Author Topic: A 28 hour day? More time to practice?  (Read 7403 times)

Positive Change

A 28 hour day? More time to practice?
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
Is time not relative? I came across this interesting article on the concept of a 28 hour day. Do read on as it is most interesting. Imagine what it must be like. It would certainly throw the Gregorian Calendar off tangent but certainly a hypothesis worth pondering on. After all, isn't our life about perceptions anyway? Would we actually have more time to practice or less time? I am certainly intrigued with this concept!!!!

A New Clock for a New Age

Did you ever feel like there just weren't enough hours in the day? Have you ever stayed up late because you weren't tired enough to go to bed? Have you ever felt like you didn't get enough sleep and it was, too soon, time to get up? Have you ever wished for more free time to pursue different activities and goals?
If you can relate to these feelings, you will be interested in the 28 Hour Day. Under the 28 Hour Day system, the current week would remain at exactly 168 hours. (24x7=168) However, this 168 hour period would be divided into six 28-hour days rather than 7 24-hour days.

Some of the benefits of extending the length of the day are relatively clear: you would simply have more time to do the things you wanted to do. Everything you do now in a typical day could be done for a little longer: you could sleep longer, work longer, spend longer blocks of time with your family and friends, and have more leisurely meals. Other benefits become apparent when you realize that "daily" activities would occur less frequently: only six times each week instead of seven. Work, for example, could be accomplished in larger blocks of time, with fewer trips to and from the work place.

There are also benefits that come from the fact that, on a 28-hour day, our wake-sleep cycles would not be synchronized with the earth's cycle of light and dark.

There are strong philosophical and scientific arguments in favor of the 28 hour day. Serious proponents of the 28 hour day share their views here.

The Benefits of Having More Hours in the Day.

A Longer Day Means Less Hurrying.
For most people, a typical 24 hour day is broken down like this:

2 hours for morning routine and commuting
8 hours at work
6 hours free
8 hours sleep

A typical 28 hour day would be broken down like this:
2 hours for morning routine and commuting
10 hours at work
7 hours free
9 hours sleep

With a 28 hour day, you're getting more sleep and you have more free time in your day. You're still working 40 hours in a week, but you're not feeling as rushed and harried.

Reasons why the 28 hour day is such a good idea.

The Obvious Ones:

1. Reduced frequency of daily chores:
Anything that you currently do daily would only be done six times a week instead of seven. On a large scale, this would have a measurable effect on the public's appetite for consumables.

2. Work only four days a week.
While you still work a minimum of 40 hours a week, you only go to work 4 times instead of 5. If you commute 1 hour to work, you save an hour each week commuting.

3. Transit pollution cut by 20%
If EVERYONE adopted the 28 hour day, the rush hours with which we are all familiar now happen only 4 times a week instead of 5 times a week. Air pollution due to commuting would instantly be cut by 20%.

4. Productivity and free time.
If you refer to the "Typical Day Comparison Chart" you'll see that the longer day not only gives you more time at work, but also more time with your family and friends AFTER work. A typical 28 hour day might give you 11 hours at work, 8 hours of free time, and a refreshing 9 hours of sleep. Just think of what you could accomplish on a day like that!

5. The Long Weekends:
Under the 28 hour day system, your weekend is still two days long, but those two days now total 56 hours, 8 more than the previous 48. The weekend is fully 1/3 of the week.

6. Every Day is Different:
The four hour difference between a 28 hour wake/sleep cycle and the 24 hour light/dark cycle, would create a "sun offset", which would make each day of the week substantially different in terms of the position of the sun at various times. One day you might have lunch under the stars. Another day, you might breakfast at sunset. Read more about the many additional benefits that arise from the sun offset.

Postive Effects of the Sun Offset.

Check out The Chart.
Look carefully at the chart above. The alternating periods of light and dark caused by the earth's rotation are represented by the light and dark bands. Across the top, the current 24-hour wake/sleep cycle is represented by white and grey blocks, with the daily eight-hour work periods represented by the grey bars. Across the bottom, the same behavior cycles (wake up, work, sleep) are plotted against a 28-hour day. Some things to note:

- On the 28-hour day graph, there is no Monday.

- Thursday's work period occurs in darkness, but sets you up for a sun-drenched weekend.

- Your 40-hours of work start at the same time on both the 24 and 28 hour day graphs, but on the 28 hour day graph, your work for the week is over sooner, leaving you with a longer weekend.

- Every day is different. Since waking and sleeping is not synchronized to light and dark, each day of the week has its own unique character. This will aid your memory in distinguishing one day from another.

- Sleeping late on the weekends doesn't cause you to miss daylight.

The Amazing, 56-hour, Sun-drenched Weekend.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are offset in a way that gives you maximum daytime in your free hours. Wake up Friday just as the sun is setting. Work your 10 hour day and when you leave, the sun is just rising. Since it's Friday, your last day of work for the week, you decide to stay up a little late. From the time you leave work until the time you go to bed, it's light out.

You wake up the next day a little late, (after all, you were up late the day before enjoying the daylight.) You sleep two hours past your usual wake up time and the sun is just about to come up. You enjoy an 18-20 hour day, (more than half of it is light) and go to sleep several hours after sunset.

On Sunday, you wake up (again, a few hours later than normal) with the sunrise and enjoy a relatively "normal" day. On Tuesday, because you wake up early (regular time) you wake up at sunrise again. There was no Monday.

Article courtesy of: http://www.dbeat.com/28/

apprenticehealer

Re: A 28 hour day? More time to practice?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 07:11:52 AM »
It is a very interesting article on 28 hour day.
And yes i do see the pros to it , the scientific explanations behind it and the logical reasoning of having this extended time per day.

However, i feel that if we are given extra hours in a day, will we make full use of it ? Will we follow the 'clock' and plan to do more in the day? As it is, at times,  we find ourselves wishing that time will slow down so that we can accomplish what we had set out to achieve for the day , would we still wish the same?

At the end of the day , we are still juggling our time around, be it 24 hours a day or 28 hours a day. We still have that limited hours in a day. It all comes down to time management for ourselves. We should be disciplined in making sure that we spend our time wisely. Afterall, life is short, and we don't know how long
more we have , so it's best to make full use of the whatever time we have - with love, compassion and wisdom.

hope rainbow

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:02:45 AM »
Never heard of that concept before...
But what happens to the old sync with mother nature? With the cycles of the sun and the moon, with day time and night time? With synching with the social habits around us, schools, transportations, etc...?
This idea sounds more like a theory than a reality to me, though I would be happy to hear from does that have experienced this.
In the absolute though, I would certainly welcome longer days anyway...

bambi

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
I agree with apprenticehealer. No matter how many hours we have in a day, do we plan or utilise it well? Theoretically, it sounds interesting.  ;D No more Monday blues! lol

I used to wish that we have 48 hours a day! Silly me! Its just that there are so much up my sleeves and I cant finish my tasks in time. For now, so long as I know what I want to achieve and what is more important to carry out first. I am sure all of us can!

brian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
No matter how many hours are there in a day, the fact that the timing for sleep and relaxing will still be consistent. It will not be more on the working hours. It will only add up to the relaxing time. If there is 28 hours a day, I will prefer to see if there are more times being spent onto spirituality. Be it going for centers or churches, at least some time spent on doing spirituality or studying the Dharma would make one's life spent worthwhile. So the conclusion is that one should instil some time for themselves to have some time on finding inner peace or spirituality.