Author Topic: God Is Not A Christian (Maybe he/she is Buddhist?)  (Read 7329 times)

Big Uncle

God Is Not A Christian (Maybe he/she is Buddhist?)
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
I was browsing Huffingtonpost and I came across this article and I quickly devoured this article and relish the wit and wisdom of the Dalai Lama and Bishop Desmond Tutu. I found even the words of Desmond Tutu especially refreshing and honest. I can see that the Dalai Lama shares a particularly deep connection with the Bishop. It's also interesting to see the first frank views of Dalai Lama's on God. As part of Buddhist refuge, one should turn towards the 3 jewels and not to Gods and other philosophies and belief systems because it erodes our faith and belief. Its reassuring to hear this from the Dalai Lama.

God Is Not A Christian: Desmond Tutu And The Dalai Lama's Extraordinary Talk On God And Religion
( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/god-is-not-a-christian-tutu-dalai-lama_n_2421553.html )

Adapted from THE WISDOM OF COMPASSION: Stories of Remarkable Encounters and Timeless Insights by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan by arrangement with Riverhead Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA), Inc., Copyright © 2012 by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan

The Dalai Lama, wearing an orange visor, was on stage sitting next to Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who had just flown in from South Africa. The Dalai Lama sat in his usual lotus position on a leather armchair that was a size too small for his folded legs. His knees stuck out a smidgen beyond the armrests.

“My main concern,” he said to Tutu, “what’s the best way to talk about deeper human values like love, compassion, forgiveness, these things. Not relying on God, but relying on ourselves.”

Tutu was hunched forward in his chair; he was carefully examining his hands, which were resting on his lap. He was dressed in a dark suit and a striking purple shirt with a decidedly magenta hue. A large metal cross hung below the clerical collar.

The Dalai Lama said, “I myself, I’m believer, I’m Buddhist monk. So for my own improvement, I utilize as much as I can Buddhist approach. But I never touch this when I talk with others. Buddhism is my business. Not business of other people. Frankly speaking”—he stole a glance at the archbishop and declared firmly—“when you and our brothers and sisters talk about God, creator, I’m nonbeliever.” He laughed, perhaps a little self-consciously.

It seemed to me that the Dalai Lama’s feelings about God have changed over the years. In an early interview, when I asked him if he thought there was a God, he answered simply, “I don’t know.” He took the view of an agnostic: he understood that it’s not possible to know one way or another whether God exists.

“In Buddhism no creator,” the Dalai Lama said at the Chan Centre. “But we also accept Buddha, bodhisattvas, these higher beings. However, if we only rely on these higher beings, we would just sit there, lazy.” He leaned into his chair, threw his head back, and rolled his eyes heavenward.

“Won’t help, won’t help. So that’s my view,” the Dalai Lama concluded.

Tutu crossed his arms in front of his chest. He looked pensive, deep in thought. Then a smile creased his face.
He said, “I was thinking when you were talking about God or no God, who you blame?” Tutu lifted both his legs from the floor and rocked back and forth in his chair. He was gripped in a fit of uncontrollable mirth. Perhaps it was an inside joke. If so, I didn’t get it. Perhaps he meant that if there is no God, then there is no one to blame but ourselves?

Tutu stared at the Dalai Lama as his trademark giggle filled the hall. The Dalai Lama then bowed deeply in homage, his head nearly level with his folded knees. He whipped off his visor and saluted his South African friend with an exaggerated flourish. Both men seemed to derive an enormous kick out of Tutu’s cryptic question.

Tutu said nothing more for the longest time. He was gathering his thoughts, preparing to expound further on the subject.

Although diminutive, all of five feet and four inches, his is an imposing figure. His facial features are broad and remarkably plastic.

Before Tutu could resume, the Dalai Lama pleaded, “I think . . . maybe I interfere. May I respond, just a little, just a little?”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Tutu screeched in a loud, high-pitched voice that took the audience by surprise. He turned completely sideways and trained his eyes on the Dalai Lama, his face one of pure animation. The two elderly spiritual leaders, for one short, unforgettable moment, became kids again, horsing around and thoroughly enjoying each other’s company. At one gathering in Oslo, after a particularly rambunctious episode, Tutu admonished the Dalai Lama in mock seriousness, “Look here—the cameras are on you, stop behaving like a naughty schoolboy. Try to behave like a holy man.”

The audience at the sold-out Chan Centre was delighted with the bantering. It was heartening to see that these two global icons did not take themselves too seriously. That they could, without being the least bit self-conscious, display such childlike playfulness. The Dalai Lama was carried along by the archbishop’s animal vitality, his irreverence, his lighthearted theatrics.

