Author Topic: BBC Oxfor TV News in preparation  (Read 4959 times)

Demian

• Email
BBC Oxfor TV News in preparation
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »
Have a look at these news in preparation for tomorrow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday/latest_stories/index.shtml

Go to the box second down the left hand side column on the link - we are the first news item!

a friend

Re: BBC Oxfor TV News in preparation
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:53:15 PM »
Very good, this should be kept somewhere safe Beggar, before it's erased from BBC.

Geronimo

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:27:38 AM »
New York Times                                                Cult of Personality
5/29/08
3:00 PM
Dior Drops Sharon Stone — Was It Karma?

"Right now, I'm probably saying something totally ill-advised."Photo: WireImage
During the Cannes Film Festival last week, Our Lady of Verbal Incontinence Sharon Stone opened her mouth and — poof! — Dior China dropped her from all of its advertising and is having her image removed from all Chinese stores. Major ouch, considering there are 68 retail outlets in the economically booming country. So what'd erratic Sharon say this time? Stone was speaking to a Hong Kong television channel when she called the Dalai Lama a "good friend" — okay, no big deal. Then she launched into this part:

I'm not happy about the way the Chinese are treating the Tibetans because I don't think anyone should be unkind to anyone else. And then this earthquake and all this stuff happened, and then I thought, is that karma? When you're not nice, the bad things happen to you?

Cue YouTube infamy, Chinese outrage, formal apologies from Dior China and Stone, and a serious drop in Stone's income. And as if it weren't bad enough that she suggested the deaths of tens of thousands of people were karmic retribution for China's policies regarding Tibet, we're not so sure Stone, who claims to be a practicing Buddhist, even understands what the hell she's talking about when it comes to karma. So we called in an expert: Matthew Reichers, an instructor at the Chakrasambara Buddhist Center. He concurs that Stone shouldn't necessarily be spouting off about karmic justice: "Karma is a deeply hidden phenomena," he says. "In order to understand the specifics you have to be a fully enlightened being — so not even a renowned person like Sharon Stone would understand." Heh.

So Stone might not be enlightened enough to truly comprehend that of which she speaks — but even so, how does karma work? "Karma is essentially a special instance of the law of cause and effect, whereby all of our actions function as causes and the experiences we have are the effects," he explains, sounding mellow enough to lure us into his meditation center. "So generally the experiences we have in this life would arise from karma, and the karma we have arises from the experiences we had in previous lives."

As for whether this could be applicable to the Chinese state's actions toward Tibetans, Reichers is skeptical. "The only way you could say that is if those killed in the earthquake had in past lives engaged in actions that had specifically caused the lives of Tibetans to be destroyed. If you're claiming it's about the treatment of Tibetans, then it has to be about the past actions and lives about all the people who were killed in the earthquake." So basically, Stone would be suggesting that all the quake victims were in past lives Chinese who killed Tibetans. And that's "highly speculative and not really based on anything — no one would know such a thing," Reichers concludes. Moreover, Buddhism has an earthquake clause: Everyone has the karma to die in a natural disaster, whether you've been involved in controversial state policies or not.

With that in mind, we have to wonder about Sharon Stone's past lives. If the rules follow, she was once a harried LVMH executive in a thankless job doing damage control for a mouthy spokeswomen. —Jessica Coen

I've got to keep a closer eye on this trend. It’s beyond silly that every time there is a natural disaster, somebody, a politician or celebrity, blames the the disaster on somebody or, the actions of human beings. As if “Nature” no longer plays a part in “Natural” disasters. Now, this jive has been going on for a long time, it’s not new. But, these days, there isn’t one disaster that goes by without some politico or celeb showing their ass along with their insensitivity and ignorance.

