Author Topic: Can one be attached to Buddhism?  (Read 6709 times)

icy

Can one be attached to Buddhism?
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:55:14 PM »
What should we do if someone attacks our beliefs and criticizes the Dharma?

Each situation must be regarded individually. In general, if we feel, "They are criticizing my beliefs. They think I am stupid for believing that," we are clinging to our beliefs because we think, "These beliefs are good because they are mine. If someone criticizes them, they are criticizing me." Such an attitude isn't very productive and we'll be more peaceful if we abandon it. We are not our beliefs. If others disagree with our beliefs, it does not mean we are stupid.

Being open to what others say is useful. Let's not be attached to the name and label of our religion. We are seeking truth and happiness, not promotion of a religion because it happens to be ours. In addition, questioning the teachings is reasonable. The Buddha himself said we should check his teachings and not just believe in them blindly.

On the other hand, we should not automatically agree with everything someone else says. We should not abandon our beliefs and adopt theirs indiscriminately. If someone asks a question we cannot answer, it doesn't mean the Buddha's teachings are wrong. It simply means we don't know the answer and need to learn and contemplate more. We can then take the question to knowledgeable Buddhists and think about their answers. When others question our beliefs, they are actually helping us deepen our understanding of the Buddha's teachings by showing us what we do not yet understand. This inspires us to study the Dharma and reflect on its meaning.

fruven

Re: Can one be attached to Buddhism?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »
On the other hand, we should not automatically agree with everything someone else says. We should not abandon our beliefs and adopt theirs indiscriminately. If someone asks a question we cannot answer, it doesn't mean the Buddha's teachings are wrong. It simply means we don't know the answer and need to learn and contemplate more. We can then take the question to knowledgeable Buddhists and think about their answers. When others question our beliefs, they are actually helping us deepen our understanding of the Buddha's teachings by showing us what we do not yet understand. This inspires us to study the Dharma and reflect on its meaning.

This is the best course of action. Increase my understanding and knowledge of the subject matter. Not defending and wanting to be right. If we don't know about it reflect on the 8 worldly concerns and be humble and admit not knowing much. I had a friend who has this great line 'I learn because of I don't know', 'Because not knowing therefore I am learning'. We don't need to abandon our belief just because we are not learned or don't know how to defend it. It should inspired us to know more and it also reminds us that we have been disregarding our own spirituality and postponing our own spiritual development. Let us not waste time regretting or doubting about what we belief but to discover more, discuss more or just putting whatever we know into actions. A simple belief can be the greatest belief for us because it is meaningful and puts us into action of serving and benefiting others.

bambi

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:42:04 AM »
I agree with you Fruven. The best way to help people understand is to learn up and explain when people criticize my beliefs. For myself, I do not argue nor put the other person's belief down, especially those whose wrong views are extreme, I simply change the subject that we are discussing. I wouldnt want them to have more negative karma for criticizing. Yes, we practice to help and benefit others but we can always do it in another way. Putting our studies and words into action is the best. They may not know nor understand but the best is still 'action speaks louder than words'!  ;D I truly believe patience and compassion will bear fruit...

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:01:35 AM »
What should we do if someone attacks our beliefs and criticizes the Dharma?

Each situation must be regarded individually. In general, if we feel, "They are criticizing my beliefs. They think I am stupid for believing that," we are clinging to our beliefs because we think, "These beliefs are good because they are mine. If someone criticizes them, they are criticizing me." Such an attitude isn't very productive and we'll be more peaceful if we abandon it. We are not our beliefs. If others disagree with our beliefs, it does not mean we are stupid.

Being open to what others say is useful. Let's not be attached to the name and label of our religion. We are seeking truth and happiness, not promotion of a religion because it happens to be ours. In addition, questioning the teachings is reasonable. The Buddha himself said we should check his teachings and not just believe in them blindly.

I think by default, everyone would be attached to their religion no matter how you want to put it. It is our own instinct. We are social animals and we will want to protect the society that we belong to by default. So because of this, we tend to be very defensive about 'our' society or 'our' religion. So when we learn more Dharma, we will apply them and we will be able to change that perception of things, that Buddhism is our religion and that it is our duty to defend it. Maybe perhaps, we will still be defensive about it, but for a different reason so that people would not have misconceptions about the Dharma

Tenzin K

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
Buddhist teaching is explainable and the logical side of it is teaching is what make the people accept it. If we really follow the teaching we will not get attached but have a better understanding instead. From understanding we develop the method to live our life.

People may criticize but is not for them to judge what we believe, it is us to decide what and how we should live our life. If we found Buddhism is the way of our life then it should be a guide but not and attachment because Buddhist teaching teaches us to liberate not to indulge.

