Author Topic: A student giving his slippers up to a barefoot elderly woman in the subway  (Read 9933 times)

hope rainbow

http://static.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/1592660/taekwondo_coach_gives_up_his_slippers_to_barefooted.html

A taekwondo coach from Korea has earned plaudits from Singaporeans and netizens alike for giving his slippers up to an elderly woman who was barefooted on a local bus during his visit to Singapore.

Choi Dae Ho, a member of the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) Peace Corps had stooped down and offered the old lady his slippers, before bending down to put them on for her.

A photo of the incident was taken by another WTF Peace Corps member and subsequently posted on the Singapore Taekwondo Federation website.

According to the site, Dae Ho had been on a trip to Sentosa during his break from teaching the Singapore National Squad.

Positive Change

Re: A student giving his slippers up to a barefoot elderly woman in the subway
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »
How kind and spontaneous! This is a great example of compassion at work! Gives me a renewed hope in the human race when I see such wonderful acts of selflessness. Well done Choi Dae Ho and thank you!

More on this story:

A pair of white $4 slippers, given spontaneously to a barefoot stranger who boarded a public bus last Saturday, catapulted a South Korean undergraduate into the limelight. Mr Choi Dae Ho, 22, may be a black belt in taekwondo, but instead it was his gentle act of chivalry that put him at the centre of online buzz.

Despite her initial objections, Mr Choi – who is here on a six-week trip - knelt in front of the old woman, who had teared up by then, took off his own flip-flops and put them gently on her feet. Speaking through an interpreter yesterday, he told The Straits Times: “It was a small gesture on my part, and it was something I felt I had to do, or I would regret it.”

Said the Incheon native: “Ever since I was young, my grandmother took care of me. She passed away when I was 15, but I’ve always had a deep affection and respect for grandmothers.”

Mr Choi, who majors in taekwondo at Jeonju University, is one of four Koreans now in Singapore as part of the Korea-based World Taekwondo Federation Peace Corps.

The generous deed, which took his companions by surprise, took place on a rare day off from daily training. They were on board an SBS bus returning to their Farrer Road hostel after a trip to Sentosa with Mr Jason Tan, 22, captain of the Singapore squad.

Mr Choi’s generosity left him with an unusual problem. After alighting from the bus, he had to sprint the entire eight minutes back to the hostel as the “pavements were scorching”.

One of his fellow Koreans, Ms Kim Jeong Hee, 22, took the photo – of him and the smiling old woman wearing the slippers – without his knowledge. It was uploaded on Wednesday to the Singapore Taekwondo Federation website, and was picked up by citizen journalism platform Stomp.

Here are some interesting examples of how we can make a difference in our daily lives:

1.   Say "Good morning" to a person standing next to you in the elevator.

2.   Pay the toll for the driver behind you.

3.   Take a minute to direct someone who is lost, even though you're rushing.

4.   Write a letter to a child who could use some extra attention. Kids love getting mail.

5.   Offer to pick up groceries for an elderly neighbor, especially in extreme weather.

6.   Give a homeless person your doggie bag.

7.   Say "I love you" to someone you love.

8.   Put a coin in an expired meter.

9.   Help a mother carry her baby stroller up the subway stairs, or hold a door open for her.

10.   Each time you get a new item of clothing, give away something old.

11.   Take someone's shift as the car-pool parent.

12.   Bring your assistant coffee.

13.   Out of the blue, send flowers to a friend.

14.   Say "please" and "thank you"—and really mean it.

15.   When you're on a crowded train or bus, offer your seat to an elderly, disabled or pregnant person.

16.   Don't interrupt when someone is explaining herself.

17.   Let a fellow driver merge into your lane.

18.   Offer to baby-sit for a single mom.

19.   Put your shopping cart back in its place.

20.   Call or write to a teacher who changed your life.

21.   Bring a box of doughnuts to share at the office.

22.   Forgive someone a debt–and never bring it up again.

23.   Listen with all your senses.

24.   Write a note to the boss of someone who helps you, and explain how great a job that person is doing.

25.   Simply say "I'm sorry" when you're wrong.

26.   Throw away your trash—and someone else's—after a movie, picnic or visit to a park.

27.   Encourage someone who seems despondent.

28.   Volunteer to take care of a friend's dog while he is vacationing.

29.   Help a friend pack for a move.

30.   Ask someone "How are you really doing?"—and then really listen to her response.

31.   Offer change when the person in front of you at the register comes up short.

32.   Before a friend moves away, give her your favorite recipe or quote and a photo of the two of you together.

33.   Leave a generous tip for a pleasant waiter.

34.   At work, offer to transfer a caller who needs help from another department.

35.   Pass along a great book you've just finished reading.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/35-Little-Acts-of-Kindness/2#ixzz2KWGgvZdG

Q

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »
We hear a lot of news of people being more generous with the homeless or for the under privileged. Prior to this news, there was a police man that gave a pair of boots to a homeless man which caused the photo to become sensational... and within days, the policeman became the department's hero for doing such kind deed. This proves to say that kindness reaches everyone's heart and is deeply recognized within our society.

I am amazed to read about this taekwondo coach. He is generous enough to give the old lady a pair of slippers, and although some people may say it's just a pair of slippers, but to the lady, at that time would have meant everything to her as it is one of the things that she needed most.  And one of his characteristic that made me admire his sincerity is that he not only gave it to her, but he also help her put it on... just like a son helping his mother put on her slippers...

