Author Topic: Funerary Ceremonies  (Read 5416 times)

Jessie Fong

Funerary Ceremonies
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »

Funerary Ceremonies

Burial and cremation are the most common forms to dispose of the dead.  Embalming requires formaldehyde, gluraraldehyde and phenol that are cancer-causing chemicals. Caskets/coffins are often made from metals, toxic plastics or wood.  The slow rotting process in casket burials product bacteria that thrives on sulphur that can harm nearby water sources.

Cremation requires energy and creates air pollution, that releases chemicals like dioxin, carbon dioxide and mercury.

Here are alternate forms for disposal of the dead:

1.   Sky Burial
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_buria
Sky burial, or ritual dissection, is a funerary practice in Tibet, wherein a human corpse is incised in certain locations and placed on a mountaintop, exposing it to the elements (mahabhuta) and animals – especially predatory birds. The locations of preparation and sky burial are understood in the Vajrayana traditions ascharnel grounds. In Tibet the practice is known as jhator (Tibetan: ????????, Wylie: bya gtor), which means "giving alms to the birds."

The majority of Tibetans adhere to Buddhism, which teaches rebirth. There is no need to preserve the body, as it is now an empty vessel. Birds may eat it, or nature may cause it to decompose. Thus, the function of the sky burial is simply to dispose of the remains. In much of Tibet, the ground is too hard and rocky to dig a grave, and, due to the scarcity of fuel and timber, sky burials are often more practical than cremation. High lamas and some other dignitaries may receive burials so as to honor them in death, but sky burials were standard practice for commoners.

2.   eco-friendly burial options.
Natural Burials
Interring a body in earth in a manner that allows it to decompose naturally is perhaps the greenest option available, and so-called green burials are gaining popularity.

Eco-coffins
Natural burial in a biodegradable coffin reduces carbon emissions by 50 percent compared with traditional burials, according to the Natural Death Centre.

"Shelves For Life"
Looking for a multifunctional coffin you can also enjoy in life? Check out William Warren's "Shelves for Life." Instead of buying a brand new coffin, this unique shelving system allows you to store books and tsochkes during life -- and your body after death. The shelves can be easily transformed into a coffin when the time comes, which really makes it shelving to die for.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/remodeling-design/blogs/shelving-to-die-for

Cremation
If you insist upon being cremated, there are even ways you can green this process. One option is "resomation," which mimics the natural process of decomposition -- but on fast-forward. It involves disposing of human remains through alkaline hydrolysis: The body is sealed inside a tube filled with water and lye and steam-heated to 300 degrees for three hours. When the process is complete, all that remains of the corpse are some powdery bone fragments and about 200 gallons of fluid. Unlike the traditional cremation process, resomation doesn't release chemicals into the air, and it utilizes 80 percent less energy than standard cremation.

What do you do with that liquefied human body? Well, you could use it to help feed living humans. The fluid makes a great fertilizer -- if you're comfortable eating from a garden fertilized by corpse juice.

If you'd prefer to be a little less green and be cremated in the traditional sense of the word, you can always make an environmentally conscious urn choice. Select a wooden urn made from sustainable sources, or opt for the Bios Urn, a biodegradable urn made from coconut shell, compacted peat and cellulose that contains the seed of a tree. Once remains have been placed in the urn, it can be planted and the seed germinates and begins to grow, giving new meaning to "life after death." You can even select the kind of tree you want to be.

Cremation
If you insist upon being cremated, there are even ways you can green this process. One option is "resomation," which mimics the natural process of decomposition -- but on fast-forward. It involves disposing of human remains through alkaline hydrolysis: The body is sealed inside a tube filled with water and lye and steam-heated to 300 degrees for three hours. When the process is complete, all that remains of the corpse are some powdery bone fragments and about 200 gallons of fluid. Unlike the traditional cremation process, resomation doesn't release chemicals into the air, and it utilizes 80 percent less energy than standard cremation.

What do you do with that liquefied human body? Well, you could use it to help feed living humans. The fluid makes a great fertilizer -- if you're comfortable eating from a garden fertilized by corpse juice.

If you'd prefer to be a little less green and be cremated in the traditional sense of the word, you can always make an environmentally conscious urn choice. Select a wooden urn made from sustainable sources, or opt for the Bios Urn, a biodegradable urn made from coconut shell, compacted peat and cellulose that contains the seed of a tree. Once remains have been placed in the urn, it can be planted and the seed germinates and begins to grow, giving new meaning to "life after death." You can even select the kind of tree you want to be.

Composted Corpse
While you can't just toss a human body into the backyard compost pile, there is one interesting option. A Swedish company called Promessa has developed a way to turn acorpse into compost material in just six to 12 months. Here's how it works: A corpse is frozen and then submerged in liquid nitrogen. The brittle body is then bombarded with sound waves, which break it down into a fine white powder. Finally, this powder is sent through a vacuum chamber, which evaporates all the water. The remaining powder is nutritious and quite fertile, making it perfect for planting a tree, shrub or garden.

Other Green Options:

If you want to make your funeral as eco-friendly as possible, here are some other ways you can ensure a sustainable farewell.

Eco-invites: Friends and family can sprout new life in your memory withRemembrance Tree Papers. This eco-friendly paper is chlorine-free and embedded with wildflower seeds that can be planted directly in the ground. The paper can be used for funeral invitations, memorial bookmarks or thank-you notes.

