Author Topic: Former transsexual beauty queen becomes a monk  (Read 10359 times)

Q

Former transsexual beauty queen becomes a monk
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
Read this news just 5 minutes ago... beauty transgender queen is becoming a monk! Such great news.

I wonder what made him want to pursue the monastic life so suddenly after all the glamour and attention he's received from winning the beauty contest. It must be something very inspiring.

__________________________________________________________________________________

The winner of Thailand’s 2009 “Miss Tiffany” transsexual beauty contest has entered the Buddhist monkhood with plans to stay there the rest of his life, reports said Tuesday.

“I want to be a monk for the rest of my life and I’m ready to leave my worldly possessions behind,” Sorrawee Nattee, 24, said after becoming a monk Sunday evening in Songkhla province, 700 kilometres south of Bangkok.

Sorrawee, who goes by the nickname of Jazz, never underwent transgender surgery and had his breast implants removed before taking his vows, his family told the Bangkok Post.

In Thailand, while women can become Buddhist nuns, only men can enter the more highly regarded monkhood, with its attendant religious and social functions.

“Jazz is 100% man, both emotionally and physically,” said the abbot of Liab Temple, where Sorrawee has taken up residence.

Jessie Fong

Re: Former transsexual beauty queen becomes a monk
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:30:15 AM »
Sorrawee was just 20 years old when he was crowned in Pattaya on 16 May 2009.

The Miss Tiffany Universe contest had been running for almost 15 years now with the aim of promoting human rights for the transgender population in Thailand, where all contestants are transsexuals (transvestites).

In Thailand, transsexuals are given the Thai name "Katoey" where they are considered a third gender.

Jazz, now Phra Maha Viriyo Bhikku, said that he also wanted to enter the monkhood to repay his parents. "It's not that I've become a monk to run away from problems, but I've studied dharma for two years and now know what it truly is."

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »
Sorrawee was just 20 years old when he was crowned in Pattaya on 16 May 2009.

The Miss Tiffany Universe contest had been running for almost 15 years now with the aim of promoting human rights for the transgender population in Thailand, where all contestants are transsexuals (transvestites).

In Thailand, transsexuals are given the Thai name "Katoey" where they are considered a third gender.

Jazz, now Phra Maha Viriyo Bhikku, said that he also wanted to enter the monkhood to repay his parents. "It's not that I've become a monk to run away from problems, but I've studied dharma for two years and now know what it truly is."

Interesting, but perhaps he is just a transverstite? Because this is what is said by the abbot:

Jazz is 100% man, both emotionally and physically,” said the abbot of Liab Temple, where Sorrawee has taken up residence.

But what is wonderful is to read that someone wants to be a monk because they understand what Buddhism is and have studied what it is. Perhaps after all the glitz and glam of the situation, he has realized that none of it would bring him lasting happiness and he has seen through the shallowness of his situation. I rejoice for him because he has found a new lease of life that will benefit him a lot more in the long run.

DS Star

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:28:28 PM »
“Jazz is 100% man, both emotionally and physically,” said the abbot of Liab Temple, where Sorrawee has taken up residence.

The Abbot made the above declaration because it is a prerequisite in the Vinaya that one gender cannot wish to be another gender if one is to be ordained as a Sangha member; a man cannot wish or lives as a woman if he is to be ordained as a Buddhist monk and similarly a woman cannot wish and lives as a man if she is to take ordination as a Buddhist nun. There is an exception though, on a very special case...

"Some Buddhist orders may specifically prohibit transgender, homosexually active, or homosexually oriented people from ordination but accept homosexuality among laypersons.

Regarding transsexual people, the earliest texts mention the possibility of a person supernaturally changing sexes; such a person is not barred from ordination, and if already ordained, simply changes orders." (Peter Harvey, An Introduction to Buddhist Ethics. Cambridge University Press, 2000, page 412)

All said, Buddhism is the most lenient religion in its approach towards homosexuality issue, as compared to the other major religions. Perhaps it is due the compassionate nature of Buddha's teachings  :)

kris

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »
So glad to hear people has the fame and they gave up everything for Dharma. It inspires many people to let go and renounce from young age.

