Author Topic: Dalai Lama's opinion on Buddhists attack on Muslims  (Read 3894 times)

Q

Dalai Lama's opinion on Buddhists attack on Muslims
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »
Saw this article online about DL making a comment about interracial violence. I must say... I agree with HH on this one.

Dalai Lama Condemns Buddhist Violence against Muslims

(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - During a speech at the University of Maryland on Tuesday, the Dalai Lama said killing in the name of religion was “unthinkable.”

"I think it is very sad," said Dalai Lama, adding, "I pray for them (the monks) to think of the face of Buddha," who had been a protector of Muslims.

He continued by saying that the root of seemingly sectarian conflict was political, not spiritual.

This comes as hundreds of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar are believed to have been killed and thousands others displaced in recent attacks by extremists who call themselves Buddhists.

The extremists frequently attack Rohingyas and have set fire to their homes in several villages in Rakhine. Myanmar army forces allegedly provide the fanatics containers of petrol for torching the houses of Muslim villagers, who are then forced to flee.

Meanwhile, the Myanmar government has been accused of failing to protect the Muslim minority.

About 800,000 Rohingyas in the western state of Rakhine are deprived of citizenship rights due to the policy of discrimination that has denied them the right of citizenship and made them vulnerable to acts of violence and persecution, expulsion, and displacement.

So far, the Myanmar government has refused to extricate the stateless Rohingyas from their citizenship limbo, despite international pressure to give them a legal status.

In addition, the country’s opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has come under fire for her stance on the violence. The Nobel Peace laureate has refused to censure the Myanmar military for its persecution of the Rohingyas.

yontenjamyang

• Email
Re: Dalai Lama's opinion on Buddhists attack on Muslims
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 06:31:39 AM »
Killing another being for any reasons is karmically wrong and cannot be condoned for whatever reasons.  There are exceptions in the sutras; one involving a past live of Buddha Shakyamuni himself, but even in that example the Buddha experience a brief moment in hell for that act of killing. More so for ordinary beings.
As for Au San Suu Kyi, we cannot judge her also as we are not aware of her motivations. Maybe she is a bodhisattva, maybe she has higher motivations.

Anyway, karmically killing is wrong.

rossoneri

• Email
Re: Dalai Lama's opinion on Buddhists attack on Muslims
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 11:02:28 AM »
Killing is a big no. No matter what your motivation is killing in the name of religion and justify it with reason is to show that we are a powerful than you are and you should comply. Ultimately, the negative karma has been created when one is rejoicing others misfortune or mishap. I would think logically if you hear the news of 100 terrorist been killed and if you rejoice that the 100 life been killed, although they are not a group of nice people would it be the same as you receive the same heavy karma of having killed 100 people by being happy?