Author Topic: Introduce yourselves!  (Read 20382 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Introduce yourselves!
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
Hi.. i've been around the block a few times but i thought it would be nice if new people to the forum introduced themselves!

I'm Kate, live in Greater London, and I have been a very interested Buddhist for the past few years. I was a Christian previously as I was brought up that way, but now consider myself Buddhist because the Buddhist philosophy makes more sense to me, though I am the only Buddhist in my family. I found out about Dorje Shugden from this website, which has made me very partial to Dorje Shugden.com! I find the information provided here very detailed and rich and the forum is really a great place for me to learn new things and share.

I am looking forward to meeting new people!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Blueupali

• Email
Re: Introduce yourselves!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 01:27:13 AM »
Hi Kate et al.,
  I'm new to the forum and introducing myself :).  I have been a Buddhist for all of this century:) and also a Shugden follower for about 4 years.  I heard about Dorje Shugden while in Nepal, from a newspaper, with wildly inaccurate information which indicated that not only was the Shugden practice 'witchcraft' and banned but also that only a very small group even did the practice; from the article it seemed like only 20 people did this practice.  Surprisingly, I kept running into people who were rumoredly doing the practice.  My first lamas were Kagyus, on Shamar Rinpoche and Karmapa's side of the lineage.  Having them as lamas, I was always taught to examine issues for myself; I started studying at an NKT Center about 4 years ago, though the protests were no longer going on by then. 
  I sometimes ran into Kagyus on the Tai Situ/ DL/China Karmapa side of the lineage, and I think that you know, Tai Situ is maybe a Buddha teaching in reverse psychology, as are the Dalai Lama and the DL Karmapa.  For me, they are reverse psychology, for their students, they are probably the normal teachers they need, and mine are the normal ones for me.  Anyway, obviously in Buddhism we are trying to promote understanding and help all living beings, so I think mutual respect is really indispensable with other Buddhists.   That said, I think it is fine to speak up when things are getting out of hand, respectfully, otherwise how will the karma, which is constantly changing, change in a positive way?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 05:54:47 AM »
Hi Kate et al.,
  I'm new to the forum and introducing myself :).  I have been a Buddhist for all of this century:) and also a Shugden follower for about 4 years.  I heard about Dorje Shugden while in Nepal, from a newspaper, with wildly inaccurate information which indicated that not only was the Shugden practice 'witchcraft' and banned but also that only a very small group even did the practice; from the article it seemed like only 20 people did this practice.  Surprisingly, I kept running into people who were rumoredly doing the practice.  My first lamas were Kagyus, on Shamar Rinpoche and Karmapa's side of the lineage.  Having them as lamas, I was always taught to examine issues for myself; I started studying at an NKT Center about 4 years ago, though the protests were no longer going on by then. 
  I sometimes ran into Kagyus on the Tai Situ/ DL/China Karmapa side of the lineage, and I think that you know, Tai Situ is maybe a Buddha teaching in reverse psychology, as are the Dalai Lama and the DL Karmapa.  For me, they are reverse psychology, for their students, they are probably the normal teachers they need, and mine are the normal ones for me.  Anyway, obviously in Buddhism we are trying to promote understanding and help all living beings, so I think mutual respect is really indispensable with other Buddhists.   That said, I think it is fine to speak up when things are getting out of hand, respectfully, otherwise how will the karma, which is constantly changing, change in a positive way?

Welcome to the forum!

Great to have you hear with us and it is pretty amazing on how you have affinity with Dorje Shugden even though you are from the Karma Kagyu! Your lamas have taught you very well: to examine issues well, unbiased and properly before 'passing' judgement. That is a skill that has already been lost now due to the heavy influence of laziness and also because people are not looking for a real solution to their problems, but rather an easy way out of them. With this attitude, people get quick fixes for their problems, but in reality the problem is still there as they never really resolved it. As a result there's depression and mental afflictions.

I would like to see the 2 karmapas issue as something that the 16th Karmapa manifested to tame his disciples, as we know that Lamas manifest in different ways in order to tame their disciples, and according to the needs of their disciples. So it is highly probable that both are different emanations of the 16th Karmapa in order to manage the disciple's different dispositions.

What is more important is actually to follow the Guru of your choice all the way rather than getting trifled with issues like these :)

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:24:52 AM »
You know, I think the Kagyus and the Kadampas have a lot of overlap; there were some subset of the Kagyus in Bhutan, I believe, that used to have Dorje Shugden as their Dharma Protector; also, prior to Dorje Shugden, Gampopa, after attaining enlightenment held both the Kagyu lineage and also both lineages of the Kadampa that existed at that time.  Gampopa in turn taught the first Karmapa; Dorje Shugden was later, but it was in one of the smaller schools Gampopa created that the Kagyus had Dorje Shugden as a Protector; also a lot of Kagyu monestaries were converted (by force, by Monguls) at the time of the 5th Dalai Lama; also Je Tsongkapa took his novice monk vows from the 4th Karmapa; anyway, at this point I am following the Kadampa lineage, but I will always love the Kagyus. 

WisdomBeing

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:40:56 AM »
Lovely to hear from you BlueUpali! Perhaps you would like to start a new forum thread on Dorje Shugden practice within the Kagyu lineage! :)

Let's keep this thread for just introductions :D

Thom

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »
Hello~

WisdomBeing

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »
Hi Thom... are you Thomas Canada? Nice to see you again if you are.. and welcome back... if you're not, then welcome to the forum! :)

TARA

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 06:55:34 AM »
Hello everyone!  I am delightfully pleased to find this website.  It is a treasure trove of information, practice and logics not readily available anywhere in the world dropping down from Tushita Heaven onto my lap.... yes, this is heaven sent. 

Padma Yeshe

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »
Hello all,
I am happy to find this website where Buddhist thought can be shared and learned from.  I have been studying with a Vajrayana teacher, Lama Tsering Everest, whose teacher was Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche for 20 years.  Rinpoche loved teaching on Pure Motivation and when I looked for more info on this subject, it brought me here to this website.  Looking forward to sharing enlightening talks with you.
Padma Yeshe

lennin

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 08:09:35 AM »
Hi every one, I am new to this forum..My name is Lennin, i am from Sri Lanka, i was born chatolic but few years back i realize buddhas teaching make sense, and became full buddhist.. I am not new to this website...I have learnt lots about Dorje Shugden from this website..Thank you for wonderful compassionate people behind this ... Wishing whole world will benefit from Dorje Shugden in future,!