I first saw this bit of news the other day. Sharon Stone discusses the recent earthquake in China, take it away Sharon Stone…

“I’m not happy about the way the Chinese are treating the Tibetans because I don’t think anyone should be unkind to anyone else,” Stone said Thursday during a Cannes Film Festival red-carpet interview with Hong Kong’s Cable Entertainment News. “And then this earthquake and all this stuff happened, and then I thought, is that karma? When you’re not nice that the bad things happen to you?”

As if, after thousands and thousands of years of people dedicating their lives to studying the ins and outs of karma somehow, this woman….

sharon_stone…is now the arbiter of karma.

So, now Ms. Stone has pissed off the people of China, which means she has pissed off the largest emerging market for her dying industry and, pissed off the guy who owns the most theaters in China, who says he will never again show one of her films in any of his joints.

But, that’s not all…

During the brief interview, which has also surfaced on YouTube, Stone also said she cried when she received a letter from the Tibetan Foundation asking her to help the quake victims.

“They wanted to go and be helpful, and that made me cry,” she said. “It was a big lesson to me that sometimes you have to learn to put your head down and be of service even to people who aren’t nice to you.”

O.K., I saw the video a couple of days ago and, it’s really not worth sitting through but, it’s easy to find if you must. Stone mostly comes off as what we used to call “ditzy”, like she’s in over her head. She is pompous in that she seems of the opinion that she, as a celebrity, has a true impact on things like world affairs and natural disasters. She also has the audacity to name drop this guy.

demon-dalai.jpg

Yep, the old Dalai Lama. Sharon Stone says something like; “The Dalai Lama who, is a good friend of mine.”, and then goes on to say the he asked for her help in all of this.

What is going on with the Dalai Lama? Is he hanging out at cocktail parties, eating goat cheese every night. The Dalai Lama knows more celebrities than Oprah. Maybe, he’s angling for his own talk show, I don’t know.

Anyway, keep watching folks. There will be more natural disasters, that’s nature, you know? And, when one happens, even before the dust has settled, somebody will be out there blaming it on somebody.

Update-5-27:

Reuters reporting today that Stone is continuing to feel the fallout from her remarks.

This is from a statement by Christian Dior, a company that Stone has a modeling contract with.

“Due to some customer reaction we have decided to pull her image from all of the department stores and from all of China,” Christian Dior China said in a statement.

“We just want our customers and fans to realize that her personal comments are not related to the company and of course we don’t support any type of commentary that will hurt the feelings of our customers,” Dior said.Sharon Stone's Karma Comments Anger

Stone Sorry for China Quake Comment
Actress' Films Banned From Chinese Theaters
By HENRY SANDERSON, AP
Posted: 2008-05-29 11:17:10
Filed Under: Star Scandals, Movie News
BEIJING (May 29) - French fashion house Christian Dior said Thursday it has dropped Sharon Stone from its Chinese ads and released a statement from the actress apologizing for saying China's earthquake may have been bad karma for its treatment of Tibet.

The 50-year-old actress said she was "deeply sorry" for causing anguish and anger among Chinese people with her remarks in an interview last week. Stone models for Christian Dior SA, and the company's Shanghai office issued the statement.

Sharon Stones Bad Karma

Getty Images

"I'm not happy about the way the Chinese are treating the Tibetans," said Stone. "And then this earthquake and all this stuff happened, and then I thought, 'is that karma? When you're not nice that the bad things happen to you?'"
 Stone also said she was friends with the Dalai Lama.

AFP/Getty Images

"Sharon Stone's remarks made all Chinese people and the world shocked and angry. She does not respect the Chinese people, as well as people's lives. Sichuan's earthquake affects everyone's heart," says Chinese actor Lu Qilong. Here, the actress meets with Geshe Gyeltsen, founder of a Tibetan Buddhism and culture center, in 2006.