He was so in synch with the African that he did something I have seldom seen him do before. He interrupted Tutu, with no regard for niceties or etiquette, in mid-thought.

But now that Tutu had given him permission to interrupt, the Dalai Lama turned serious. He said to the archbishop, “The problem is, if we involve religious faith, then there are many varieties and fundamental differences of views. So very complicated.

“That’s why in India”—he pointed a finger at Tutu for emphasis—“when they drafted the constitution they deliberately used secular approach. Too many religions there”—he counted them out one by one with his fingers—“Hindu, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism, Jainism. So many. And there are godly religions and there are godless religions. Who decides who is right?”

Now that the Dalai Lama had his say, he put his orange visor back on his bald pate.
Tutu replied, “Let me just say that one of the things we need to establish is that”—long pause—“God is not a Christian.” He paused again and turned to look at the Dalai Lama with a mischievous glint in his eyes. It had the intended effEct. The Tibetan leader laughed with abandon. Apparently, Tutu was not done with horsing around.
“Are you feeling better?” Tutu asked the Dalai Lama, who inclined his body far away from his friend and covered his eyes in mock surrender.

“We could go on, but . . .” Tutu turned thoughtful. He enunciated his words with great care, and paused for a long time after each phrase. He picked up the Dalai Lama’s earlier thread. “The glory about God is that God is a mystery. God is actually quite incredible in many ways. But God allows us to misunderstand her”—at this, the audience went wild; the applause was loud and spontaneous—“but also to understand her.”

“I’ve frequently said I’m glad I’m not God,” Tutu continued. “But I’m also glad God is God. He can watch us speak, spread hatred, in his name. Apartheid was for a long time justified by the church. We do the same when we say all those awful things we say about gays and lesbians. We speak on behalf of a God of love.

“The God that I worship is an omnipotent God,” Tutu intoned, opening his arms wide. He paused to let this sink in. Then he said, sotto voce, “He is also incredibly, totally impotent. The God that I worship is almighty, and also incredibly weak.

“He can sit there and watch me make a wrong choice. Now, if I was God,” he said as the hall burst into laughter, “and I saw, for instance, this one is going to make a choice that is going to destroy his family, I’d probably snuff him out.

“But the glory of God is actually mind-blowing. He can sit and not intervene because he has such an incredible, incredible reverence for my autonomy. He is prepared to let me go to hell. Freely. Rather than compel me to go to heaven.

“He weeps when he sees us do the things that we do to one another. But he does not send lightning bolts to destroy the ungodly. And that is fantastic. God says, ‘I can’t force you. I beg you, please for your own sake, make the right choice. I beg you.’

“When you do the right thing, God forgets about God’s divine dignity and he rushes and embraces you. ‘You came back, you came back. I love you. Oh how wonderful, you came back.’”

There was total silence in the hall. Tutu’s speech was a tour de force. The audience was captivated by his malleable facial features, which could change from fiery anger to deeply felt compassion in a heartbeat. His voice scaled multiple octaves. His arms and hands were in perpetual motion. He was a showman and preacher par excellence.

Later that day, Tutu and the Dalai Lama came together again in a small function room at the Chan Centre. They had another opportunity to expand on their views on religion before Tutu had to leave Vancouver.

“I think generally all religious traditions have good potential to improve human condition,” the Dalai Lama said to the archbishop. “However, some followers of religions, they are not very serious about one’s own teaching. They—out of selfishness, money, or power—use religion for personal gain. In some cases, because they completely isolated, so no idea about other traditions, value of other traditions. So that creates religious disharmony. But I think if you make balance, I think more weight to positive side than negative. Much, much more.”

“Yes, you are right,” Tutu replied. “And you have to remember that religion is of itself neither good nor bad. Christianity has produced the Ku Klux Klan. Christianity has produced those who killed doctors that perform abortions. Religion is a morally neutral thing. It is what you do with it. It is like a knife, a knife is good when you use it for cutting up bread for sandwiches. A knife is bad when you stick it in somebody’s gut. Religion is good when it produces a Dalai Lama, a Mother Teresa, a Martin Luther King.”

“And a Bishop Tutu,” the Dalai Lama interjected. Tutu stared at him, stuck a finger at his own chest, and admonished, “I’m talking!”

The Dalai Lama leaned back in playful recoil and laughed with abandon.