Flowers: Request that floral tributes not be bound with plastic-covered wire -- opt for raffia instead. And avoid flowers that come in polystyrene foam, which doesn't biodegrade.

Transportation: Avoid gas-guzzling limos and encourage funeral guests to carpool to the burial site. Perhaps you can even skip the hearse altogether -- a funeral home in Eugene, Ore., is going the extra carbon-free mile by offering a bicycle hearse.

Images and captions courtesy of Mother Nature Network.

Big Uncle

Re: Funerary Ceremonies
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:32 AM »
Dear Jessie Fong,

This is all very interesting but I don't think those forms of funerary services are available in most countries. Sky burial would probably not be available anywhere except Tibet. Sky burial dissection is not a ritual thing. It is actually to pound the flesh and mix it with barley flour and fed to the vultures.

This is so that the birds don't develop a taste for living human flesh. Also sometimes, the deceased will that his/her skull or thigh bone be harvested and offered to High Lamas to be made into skullcup inner offering and the thighbone to be made into a thighbone ritual trumpet. This is usually an option requested by criminals sentenced to death to collect some sort of merit and good karma.

Personally, my best option is cremation and have my ashes be consecrated and placed inside statues or scattered at holy places. That would be a most beautiful way for me to collect a little bit more merit so I would get to go to a good place after my death.

apprenticehealer

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:10:24 AM »
Though there are many options one can choose from, not all or most countries have these facilities as pointed out by Big Uncle.
Besides this, many people still cling on to their own age old traditions and superstitions and opt for ground burials or in the case of Tibetans - sky burials. Cremations are becoming more popular nowadays but not so a few decades ago. In countries where there are ample land,  ground burials seem to be the more common funerary choice.
I would prefer to be cremated and as suggested by Big Uncle, to have my ashes scattered onto holy places or if i have the merits, to have some of my ashes placed in Buddha statutes . Or to have my ashes thrown into the sea ( just the ashes, not the urn or the vessel containing the ashes).

Barzin

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:25:12 AM »
Thankyou Jessie Fong, I have never knew there are actually other options available until you pointed them out.  This can be mean that in out parts of the world we don't have such options and we still prefer the traditional way that we know of.  I personally like the eco friendly Eco-coffins.  Besides that I always think that we actually borrow this particular body for this very life time so we got to return back to mother nature, therefore for me, I would rather have my ashes throw into the sea.  But i understand most family members would want the deceased have a final place to rest in peace hence they prefer to have burials, big ceremony and a place that they can go to pay respect from time to time.

DSFriend

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
Death has been such a taboo topic for people of every culture. It is quite interesting that people now are bringing their future coffin in the form of a cabinet into their home. Goes to show that people who buy such furniture obviously have come to terms with death. For most people, it is their loved ones of the deceased who will be shopping and purchasing the coffin. At least we should do that for ourselves and not leave it to our loved ones to have to get a coffin for us,  don't you think?

Tenzin K

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Frankly speak, I have no preference of what to do with my body after death as it’s just an empty vessel like Big uncle mentioned.

Reading from Jessie Fong on the options of funerary ceremonies it does really make me think of which the best for me. If I’m in Tibet I’ll definitely go for sky burial, just give it to the birds.

I believe in my country no way I could do it so cremation is still the best opt and may my ashes be kept in a holly statues or any form of holy object for blessing. What else can we bring over to our next life? Only karma and merits and upon death we only have the last 49 days.

Still best to do any meritorious act now while waiting for the last moment occurs and by the time it happened doesn’t matter what we do with our body. 

bambi

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »
Thank you Jessie for the informative post! You know, its quite funny. When we are alive, we become vegetarians so that we can in a way help the environment. But when we die and leave this temporary shell, we also need to think of how to die in an environmentally friendly way.  ::)  It would be great to die and have a sky burial for me!

kris

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »
I do agree that a person's dead body is something we need to handle and fortunately, people are more and more open to talk about this matter.

There is an even more green way to handle the dead body: donate the dead body to be used in medical schools, either being dissected by medical students, or for testing of medications.

I heard this is getting more and more popular, and I wish everyone can opt for this method because our body can still benefit others even after we are dead :)

DS Star

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
Composted Corpse

While you can't just toss a human body into the backyard compost pile, there is one interesting option. A Swedish company called Promessa has developed a way to turn a corpse into compost material in just six to 12 months. Here's how it works: A corpse is frozen and then submerged in liquid nitrogen. The brittle body is then bombarded with sound waves, which break it down into a fine white powder. Finally, this powder is sent through a vacuum chamber, which evaporates all the water. The remaining powder is nutritious and quite fertile, making it perfect for planting a tree, shrub or garden.

I will choose the above "Composted Corpse" method if it is available in my country...

It is eco-friendly, clean and less 'gory' as compared to the Tibetan's "Sky Burial". Though in principle, they are similar i.e. the body did not go to waste but being used to the benefits of others.

We must always remind ourselves, when we passed on, this physical body is able to follow us into next life, no matter if we have nice and healthy body or an ugly old body, we have to left it behind, so it is totally useless (and a waste of money) trying to preserve it for it will only last for a few more days...