Getty Images

Stone's comments caused considerable anger in the Chinese media. The official Xinhua News Agency said in a commentary Thursday she was the "public enemy of all mankind."
"Due to my inappropriate words and acts during the interview, I feel deeply sorry and sad about hurting Chinese people," Stone said in the statement. "I am willing to take part in the relief work of China's earthquake, and wholly devote myself to helping affected Chinese people."
"We hope that as an actress she should contribute to our two peoples' mutual trust, understanding and friendship," he said.
Sharon Stone's remarks suggesting that the devastating Sichuan earthquake was karmic retribution for the Chinese government's policy on Tibet have not gone unpunished in China.

ThStone's comments "inappropriate" and said that actors shouldn't politicize the May 12 natural disaster that has claimed at least 68,000 lives and left 5 million homeless

In the same interview, Stone revealed that she cried when she got a letter from the Tibetan Foundation asking her to help the quake victims.

"Sometimes you have to learn to put your head down and be of service, even to people who aren't nice to you. That's a big lesson for me," Stone said.

The earthquake struck south-west China on 12 May, leaving 68,109 people dead, with another 19,851 still missing.

REGION: Asia-Pacific
TOPIC: Politics
TRANSCRIPT    
Originally Aired: May 29, 2008    
   Conversation       

In China, an Evolving Effort to Establish a Place on World Stage

The devastating quake in China and the government's response and transparency seem to have altered views both inside and outside the country.

Margaret Warner speaks with Assistant Foreign Minister He Yafei about the changes within China.
Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs He Yafei

MARGARET WARNER: Minister He Yafei, thank you for being with us.

HE YAFEI, China's Assistant Foreign Minister: It's a pleasure to be with you.

MARGARET WARNER: And my condolences on the tragedy of the Sichuan quake.

HE YAFEI: Thank you very much. This disaster happened about two weeks ago. And now the whole nation, of course, is fully mobilized.

MARGARET WARNER: It appears that there's been an interesting and unusual reaction from the world to China and from China to the world generated by this quake. Do you agree?

HE YAFEI: Yes. Yes, I think the humane nature, it's in the human nature to side with the victims. And, of course, people are seeing, are witnessing the whole nation, as I said, is united.

And, again, we're -- China is grateful, of course, to the assistance that is pouring in from countries all over the world, including the United States.

MARGARET WARNER: What I'm referring to, though, is -- for instance, 30 years ago, the Chinese government wouldn't even admit there was a quake. This time you were very open about it and both to foreign and domestic media. Why the change? And what conclusion have you drawn from the reaction that it has engendered?

HE YAFEI: Well, we are open. And we certainly welcome, you know, relief assistance, relief aid from other countries. And we believe, as I told you before the interview, that now we are in the world facing lots of challenges.

Natural disasters are one of them. Other things, like terrorism, you know, infectious diseases, all these challenges are what we call nontraditional security threats. No single nation can handle it and needs collective efforts.

He Yafei    
   He Yafei
Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs    
The relationship between China and the world has changed fundamentally or historically.

Symbiosis with other nations

MARGARET WARNER: But this is a change for China. China used to regard, used to resist any kind of foreign engagement, certainly on the ground in China's borders. What explains the change?

HE YAFEI: The relationship between China and the world has changed fundamentally or historically. There is a historical change to that, meaning that China cannot develop itself without it getting involved with the world or without the support of international community.

And the international community, its peace, stability of the world cannot be achieved without the participation and contribution of China. So, naturally, there is an openness. You cannot close your doors anymore.

MARGARET WARNER: Do you think part of the reason the world has reacted and seen China in a new way as a result of this is because you've allowed open foreign media coverage in the region and people could see for themselves?

HE YAFEI: You can see, you know, China is open to media. Of course, any journalist, foreign or domestic, has to abide by Chinese laws and regulations from what you can see, reporting on the natural disaster now, it happened in Sichuan. There were virtually no limitations. People are free to report what they like to report.

MARGARET WARNER: One of the new regulations, as you call it, has been for the past several months that the foreign media is free to leave Beijing and go almost anywhere in the country without getting prior approval. Now, that expires in the middle of October after the Olympic Games. Is that going to be maintained?