“But we’ve got to be very careful that we don’t say . . .” Tutu continued, ignoring him. But the Dalai Lama had trouble concentrating. His chest was heaving, his shoulders were jiggling with involuntary convulsions; he was having a hard time controlling his laugher. “Because there are bad Muslims, therefore Islam is a bad religion. Because there are bad Buddhists, Buddhism is bad. Just look at the Buddhist dictators in Burma,” Tutu said.

“We’ve got to say, what does your faith make you do? Make you become? I would not have survived without the faith of knowing that this is God’s world and that God is in charge, that evil is not going to prevail despite all appearance to the contrary. Yes, of course, sometimes, you want to whisper in God’s ear, ‘God, for goodness’ sake, we know that you are in charge, but why don’t you make this more obvious?’”

The Dalai Lama was not laughing any longer. He nodded vigorously as Tutu finished.

yontenjamyang

• Email
Re: God Is Not A Christian (Maybe he/she is Buddhist?)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:48:09 AM »
As a Buddhist I personally do not believe in a creator God. I do not believe in a personal God. No god created me and I do not have a personal relationship with him. I am not that special person that God has a personal relationship with and yet let so many others suffer. That cannot be true. God is not Christian or a Muslim or a Hindu or any other religion. We are responsible for ALL that we experience. However, my personal beliefs in not important to others. What is important is the common universal values of love, compassion, selflessness and right positive effort in helping others.

These 2 great religious leaders set a great example of finding common ground between their religion and not focusing on the fundamental differences. They lead their lives working for the benefit of others. That is the moral and the example that we all should follow. Work for other regardless of religion. Keep your religion personal.

apprenticehealer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
What a beautifully yet humorous way of documenting the discussions between the 2 iconic religious leaders by Big Uncle. Thank you.

I personally do not believe that there is this wizened old man , complete with flowing white hair, beard and gown , sitting "up there , somewhere" watching over all of us , listening in to our every thought, every moment of our lives. This wizened old man/lady comes with many names - God , Goddess, Allah, The Almighty, The Creator, Jehovah, The Great Architect ....

However i believe there is another name for 'God' and that is Karma. Where we are now, at this very moment, is because of our Karma and where we go forth in the next lifetime and next is also created by our very own Karma. We are the creators of our own lives. We are governed by our body, speech and mind.
All the religions teaches the same virtues - it's only up to us how we interpret these teachings , thus creating our Karma. The Buddha/ the Divine Spark that is within us, is there because of our past life merits that we have gained, so we can have  the opportunity to receive more teachings and guidance from our Teachers, Gurus and Lamas in this present life -to enable us to initiate more good karma to bring into the next lives. One can term all this as fate, destiny , blueprint, 'the plan' - to me it is Karma.

DS Star

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »
Whether God is a Christian or not, it is not important.

The point is, whether believing in Him will help us to be a better person, that is more important...

Like HH Dalai Lama, I am a non-Believer of Creator God.

For the religions that stressing the 'Creator God' concept, God is supposedly having these qualities: 'Almighty', 'Full of Love', 'Judge', 'Mercy', etc.

The question is, if Almighty God really is full of love, judge, merciful; why God punishes the defenseless with the most severe 'punishments' even before they can prove their 'faith in God' like the cases of 'death punishment' to the unborn babies i.e. the cases of still-born or babies born with terminal illness? Or like the cases of innocent babies killed by criminals, even own parents etc.?

Why Almighty God with all the powers in the whole universe wants to make these innocent, defenseless babies suffered? What horrible sins they could have done when some of them were punished even before they are 'allowed' to be born into this world?

If there is really such a Creator God that has powers to control everything, including the nature disasters, then I would say He is very mean, cruel and extremely bias for creating such a mess in this world and with so much disparities between the rich and the poor, inequality and differences environments and health conditions, etc.

Since ancient times, there is no explanation why God creating such a mess, why some people is subject to only sufferings like the slaves and why kings can do whatever they wants, including torturing the innocents?

There is no logical and acceptable explanations to such bias decisions and actions of Almighty God. And, if God chooses to not interfere, it means He has no mercy; or He is powerless... if He has no power then He is NOT Almighty and NOT a CREATOR...

The concept of ONE single Creator God cannot explain the inequality in this world but Buddha explained it well with the teachings on the 'Law of Karma' and reincarnations.

diablo1974

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 04:57:55 AM »
What about Buddha is not a buddhist? Buddha is definitely not a buddhist on a buddhist label.  I think it is the same applies to God/Jesus, it's all about how literate human beings put labels on things and make ourselves believes its true and infinite, so much so it affect every aspects of our life.  After we have believe in it as REAL (labels) for many many years, we are then taught that they are UNREAL. Then we need to put in a great deal of effort to disregard it or live with it without attachment.

