Author Topic: WHAT CHRISTIANITY CAN LEARN FROM BUDDHISM ABOUT CHANGE  (Read 3820 times)

sonamdhargey

WHAT CHRISTIANITY CAN LEARN FROM BUDDHISM ABOUT CHANGE
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »
I found an article about a Christian commenting about Christianity can learn from the Buddhist about change. Read more below.

What do you think?

Author Bryan Berghoef recently wrote about a “shift in Christianity” on his blog. He’s calling the shift “a new convergence”

“A new coalition is already happening, as existing organizations and emerging networks discover one another and realize they have independently reached common conclusions… Where and how will this coalition happen? It’s already happening through a variety of sources, as existing organizations and emerging networks discover one another… and begin developing both personal relationships and concrete plans for missional collaboration — especially on behalf of the poor, peace, and the planet.”

If you’re familiar with the postmodern, intentionally deconstructive and amorphous movement called Emergent Christianity, then language about a shift, change, new coalition, progressive conversation or renewed Reformation is probably not a new thing for you. But if you haven’t heard of Emergence prior to now, then I highly recommend you read The Great Emergence by Phyllis Tickle, as well as A New Kind of Christianity by Brian McLaren. Both books explain the quietly burgeoning demand for reimagined theology, more inclusive liturgy, wider engagement of religious pluralism and less traditional ways to do “church”.

When I first began to talk about the need for change in Christianity, I was met with a lot of resistance from my more conservative friends, with many of them quoting scripture about God’s “unchanging nature” to explain why they felt the need to dig their heels into the soil. (And yes, I’ve found it pretty ironic that Bible verses concerning God’s unchanging nature were quoted so often to counter cries for change within the church– as if the church were God. But I digress.)

One thing is undeniably obvious: Christianity has a problem with change. We’re like the Pharisees of old– stuck in our ways and afraid to move beyond what we’ve always known, regardless of the clear need for us to progress. As I’ve considered our willful stagnation, I’ve realized there’s little precedent for peaceful theological or liturgical change in Christianity. We’re taught to fight like hell against anything that might threaten our rank-and-file absolutism–when what the world really needs right now is people who are prepared to change all the time. We’ve done this in every generation, and with every opportunity for monumental change that has ever been presented to us.

I’ve thought to myself that Christianity would be more prepared for the changes required in our era if, like in Buddhism, our faith required us to accept that all things… our lives, our health, our relationships, our jobs– and yes, even our religions– are constantly changing.

Read more here:http://crystalstmarielewis.com/2012/12/27/what-christianity-can-learn-from-buddhism-about-change/