Author Topic: Our Enemy  (Read 5530 times)

icy

Our Enemy
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »
Those whom we ordinarily consider to be our enemies can only be so for one lifetime, at the most. But negative emotions have been harming us from time without beginning. They are truly the worst of enemies.

There are always ways in which one can gradually make friends with an enemy. But the more we try to make friends with negative emotions the stronger they become and the more they are able to harm us. If we think about it, as long as they continue to inhabit our minds, staying with us like close friends, we will never be happy. As long as anger, pride, and jealousy are in our minds, we will always have external enemies. If we get rid of one enemy today, tomorrow another will appear. It is endless. While we may be able temporarily to free ourselves of enemies, with negative emotions entrenched in our minds, we shall never find lasting happiness.

Anyone who practices the Dharma has a duty to do battle with the enemy--negative emotions. If we wish to achieve ultimate happiness, we have to use the antidote [mindfulness] to fight against this enemy. In doing so, we may encounter difficulties from time to time. But in an ordinary war, the trials and difficulties people go through are accepted and even encourage them to fight harder against the enemy. Moreover, in the ordinary world, a warrior's wounds are considered as signs of bravery, like medals. So as practicing Buddhists fighting this real enemy, whose very nature is harm, we should expect difficulties, and treat them as signs of victory.

An ordinary enemy may escape to a safe place only to marshal his forces again and attack us once more. But once we have banished the negative emotions from our minds by using the true antidote, they have nowhere to hide and cannot return to harm us.

RedLantern

Re: Our Enemy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:38:52 PM »
We are called upon to extend loving kindness and compassion to our enemies,even when facing them on a battlefield.That's not possible,and yet this is our path.
It is easy to open our hearts to  those who likes us,agree with us and love us back.The real lessons come when we open our hearts to our enemies.Our "enemies" teach us some of our most important lessons.
We should try and learn to look at people who annoys us and anger us as people sent to us via to our own  karma to teach us a lesson.

Q

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
There is no true enemy besides an untamed mind.

Most people find it difficult to deal with an 'enemy'. They dread looking and being near a person that they do not like. However, what is strange is that the true enemy is really within us, and yet we do not feel repulsed towards ourselves.

Why is the true enemy is within us? For whatever that happens and how our surrounding appear around us, is all due to our untamed mind. How we perceive things could have been caused us to view the other as an enemy when in actuality, it should not have been such way. In fact, the very way to fix this is to instantaneously change one's view of the other.

However, such act is not easy... therefore the least we can do is to view our 'enemies' as a teacher. For it is through this 'enemy' will we develop tolerance, patience, kindness, and giving unconditionally.

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:05:13 PM »
There are always ways in which one can gradually make friends with an enemy. But the more we try to make friends with negative emotions the stronger they become and the more they are able to harm us. If we think about it, as long as they continue to inhabit our minds, staying with us like close friends, we will never be happy. As long as anger, pride, and jealousy are in our minds, we will always have external enemies. If we get rid of one enemy today, tomorrow another will appear. It is endless. While we may be able temporarily to free ourselves of enemies, with negative emotions entrenched in our minds, we shall never find lasting happiness.

I agree, for as long as we continue to feed our negative emotions, the result will be for one's negative emotions to keep getting bigger and stronger to the point that one is never happy, angry and bitter with everything that's going on in one's life.

In every situation, one will be always quick to blame the others for being like this or like that. He/She/They should or shouldn't have done things like this/that. It should have been like this/that. One will never be happy or look within oneself what actually went wrong or things could have been different if one had reacted or not reacted in a certain manner or way. 

True enough, our own worst enemy is often our inner perception, our own ignorance and our own ego.

Below I quote words from two different websites which I find to be very true and may it allow more people to understand the real enemy that many have mistaken to be their best of friend.

Your greatest enemy is your own inner perception, is your own ignorance, is your own ego.

The ego is the worst confidence trickster we could ever figure.

"I am you".

The problem is that the ego hides in the last place that you'd ever look within itself.
It disguises its thoughts as your thoughts, its feelings as your feelings.

"You think it's you".

Peoples' need to protect their own egos knows no bounds.
They will lie, cheat, steal, kill, do whatever it takes to maintain what we call ego boundaries.
People have no clue that they're imprisoned.
They don't know that there is an ego, they don't know the distinction.
At first, it's difficult for the mind to accept that there's something beyond itself, that there's something of greater value and greater capacity for discerning truth than itself.

In religion, the ego manifests as the devil. And of course no one realizes how smart the ego is, because it created the devil so you could blame someone else.
In creating this imaginary external enemy, it usually made a real enemy for ourselves, and that becomes a real danger to the ego, but that's also the ego's creation.

There is no such thing as an external enemy no matter what the voice in your head is telling you.
All perception of an enemy is a projection of the ego as the enemy.
In that sense, you could say that 100 percent of our external enemies are of our creation.

"Your greatest enemy is your own inner perception, is your own ignorance, is your own ego".

Tratto dal film "Revolver" diretto da Guy Ritchie.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/right_there/2484187786/#

For the ego, the belief is "No one is better than me" and hence, no one can teach me anything new. In an everyday example, when one is operating out of ego, one is often impolite, even rude to people one considers "lower or less important" than oneself. But someone with a healthy self-esteem will always treat everyone with respect.To quote the Bhagavad Gita, "The ego is a false identity crafted to preserve the sense of being the most significant and the most important all the time." In short, it is a narcissistic search for being loved, validated and appreciated."

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-03-05/holistic-living/30316017_1_ego-esteem-desires
DORJE PAKMO

dslucky

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »
Enemy

It is funny how we define enemy especially in the Buddhist context (I don't mean it in a negative way though).

I guess the general definition of an enemy is a person we dislike or do not have good feelings for. It is usually that they have pissed us off so bad that we consider them our enemy.

But in the Buddhist context, we relate the word enemy to our desire, attachments and our material wants. On the surface level, these are things that makes us happy, so why are we even calling them our enemies? Funny hey?

Well, like what Icy said, the people we dislike may only be so for one life time but our attachments and desire will follow us life after life. That is the danger of this enemy. It is so apparent yet we do not realize its existence. Fighting this enemy may be tough but highly necessary because it will bring us to the scary three lower realms!!

Can you imagine how many people have lived on loving this enemy life after life? Hence, religion or in this case more specifically BUDDHISM is necessary to help us fight off enemy. I love forums like this where I can gain so much knowledge to help me fight off my weaknesses!!

apprenticehealer

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:24:56 AM »
I agree with Icy that our greatest enemy is our own negative emotions.

When we hold on to our negative emotions of anger, jealousy , pride - we are effectively 'feeding our worst enemy (our ego) with more power. We "MAKE" enemies ourselves . When someone upsets us, insults us, criticizes us , judges us - we would defend our ego by disliking that person or even hating that person - hence we label that person as our enemy !

What we see in that person is actually a reflection of ourselves- it's like putting the mirror in front of ourselves . If we don't like any part of ourselves and someone comes along and makes a comment about this particular issue, we immediately react to it with anger. It is easier to put the blame outwards to someone else than to accept the truth of oneself (painful as it may be).

We make enemies like the way we make friends. It starts from oneself , whether we want to be in peace with others or be in disharmony . It is really all up to ourselves, our attitude and our mind