HE YAFEI: Of course we will study the issue very carefully. And as I said, that fundamentally speaking we are open. Chinese society is open to journalists from abroad.

As to how we will continue the regulation, in what specific way, I believe relevant departments are still thinking about it. And very soon, very soon the rule will come out. And I think it will be in the direction of more opening, not closing the door.

He Yafei    
   He Yafei
We have taken measures to restore the social order in Tibet. The life in Tibet is returning to normal.

Tibet poses unique challenge

MARGARET WARNER: Now, one place foreign journalists cannot go still is Tibet. Is that going to change?

HE YAFEI: Tibet is special case. Even before that regulation, there was -- because of special place, where there's difficult -- there are some rules, specific rules concerning the traveling, even for tourists. So it will continue. It will continue. Talking about Tibet, you know what had happened in March.

MARGARET WARNER: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. But what will continue?

HE YAFEI: Some specific rules about the permission to go into Tibet will continue to apply for the time being. But, as you say, you know, tourism is being restored gradually in Tibet after the violent crimes happened in March. We have taken measures to restore the social order in Tibet. The life in Tibet is returning to normal, to normalcy.

MARGARET WARNER: So why wouldn't you want foreign journalists in there to report that?

HE YAFEI: Well, you have seen reporting from foreign journalists, several groups having organized. For the time being, the conditions are not there, are not right.

Basically, you know, the things will be better, will be getting better. In the past, because of the March incident, there are security issues and other issues. And it will be open pretty soon, I believe.

MARGARET WARNER: One thing that happened this week while I've been here is that the U.S.-China or China-U.S. human rights dialogue resumed. What do you expect to come out of that?

I understand that the Americans raised concerns that, in fact, there have been tighter restrictions imposed on dissidents here in advance of the games.

HE YAFEI: It's not true. It's not true. The dialogue, the latest round of human rights dialogue was a success. It's pretty open discussion, pretty open discussion.

They also discuss several single cases. But, you know, China being a society or a country based on rule of law, we do not welcome interference in our internal affairs. And a legal issue has to be addressed by our judicial authority.

He Yafei    
   He Yafei
As far as we know, Dalai Lama certainly is or his people certainly engaged in separatist activities, especially what had happened in March, last March in Tibet. Lots of people died because of the riots, because of violence.

Talks with the Dalai Lama

MARGARET WARNER: Partly, I believe, at U.S. urging -- or at least coincidentally with U.S. urging -- China did resume its dialogue with the Dalai Lama, talks, I guess with the representatives.

And my question is: Does your government still regard him as a splittist, I think you referred to him as, who is absolutely bent on Tibetan independence, even though he says he isn't? And is that your view of him?

HE YAFEI: You cannot judge a person only by what he says. You have to look very carefully at what he does.

As far as we know, Dalai Lama certainly is or his people certainly engaged in separatist activities, especially what had happened in March, last March in Tibet. Lots of people died because of the riots, because of violence.

Still, my government on the Central Committee of CPC exercised great restraint and patience. And we initiated -- at his request, of course, we agreed to have another round of dialogue. Another round of talks is scheduled soon, is going to happen soon. So dialogue is continuing.

MARGARET WARNER: Is China running the risk that he might be replaced by some of the more you might call extreme elements in the Tibetan movement who really are openly for independence?

HE YAFEI: Well, that question I cannot answer. You have to ask him to what extent he controls his own people.

MARGARET WARNER: But I mean, if China doesn't -- no, but I mean, if China doesn't really engage with him, could this be counterproductive?

HE YAFEI: We are engaged with him, at least with his private representative. The talks being held is between responsible persons or leaders of China's certain departments with the private representative of Dalai Lama.

And we appealed to him. We ask him that he should stop, first of all, planning and inciting violence in Tibet and, if possible, not to disrupt or sabotage the Olympics, and a few other things.

