Author Topic: Bring happiness into your life with these tips from the Dalai Lama  (Read 3863 times)

sonamdhargey

We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day.

Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.

It is under the greatest adversity that there exists the greatest potential for doing good, both for oneself and others.

Whether we are rich or poor, educated or uneducated, whatever our nationality, color, social status, or ideology may be, the purpose of our lives is to be happy.

Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength.

The various features and aspects of human life, such as longevity, good health, success, happiness, and so forth, which we consider desirable, are all dependent on kindness and a good heart.

All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness … the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives.

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.

Source:life-balanced.net/2007/11/10/bring-happiness-into-your-life-with-these-tips-from-the-dalai-lama/

Tenzin K

Re: Bring happiness into your life with these tips from the Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »
“Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.”~Dalai Lama

Some days I wake up with rocket fuel in my veins, ready to take the day by storm. Happiness comes totally natural. But on others it can feel like I have lead weights strapped to my shoes.
Have you ever been there? We all have.

While some days are easier to find a smile than others, happiness is a daily choice. It’s a mindset we can nurture and train. That doesn’t mean it’s there every second, but when you notice it’s missing often the tiniest shift can put you right back on top of the world.

Life will constantly test your ability to make a lemon martini out of the sourest of lemons. So be ready.

RedLantern

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
happiness is subjective,it depends a lot on our perspective.As the Dalai Lama explained,even the saddest circumstance will not seem so bad from afar.It may not bring happiness, but suffering can be reduced.A change of perspective can help us to become happy. Find the beauty,the humor,and the calm in the present and then appreciate it.Often discovering just one of these qualities is happiness itself.
Happiness comes from our attitude and our choices to accept happiness,even through the struggles of life.
We cannot just seek happiness,we must choose to be happy with our life,even though it may not be perfect.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
And to add to that list:

“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”
? Mother Teresa

“For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.”
? Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”
? Mahatma Gandhi

“Generally speaking, the most miserable people I know are those who are obsessed with themselves; the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others...By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves.”
? Gordon B. Hinckley

“Whoever is happy will make others happy.”
? Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl

“Happy girls are the prettiest”
? Audrey Hepburn