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »
Thank you Big uncle. Personally, i think we all share a common ground of all religion in the world, if i am not wrong all religion teaches us to be kind, loving, compassionate, selflessness and caring hence why do we have to fight among each other. We humans is always love to differentiate and comparing with each other, therefore we also label our religion in different way and name. I am a Buddhist because in Buddhism it teaches us, in order to achieve something we ourselves have to work on it and not to be lazy. Very logical

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 06:11:07 PM »
Thank you Big uncle. Personally, i think we all share a common ground of all religion in the world, if i am not wrong all religion teaches us to be kind, loving, compassionate, selflessness and caring hence why do we have to fight among each other. We humans is always love to differentiate and comparing with each other, therefore we also label our religion in different way and name. I am a Buddhist because in Buddhism it teaches us, in order to achieve something we ourselves have to work on it and not to be lazy. Very logical

Well, I personally do not believe in one single almighty creator god. But I do believe that every religion no matter what kind of god or higher being the people pray to if it is the right god and or higher being, then there will be peace and harmony. For no religion will teach one to harm, promotes negative behaviour and ask it's follower to do evil. Unless it is the wrong one.

Since all religion emphasize on love, kindness, and compassion then why are people fighting whether your god is better or mine? It is funny isn't it that people fight and even kill in the name of their god? It is sad that so often the name of god is used and abused by those who seek personal gains.

I do think that if everyone no matter what religion or god they believe in, truly practice what they've learnt and not fight but accept others and help everyone within or without their religion like their own, then only one is really practising spirituality. After all, if we believe in higher beings, and their powers, then we must also acknowledge their ability to manifest in different forms. As what was said by Sai Baba who preaches much about love. "There is only one GOD. One for every tribe of men".
DORJE PAKMO

diamond girl

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Wow... this is an excellent conversation between the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu, two of the most influential people in their religions.

It is truly refreshing to hear 2 wise men speak of religion, despite their difference in belief, there is true harmony between them. True religious people will not find the differences but the similarities and work within that similarities for a harmonious relationship. Just like how HHDL and Desmond Tutu showed to us int heir religious dialogue.

It is so funny to hear Desmond Tutu say Maybe God is not Christian lol! Very wise indeed for not many Christians recognize that the God the speak of existed from the time of the Israelite. History has proven that Yahwey, or God... originated from the ancient civilization way before Abraham's time.

Well, putting aside history, the conversation between HHDL and Desmond Tutu is really something we all should read, regardless of religious belief. What the Dalai Lama said regarding relying on a superior being and how we will be lazy and dependent... is so true. Just like a spoonfed child waiting for his/her parent to give them the next step and all is laid up in a silver platter. But truth is, it is only in us that we can change and make a difference.

dondrup

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »
There are great words of wisdom in Bishop Tutu’s conversation with Dalai Lama.  Religion is neither good nor bad because religion is neutral.  All religious traditions have good potential to improve human condition. It is what religious practitioners do with the religion that matters.  There are bad practitioners in all religions that cause disrepute to their religion. We should not criticise other religions ignorantly.

Hence inter-faith dialogue & interaction are important to help believers of different faiths to understand each other’s religion better and to live in harmony.

DS Star

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
Religion is neither good nor bad because religion is neutral.  All religious traditions have good potential to improve human condition. It is what religious practitioners do with the religion that matters.  There are bad practitioners in all religions that cause disrepute to their religion. We should not criticise other religions ignorantly.

Well-said Dondrup. Religion should be the means for people to improve themselves as human beings, to be a better person i.e. to kind and have compassion, forgiving, etc.

Hence inter-faith dialogue & interaction are important to help believers of different faiths to understand each other’s religion better and to live in harmony.

Unfortunately, on many occasions, the so-called inter-faith dialogue were used as platform to openly enforcing one's own faith onto other faiths' followers, instead of really looking for similarities and respecting the differences.

I have personally attended a few of such dialogue / forums and, I was disappointed with behaviors and attitude of the 'ambassadors', except for the one represented Buddhist faith.

I can see that the Buddhist monks or nuns were sincere in wanting to create harmony and avoiding confrontation even when challenged; like on the topic of Creator God. However, the other ambassadors will insist on their belief and at times were noticed not willing to compromise.

If only other faiths' practitioners, namely the Christians, having the wisdom of Bishop Tutu...