In fact personally I feel that the more we understand and practice Buddhism the clearer it makes us see things rather than simply accept any kind of thought.

diablo1974

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:03:09 AM »
Personally i feel that before we have gain any form of realisation, we need to and be attached to buddhism but after we 'realise' at some stage when we  understand that we shouldnt be attached to our faith (bcos its also an attachment). But i am wondering how do we know we have already gained  this form of 'realisation' and ready to be detached from buddhism. Guess i would prefer to get attached until i am very sure whats the next course of action to take upon.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:52:18 AM »
It is a paradoxical question; "Can one be attached to Buddhism", since the basic tenets of Buddhism is not to be attached. To be attached to non-attachment is also attachment. However, if we exam this "attachment" deeper we find that the Dharma is the core jewel of Buddhism and Dharma really is the teachings of the Buddha. Teachings are to be understood and practiced. If one were to practice the Dharma well, then it will be that there will be no attachment nor non-attachment. Hence, in the strictest sense, one CANNOT be attached to Buddhism. The caveat here is it only applies to high practitioners.
For ordinary practitioners, yes we can be attached to Buddhism but I think this is the best form of attachment.

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:23:20 AM »
In Buddhism, our faith is really dependent upon our learning and not blind faith. Buddhism as a religion is rather different because it has a long history of mental development. The study of the mind in Buddhism reveals that when the learning is put into practice, faith can be fortified and can be the catalyst for irreversible spiritual attainments.

The various masters across history has basically presented the same knowledge but has presented with the consideration of the mental disposition of the people of that time and place. Hence, it was Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche who first promoted the Anuttara Yoga practice of Vajrayogini and the practice of Dorje Shugden for practitioners of today. Hence, you will see that major teachers of the Gelug tradition are heeding that advice especially to the vast lay practitioners of today's world. However, Pabongka Rinpoche is not doing this arbitrarily as he has contemplated the special strengths of these practices versus the dispositions of people today. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:26:06 AM by Big Uncle »

vajrastorm

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »
Buddha did say that once we have used the boat of Dharma to cross over to the other shore , we ought to abandon it and not cling to it. Nirvana, the state of mind of ultimate peace that we aspire to attain through the Dharma way and practice, is a state beyond any concept and hence beyond any clinging.

Clinging results from having thoughts and emotions and holding on to them. When we can go beyond thoughts and emotions and realize that they are transient, then we will have no attachment to anything nor clinging to any aversion. We will lose attachment to the Dharma too because we and the Dharma are one already.

This is how I understand (although still conceptually and intellectually) what Buddha said about not clinging to the Way/ the Dharma.

apprenticehealer

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:07:30 AM »
It is rather contradictory to 'be attached to Buddhism' when one of the main teachings of Buddha is not to be attached - attachment causes suffering.

When we say we are Buddhists , we are actually saying we practice the teachings of Buddha, living our life by practicing virtues that Buddha taught. These becomes a guideline for us to conduct ourselves in our body, speech and mind. We hold the faith and trust in the Dharma and ultimately it is to benefit all sentient beings and us to be Enlightened.

When someone attacks us for our belief, we must stand strong and firm as our belief in ingrained into the very fibre of our very existence. We must hold onto our values and principles in our lives, if not we will only be like the weed blowing in the wind. This is not attachment but in believing in the Buddha and in ourselves,
This is also not being fanatical as we are only living our own life to the fullest as a good Buddhist, and not going out there to convert as many people as we can , threatening people with prophecies of doom if they do not convert.

We hold our beliefs and trust in the Buddha in our actions, thoughts and in our speech. not by clinging , grasping and attaching ourselves to the idea of Buddhism.

by clinging , grasping and attaching

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 07:26:49 AM »
"Being open to what others say is useful. Let's not be attached to the name and label of our religion. We are seeking truth and happiness, not promotion of a religion because it happens to be ours. In addition, questioning the teachings is reasonable. The Buddha himself said we should check his teachings and not just believe in them blindly."

Very often we are stumped when we are questioned about our faith in our religion and get upset that we are questioned by our faith.  However if we are to practice Buddhism (of which the above quote is very appropriate) we must realise that we are not our religion and that we are stumped on being question is that our knowledge in our faith is insufficient and that further study is necessary.

Personally I have experience being all heated up and upset when I am told that Vajrayana is not within Shakyamuni Buddha's teaching in the nikaiya until I realised that my knowledge was not good enough to debate with the opposers. I have decided to study more and in doing so I have also enhanced my knowledge and the obvious is to be able to be open to any comments which I may find offensive.