If he can really show with his action what he says in public, that will certainly be, you know, paving the way for a better dialogue, especially for the next round.

He Yafei    
   He Yafei
[T]here are lots of attention on China and lots of interest in China, as China expands its economic relationship with almost all countries.

A friendship campaign

MARGARET WARNER: Finally, I've been struck, being here about a week, 10 days, of what a hub of activity Beijing is between itself and its neighbors. You've had the South Korean president here. You've had the head of the new Taiwanese ruling party. You've had talks involving the six-party talks over North Korea's nuclear program.

Is this new for China?

HE YAFEI: It has been happening for the last, I would say, 10 years or so, because China's relationship with the world has changed. And there are lots of attention on China and lots of interest in China, as China expands its economic relationship with almost all countries.

I think this is a good thing for China to understand the world better and for the world to understand China better, as my president said.

For instance, between China and the United States, there were lots of dialogue, consultations. President Bush often pick up the phone and call the president, President Hu Jintao.

And, certainly, it is not in the interests of China and not in the interest of the United States to engage, for the two countries to move in a direction of confrontation. Cooperation is our future; it will certainly be better for our children.

MARGARET WARNER: Minister He Yafei, thank you so much.

HE YAFEI: Thank you very much. Thank you very much

Copyright ©1996-2008 MacNeil/Lehrer Productions. All Rights Reserved.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:35:44 PM by Geronimo »

Demian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 07:01:20 AM »
At the beinning of the press conference journalists were not very interested and did not beleive, through the conference their minds changed and developed interest. here is te transcript:

BBC OXFORD NEWS THURSDAY 29TH MAY 2008

Presenter:   
The Dalai Lama is in Oxford as part of a two day visit. The exiled Tibetan Spiritual Leader spending an afternoon at Black Friars Priory hearing prayers. Tomorrow he will give a lecture at the Sheldonean Theatre, but as Alistair Fee reports as well as receiving a warm welcome in some quarters, his visit has also exposed divisions within the Buddhist community.

Reporter:   
Greeting well wishers the Dalai Lama was in jovial mood and didn’t disappoint the gathering that had waited patiently to see him in St Giles.

Dalai Lama:   
One of my …a day commitment is promotional religious harmony. So now here the main thing is some kind of dialogue or exchange the deeper experiences.

(Christian Monks chanting)

Reporter:   
Inside Black Friars priory the Tibetan Spiritual Leader attended prayers. He later joined the monks for a private talk on faith.

Christian Monk:
It is a very special day in the life of this Priory. We are a community of twenty-five Dominican Friars, teachers and students who specialise in philosophy and theology, and you can see how this event fits to our mission in oxford.

Reporter:    
This is the Dalai Lama’s first engagement in oxford, but his trip here was not without controversy. Tomorrow a Buddhist community plan to protest outside a lecture at the Sheldonean. They say that the Tibetan Leader has banned a prayer important to their faith.

Pema:    
The Dalai Lama’s actions have left millions of Buddhist throughout the world with no choice but to turn to demonstrations as a method to try to be heard in the hope that we can get the Dalai Lama to lift his religious ban which is actually impeding on people’s human rights.

Reporter:    
A press conference at the Randalof Hotel revealed divisions within the Buddhist faith. The Western Shugden Society told how they plan to make their voices heard at the Dalai Lama’s next engagement.

Pema:   
We will be reciting our two slogans: “Dalai Lama Stop Lying”; “Dalai Lama Give Religious Freedom”, but we are making a lot of noise just to be heard. We are not angry because our intention and our motivation is completely pure. We just want this hypocritical action to stop and for people to be able to enjoy their spiritual practice and freedom.

Reporter:   
The Dalai Lama will give a lecture at the Sheldonean tomorrow. But the attention that awaits his arrival is likely to be less welcoming. Alistair Fee BBC Oxford News.