From a second thought, he showed us what it means to be impermanent. Guy can become girl, then back to guy, and then everything become not important :)

sonamdhargey

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »
Wow a transgender beauty queen became a monk is something very rare, even a straight men becoming a monk is rare enough these days. But to say Buddhism is the most lenient religion for the trandgenders? I think Buddhism is not about leniency and thus by saying Buddhsim is the most lenient religion it it's approach to homosexuality issue is not accurate. Correct me if I'm wrong, Buddhism teaches us about harmony, peace, respect and acceptance towards one another and that itself does not create the indifference among each other becuase of the core values that Buddhism has to offer. All these are just labels to devide us all by segregrating genders and what not.

Big Uncle

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 09:21:36 AM »
Well, I rejoice because she has the merit and insight to see beyond worldly affairs. This man definitely wants to be a woman or he wouldn't have pursued Ms Tiffany. Simultaneously, she pursued Dharma and it came to a point where she realized the futility of being crowned Ms Tiffany and no matter how much praises, attention and probably other 'perks' of being so pretty, it doesn't change the fact that she's not a girl and will never be. No surgery will change things. Only through Dharma that one can be liberated from such grasping at gender identity. I applaud her practice and wish her all the success in her monkhood. It is very rare that a transgender is able to overcome her over-riding grasping at being a woman. This is a good story and one that reveals the transformative effect of the Dharma. Dharma has no preference for man or woman but only grasping or non-grasping.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:25:44 AM by Big Uncle »

dondrup

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 05:30:46 PM »
Jazz must have a great amount of merit to enter monkhood after what he had gone through.  It is rare to see someone like him.  Many transvestites had suffered a lot emotionally and physically prior to their sex change. And once they have decided to change their sex to become a woman, they would not reverse their decision.  Jazz is one rare exception for not performing the sex change operation too!  It is also commendable of him to show that monkhood is a better career choice than pursuing a glamorous life after winning the Miss Tiffany Thailand 2009 title.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »
Here's an opinion article on this:

And he's a transversite, not a transsexual, he is still a man physically.
Buddhism won't be harmed by ex-drag queen

The Nation May 18, 2013 1:00 am
Critics say that, by ordaining as a monk, a celebrity transvestite is using the religion for selfish reasons, but, like everyone else, he has the right to seek solace in the temple

One key argument against the decision by a former Miss Tiffany to become a monk is that he may be doing so to escape personal problems or send someone a statement. In other words, he may not be seeking the kind of spiritual peace that those seeking ordination are supposed to. Religion, critics of Sorrawee "Jazz" Nattee say, is neither a hiding place nor a means of revenge.

Sorrawee, who never underwent gender reassignment, was quietly ordained recently after having his silicone breast implants removed, only for the fact to emerge as headline news in the Thai-language media.

The criticism levelled at him might have greater weight in a society where monks are not caught drunk or sleeping with women on a regular basis. The truth is that the Thai monkhood is far from being a pure sanctuary, and there are monks whose conduct deserves more scrutiny than Sorrawee's.

More truth is that Sorrawee is simply exercising his religious freedom. It is irrelevant that he was crowned Miss Tiffany in 2009, dressed in women's clothes. Buddhist history has examples of monks with more controversial backgrounds. Among them was one well-known Angulimala, a killer who was redeemed by his conversion to Buddhism.

Sorrawee had been frequenting temples before his decision. He also consulted many people before deciding to be ordained. It was clearly not a knee-jerk decision made in the heat of the moment. And even if it had been, why should we blame him? One way or another, people turn to religion because they believe they are facing problems that cannot be resolved in the lay world.

Some have predicted that Sorrawee's time in the monkhood will be short-lived - a quick in-and-out way of seeking religious solace. They say Sorrawee will be out of the monkhood in no time if the worldly situation that drove him there in the first place suddenly improves. Again, even if that turns out to be the case, religious freedom tells us that he has every right to try the spiritual peace of Buddhism. This religion is supposed to offer comfort during hard times and does not hold anyone in a firm grip. It's fine if you want to spend the rest of your life in a Buddhist sanctuary, but it's also fine if you just want to give it a try.

