Author Topic: To Propititiate or To take Refuge ?  (Read 6485 times)

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
To Propititiate or To take Refuge ?
« on: January 04, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
I am a big puzzled by the use of the term ' to propitiate' which  seems to be exclusively used for protector /deity practice or worship.

To propitiate according to wikipedia is to appease or to make well disposed , especially a deity, thus incurring divine favor or avoiding divine retribution.

From the above definition, there is an element of ' threat ' or fear associated with it.
I have yet to come across an explanation of this from authoritative sources.

1. Why is this term used almost exclusively for protector practice ?
2. Is it appropriate to use it for the 3 jewels too?  Has anyone come across the phrase  ' to propitiate Quan Yin or Buddha '?
3.  Is there a difference  between the 3 jewels and an enlightened protector when it comes to the usage of the term ' to propitiate' and ' to take refuge ' ?

Mana

Re: To Propititiate or To take Refuge ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
I think there is not difference between propitiate and pray in the Buddhism context.

We pray/propitiate to Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, Enlightened protectors, we don't pray to unenlightened beings/protectors, period. No confusion here.

The CTA asked us not to propitiate/pray to enlightened protector Dorje Shugden, but they themselves propitiate/pray to unenlightened protector Nechung, now that is really confusing.

negra orquida

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
I think all the terms to propitiate / pray / take refuge in the 3 Jewels / Enlightened Protector generally mean the same thing, which is to humble ourselves, acknowledge that we have a lot of faults/weaknesses, and want/need help from these beings.  When doing Protector Practice, I understand that we are meant to visualise the deity as one with our Guru or Yidam, so there's no difference between the Protector and the Yidam (which could be any Buddha)?

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
Could it be that when praying to protectors, we "propitiate", because we are more likely to ask for worldly favors?

Can anybody tell me if there are a different words used in the prayers, in Sanskrit or Tibetan for praying and propitiate? If there are, then there must be distinct differences. If not then if could be the translation.

In the context of Enlightened Protectors, "to make well disposed", should be the reason and not the other reasons from Wikipedia as Enlightened Protectors will never harm us.   

pgdharma

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
I think to propitiate, pray or take refuge, they are all the same. Buddha, Kuan Yin, the Three Jewels and Dharma Protectors like Dorje Shugden are all enlightened beings. Likewise when we visualize, our Guru, Yidam and Dharma Protector are one. So we can use the word “propitiate”.  However, we cannot use this word “propitiate” for unenlightened beings. As Buddhist, we do not propitiate from unenlightened beings like local deities or worldly gods but we can pray to them to show our respect for them. We do not ask them for favors.

Klein

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »
I think in this instance to propitiate and take refuge has the same meaning. We use it more with a protector because the main function of a protector is to clear our obstacles so that we can have the right conditions to learn and practise the dharma. So it makes sense to "propitiate" a protector so that our wishes are granted.

However, for a Buddha, we take refuge in the Buddha because we aspire to have the qualities of a Buddha. So we're not asking the Buddha to "give" us anything.

Either way, we will still need to ultimately transform our mind should we wish to achieve Enlightenment.

Tammy

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:52:54 AM »
I think there is not difference between propitiate and pray in the Buddhism context.

We pray/propitiate to Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, Enlightened protectors, we don't pray to unenlightened beings/protectors, period. No confusion here.

The CTA asked us not to propitiate/pray to enlightened protector Dorje Shugden, but they themselves propitiate/pray to unenlightened protector Nechung, now that is really confusing.

Thanks Mana for bringing up this, the irony is really not funny !!!
Everything that is being done with political motivation is not right, because it is not based on logic. Things would be twisted to satisfy a group of people's selfish intention.

This is sad..
Down with the BAN!!!

KhedrubGyatso

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:36:03 AM »
My take on this is .
 The term propitiate had been used generally to include all kinds of unenlightened ' supernatural' beings like protectors, deities spirits , etc. One propitiates them in order to overcome obstacles or to gain some benefits ( usually  for  money and relationships )quickly to solve the problems we encounter in life.We will normally make a pledge to pay them back after we got our wish fulfilled, eg building a datuk gong , shrine or burning incense, making daily offerings or even animal sacrifices etc to appease them.

In the case of enlightened protectors, when the term propitiate is used, it should carry the same meaning as refuge.( also mean to seek protection ).
The payback after our prayers are answered are our virtuous actions from then onwards . We dont payback  with ill gotten gains, material things, sacrifies or acts of harm as objects of appeasement . 
Most importantly, there is no fear of punishment or retribution even if one does not respond with gratitude after a prayer had been answered.This is implied in the term propitiate. However if we pray to  unenlightened beings, we can  incur their wrath for failing to appease them. Besides there is always element of  fear when propitiating them as we never sure they will demand more since they do not have great compassion which only enlightened beings possess.

Hope above helps.

Rihanna

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:45:09 AM »

[Mana! I couldn't agree with you more! Love what you wrote here:The CTA asked us not to propitiate/pray to enlightened protector Dorje Shugden, but they themselves propitiate/pray to unenlightened protector Nechung, now that is really confusing. If it was on Facebook, you would have gotten 1,000 Likes from this!]