Author Topic: Buddhism to create happy place to work  (Read 5167 times)

bambi

Buddhism to create happy place to work
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:47:52 AM »
Such a good idea! Maybe I can propose this to my management.  ;D

It will be interesting to start the day with some light meditation and when I feel 'stressed' I can also sit down and calm my mind. Love the sound of singing bowl and the smell of incense.
Meditation is a conscious effort to change how the mind works.

You can follow these easy steps: the four Ps place, posture, practice and problems. First, find a suitable place, perhaps a room that is not too noisy and where you are not likely to do disturbed. Second, sit in a comfortable posture. A good posture is to sit with your legs folded, a pillow under your buttocks, your back straight, the hands nestled in the lap and the eyes closed. Alternatively, you can sit in a chair as long as you keep your back straight. Next comes the actual practice itself. As you sit quietly with your eyes closed you focus your attention on the in and out movement of the breath. This can be done by counting the breaths or watching the rise and fall of the abdomen. When this is done, certain problems and difficulties will arise. You might experience irritating itches on the body or discomfort in the knees. If this happens, try to keep the body relaxed without moving and keep focusing on the breath. You will probably have many intruding thoughts coming into your mind and distracting your attention from the breath. The only way you can deal with this problem is to patiently keep returning your attention to the breath. If you keep doing this, eventually thoughts will weaken, your concentration will become stronger and you will have moments of deep mental calm and inner peace.

You Buddha believe it!

This group of Welsh workers are meditating away the stresses of office life with Buddhism – and they hope their practices will make their company reach a state of Nirvana.

The Newport web and development agency Mettaengine was established in June last year by three kindred spirits, who met at a Buddhist centre. Creative director Graham Shimell said: “We usually try to meditate together every morning – it’s a good way to start the day.”

The staff meditate three times a day in a specially-adapted shrine room, which contains a statue of Buddha, along with candles, incense and a singing bowl. “We strike the bowl before we start meditating. The vibrations are calming and fade into silence, which helps us to get into the right mindset,” added Graham. “I try to focus on my breathing and become present in the moment, then I find I can be calm and let go of my worries. “Meditation has made a huge difference to my state of mind. It has helped me to let go and not cling to certain wants and desires.”

Managing director William Elworthy said: “Sometimes, if things get a bit stressful, I go and meditate for a few minutes and when I come back into the office, I have a completely different perspective on things.”

The staff aim to bring Buddhist practice to the workplace by following a code of ethics based on Buddha’s five precepts, which include helping others, truthfulness and generosity.

William said: “We want to take meditation off the cushion and spread it into the workplace.” Graham explained the principles translated simply into everyday life. “It all comes down to acting with kindness and working as a team,” he said. The staff hope the company will counter negative perceptions of businesses.

“Hopefully we can be an inspiration for certain companies out there, especially following the recent problems created by the credit crunch,” said Graham.

Read more about it http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2013/03/22/design-company-uses-buddhism-to-create-happy-place-to-work-91466-33039867/

sonamdhargey

Re: Buddhism to create happy place to work
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. We see more and more westerners are using meditation in their daily life to help them with their stress. It is good that employers are encouraging their employees to meditate  to calm their minds and help with their thoughts and ultimately to have peace of mind. In the long run the environtment in that work place would be a very peaceful.

Jessie Fong

Re: Buddhism to create happy place to work
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »
It is a known fact that meditation helps calm us down. If by engaging in this would help us in the workplace then we could to set aside some time to practise this. Try this out and if it helps, continue. We can set aside some time in the morning before we start work, and maybe at the end of the day as a way to de-stress.

We would not know if it works or not,if we do not give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.