That women can only become "nuns", not monks, has been a focus of criticism where Buddhism is concerned. This must continue to be an issue that invokes constant debate and open-minded analyses. But by and large, Buddhism is generous, compassionate and encourages questioning.

Buddhism has not been free from exploitation. There have been sects or cults that preach that, the greater your religious donations - meaning money - the greater your chance of going to "Heaven". True students of Buddhism know within their hearts, however, that such teaching is not the religion's true essence.

If there are threats that might undermine Buddhism as Thailand's main religion, then they are represented by this kind of wayward teaching, not people like Sorrawee becoming monks. He, in the saffron robe, only represents the religion's openness and ability to offer peace and comfort. Whether he will "succeed" or "fail" will be of his own accord. No misguided "principles" will emerge to influence him while he is in the monkhood.

Despite the undeniable flaws of the Thai monkhood in general, Buddhism's real essence has been unwavering since the day the Lord Buddha proclaimed the religion. If Sorrawee really devotes himself to Buddhist study as a monk, he will find that many things that he takes as his are not really his. He will be able to look back at his time as Miss Tiffany with a new perspective. He will learn that the memory of it is part of his journey and is nothing to be ashamed of.

That is the charm of Buddhism. No matter who you are, where you come from or what you have done in the past, the door to the "try-out" room is always open, and you can check out any time if you don't like it. All you need is the sincere will to look inside.

brian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »
I think when one achieved reliasation, they will give up whatever they are holding to become a better person in this case become a monk to achieve enlightenment. This is inspiring story because for her, she had everything and can have even more had she not realised that everything is the truth of samsara. People might argue that she became a monk because she can't be perfect as she is a transsexual hence she was depressed with herself and going into hiding because of depression and attachment. For me it is very normal in Thailand to be transsexual, so i don't feel she is depressed but i feel she really gained realisation.

Benny

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a transexual realizing the fallacy of samsara and wanting to be ordained as a monk , and not a nun ! This is so totally worth rejoicing ! I mean , if he wanted to be a nun , that would be so wrong , right ? Physically he is still a man and he even removed his implants , this for me shows his sincerity to renounce . I would believe that it would not have been easy for an ex "QUEEN" to give up her "breasts" , i am sure it would have been difficult both psychologically and physically to do the procedure . The temple and monks that ordained him must surely know what they are doing , i am sure it is all done with good intentions . May he hold his vows and be a great Dharma teacher soon .

diablo1974

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 03:12:46 AM »
Very beautiful to hear anyone who are inspired to be a monk or nun. Its not a easy decision as being ordained and give up you family and changing your secular life for others is not easy as what people think; that is, being an ordained monk or nun is just doing nothing and beg for food and money. It requires immense merits and good karma to actually have the causes to become ordained for any reasons. Congratulate and rejoice in his undertaking and may he be cleared of obstacles in the process of monkhood.

pgdharma

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
Jazz is a strong person. Despite all the fame and a glamorous life style, she chose to enter monkhood after studying dharma for two years. It is good that she has the realization that beauty and fame will not bring happiness and she seeks to renounce everything to seek the truth.

lotus1

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
Rejoice! Whether Jazz is a man or a woman is no longer relevant or important. The most important is that he has taken one step further to take on more vows so that can benefit others. That’s is what I really salute.
How many of us can really let go of our material attachment, family, name and fame, all the eight world concerns and strive to let go and renounce? A big thumb up for him! Rejoice!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 07:37:55 AM »
Hmm, on further reflection, this might not be a good thing in the long run as it gives the wrong impression to people that being a monk can cure one of homosexuality or their transgenderism. In thailand, there are already people who think that by sending their transgender or homosexual children to the monastery, they can return them to being straight again. Jazz being a monk and being public about it might reinforce this message and it can result in many more people with non standard sexuality to being monks against their will.