Another point that we should take notice is that he is from Korea, while the old lady is from Singapore. It clearly shows that there is no discrimination. All he thought was that he's a human being, she is a human being, and he has something that she needs so he'll give it to her. How kind is that...

DSFriend

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »
Beautiful! Kindness and generosity is taught in every religion, in every school systems, but seldom do we see it demonstrated. I suppose it is practiced within the family unit but hardly extend beyond. What I love about this story is that Mr Choi is able to extend his respect and gratitude towards his grandma to another elderly lady. I don't know if Mr Choi is a Buddhist, but this way of thinking is taught in Buddhism as well, to see all beings as having been ones our mothers.

This story also reminds me of a movie "Pay It Forward". Do watch it if you can.

Source : http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pay_it_forward/
A young boy stumbles upon a simple way to change the world in this drama. Trevor (Haley Joel Osment) is a bright 11-year-old boy who comes from a troubled home; his mother Arlene (Helen Hunt) is an alcoholic trying to hold down two jobs to support her son, while Trevor's father Jon Bon Jovi) left his family behind some time ago. At school, Trevor's class is introduced to their new social studies teacher, Mr. Simonet (Kevin Spacey), a guarded man with severe facial scars. Simonet gives his class an unusual assignment -- think up a practical way to make the world a better place, and put it into action. Trevor comes up with the notion of "Pay It Forward" -- do a needed favor for three different people without being asked, and then ask them to do the same for three others...

---

Big Uncle

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »
Yes, we need more of such everyday heroes. We can be an every day hero too if we put our energy more towards others instead of ourselves. Well, I feel a little hypocritical when I say this and I think all of us should feel that too. We often pray for compassion and dedicating our merits towards others but how much do we do for others anyway? Nobody can see our compassion when we are comfortable at home watching TV. It would be much better if we put it out there and do something about it already.

I am saying this of course not just for you guys but for myself as well. We can all start with the very cause that is in our hearts and that is the Dorje Shugden cause. I am sure all of us here have received some sort of benefit from Dorje Shugden himself. If we really want to, we can make a difference by sharing Dorje Shugden to our loved ones and others who are close to us first. Then we expand that further to friends and acquaintances and finally arriving at strangers via the forum and social media.

Benny

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
Wow ! What sight to behold, yes If only people would feel exactly like this kind Korean , that he would regret if he did not do what he did . Now days if one were to board the MRT , it would be common to see people ignoring the elderly and not give up their seats .We should all be more mindful to emulate such acts of kindness.

I totally agree with Big Uncle with his notion of sharing the blessings and protection of Dorje Shugden with our friends and family as well as strangers. That is a very befitting act of kindness as well for this day and age where so many are ignorant of the fact that there exist such a powerful and compassionate Dharma protector. May we all share his blessings .

dondrup

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »
We must rejoice and share Mr. Choi’s act of kindness with all.  He has shown such good example of kindness, generosity and care.  How often do we hear of such virtues of kindness, generosity and care in today’s modern world?  Not many.  The only thing we hear of is the lack of mannerism from the younger generation of today.  Many young people are not bothered with manners and the basic human ethics like respecting the elders.  This is clearly the trend in many countries including the developed countries.  May more people practise these virtues. 

bambi

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 05:27:32 AM »
How wonderful! Kindness like this come from the heart and it is genuine. I know its rare to have such kind act and when I see one, it bring tears to my eyes.
Yes, dondrup, I truly agree with you. The younger generations seems to lack manners or simply cant be bothered with it. But there are parents who also does not seem to be bothered with it as they were brought up that way too.
This picture went viral on FB and I think that it would be nice to share as well.

apprenticehealer

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 06:04:41 AM »
What a kind and spontaneous gesture from a young man!! It restores my faith in mankind when i read about such beautiful acts of kindness and thoughtfulness. Mr. Choi's grandmother would be so proud of him.

Loving kindness and compassion has all the time been taught by Buddha, and not only should it be practice diligently,  it should be ingrained into our very being and should come as naturally as our every intake and exhalation of every breath.

And most acts of kindness does not cost much (in this case $4) , or it's free. It doesn't cost anything to help an elderly person across the road, give up a seat on the bus or train to an elderly person or pregnant lady, a smile, listening to someone 's problems , offering a shoulder to someone to cry on, words of encouragement, thanking someone with sincerity, wishing someone ' good morning, have a nice day' and so forth.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 05:21:09 AM »
In Buddhism, one of the main reasons for respecting the elderly is the idea of filial piety. Since parents spend so much time raising their children, children must repay the pains their parents took. When a child is young and vulnerable, parents introduce their child to the world and take care of him, so when parents reach old age, their child must care for them in a similar way. Buddhism teaches that this is particularly true of mothers who experience additional pains while carrying the child in the womb for nine months and then giving birth.

Another reason for Buddhist respect for the elderly is the idea that people suffer in their old age. Buddhism is about overcoming suffering and Buddhist sutras (sermons of the Buddha) teach that old age is a time of great suffering when the individual's body begins to decay and the mind becomes confused. Since Buddhism also teaches compassion for the suffering of others, young Buddhists have an obligation to respect and help the elderly.

Tenzin K

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
Choi Dae Ho indeed has virtues heart. He acts spontaneously for the lady. His past make him a better person. I admire that. Some people would have negative impact changes or impacted their attitude but for Choi it’s positive and wonderful.

A great young man with a great heart, more of this kindness man like him will make the world better and harmonious. I believe he’s happy with his life as he bring a long his great attitude to benefit others.