Author Topic: Corruption India's biggest problem: Dalai Lama  (Read 3927 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Corruption India's biggest problem: Dalai Lama
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
Oh! It seems that HHDL has taken an interest in Indian politics...

Meerut: The Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama on Monday said that corruption is India's biggest problem and it is making the country weak.

"Leaders like Mahatma Gandhi sacrificed their lives for country's independence but today politicians are misusing their powers. Common people are facing corruption in there daily life," the Tibetan leader said.

Addressing a function at a college in Ganganagar area here, he said that Naxalism is the country's internal problem and it has stemmed out of government's indifference. "The way adopted by Naxals may be wrong but their demands can not be totally set aside," he said.

On China-Tibet, he said that it is not a question of winning or losing. Many Chinese thinkers and writers have raised voices against their government's policies, he said.

He said that India has not only given asylum to people who came from Tibet but also gave respect to Buddhism.

The spiritual leader praised India and said that it is the only country where people from various religions and sects live together.

However, he condemned social evils like caste system and dowry.

http://zeenews.india.com/business/news/economy/corruption-indias-biggest-problem-dalai-lama_71987.html

Q

Re: Corruption India's biggest problem: Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
I think it's not only politics that HHDL has taken an interest of, but also in their culture lol!

I have 2 friends that came from India and yes, their society certainly have very hard pressure on them which surrounds the issue of caste. Of course in the Buddhist perspective caste system is not encouraged since it encourages disparity among people and on top of that it creates a form of disharmony between the different castes as some people are just born in a higher and more reputable caste and the ones born in the lower caste, no matter how successful they become will always be tainted by their birth rites.

The more educated people from India do tend to resent the caste system as well but they can only do so silently as the peer pressure is just too intensifying. And those that cannot stand the pressure tend to migrate to another part of the world.

But what makes me wonder is, doesn't Buddhism evolve to suit one's culture which is why China have their own kind of Buddhism, and Thailand have their own unique kind of Buddhism... so how come in India, this important part of their culture is not merged with their version of Buddhism? It does make me ponder if is it because of the caste system that although Buddhism originate from India (Ok I know it's Nepal, but close enough!), and yet Buddhism is not the main religion instead, most Indians tend to be on a Hindu path. Perhaps this is one of the factor that has retard the growth of Dharma in their land. What do you think?

diablo1974

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 09:46:43 AM »
Its quite natural to show concern about India politics, i should say he is concern instead of interested in their political scenes. The tibetan in exile has stationed in India for the last five decades and they are very "proud" of their non violence movement in these years in exile. India corruptions is quite common and the locals can laugh about it over chats and coffee.  Corruption exists as along as "money system" still functions in our lives.

brian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 06:59:20 AM »
India has the potential to develop into a manufacturing force if governed properly just like China. I think the mentality plays an important part as well for India. They should take heart from this comment made by The Dalai Lama of their cronic problem of corruption and as well as their caste customs carried way back from Buddha's days. India can 'learn' from China's success model to generate income into their country and make themselves a better nation to be as the quality of life in India can be depressing for most of their citizens.