Buddhism!