Author Topic: Dalai Lama's website hacked???  (Read 9301 times)

Q

Dalai Lama's website hacked???
« on: August 13, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »
Just read this on the news about HHDL's website hacked by viruses and spyware.

So... can someone tell me how does a CTA operated website gets hacked? It's like the FBI or the defense department gets cyber attacked. Guess the CTA does not really take their own government security seriously, how would they want other nations to take them serious?

The Dalai Lama’s website has been hacked and infected with viruses, including with spyware that could be used to track visitors, a computer security company warned.
Experts with the Kaspersky Lab said the Central Tibetan Administration website, Tibet.net, is under repair, BBC reported.
Hackers found a “back door” into browsers’ computers, the company warned. A spokesman for Kaspersky called it the “initial foothold. From there, they can download arbitrary files and execute them on the system.”
This is not the first time the website of Tibet’s spiritual leader has been compromised. The CTA website has been under constant attack since 2011, but experts have dealt with hacks and security breaches quietly and resolved them before serious damage occurred, a Kaspersky spokesman said.
The International Campaign for Tibet, a pro-Tibetan organization that supports the Dalai Lama, has also been targeted in the past, BBC reported.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/13/dalai-lama-website-hacked-infected-viruses/?#ixzz2brgQsPed
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
Re: Dalai Lama's website hacked???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
Just through Dalai Lama's website getting hacked we can tell how much importance if the Dalai Lama to the CTA. If the CTA really care about the Dalai Lama like how they claim, these kind of issues will not happen. Even if it happens, it would be rectified immediately. But having it not being solved, we can really tell what are the things that are deemed as important to the CTA.

It just shows how disrespectful they are towards the Dalai Lama, as well as how irresponsible they are. How would it be possible for the CTA to have their own independence when they are like that? I really doubt their capabilities!

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »
The first thing that came to my mind was a sense of bewilderment that anyone would target a holy man's website for some cyber mischief.

The next thought that occurred to me was whether the CTA would start blaming Shugden practitioners again like they had on so many occasions in the past for so many of their own failings. I have been following CTA-related news for some years now and I honestly cannot recall the last time I heard and witnessed the CTA readily taking the blame for their cock-ups. Whenever a CTA site is down, its the Shugden worshipper's doing. Similarly, to the CTA, all self-immolations can be attributed to China's doing. It is always someone else's fault with the CTA.

Listen to what the security chief of the CTA said in a news report: "Dorje Shugden followers are damaging the websites openly and have their people in all Tibetan settlements. We are worried about their sources of funding. It might be China or some other anti-Tibetan elements," [http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=3646.0 ]. Its statements like this that exposes how immature the CTA is and how unprofessional they are in the way they handle their own affairs.

brian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 04:10:01 PM »
What is new about CTA, they just like to blame others for all the mishaps that happened to them. Why they just want to accuse Dorje Shugden practitioners? Why not Chinese government or some god knows where they are from hackers who just out of mischievous motivation?

This also goes to show the incompetency of the ruling CTA. They lacked the real manpower quality that can protect them from threats, for instance, cyber attacks. Like I mentioned in my other comments, CTA will slowly fade away from an exiled government (meant to fight for the freedom of Tibet and welfare of its people) to a merely self centered group of people who are anti Dorje Shugden practitioners.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 10:54:51 PM »
I guess what the CTA is really doing is to create schism between all practitioners making all of us have fights. With them constantly pushing so hard about the ban would not do any good at all. Yet, I still see the CTA pushing the ban on such a strong headed position. By the end of the day, it does not benefit anyone at all. Yet, the CTA does not see this point at all. It is just sad that they are not able to understand this.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 02:18:03 AM »
The first thing that came to my mind was a sense of bewilderment that anyone would target a holy man's website for some cyber mischief.

The next thought that occurred to me was whether the CTA would start blaming Shugden practitioners again like they had on so many occasions in the past for so many of their own failings.
I have been following CTA-related news for some years now and I honestly cannot recall the last time I heard and witnessed the CTA readily taking the blame for their cock-ups. Whenever a CTA site is down, its the Shugden worshipper's doing. Similarly, to the CTA, all self-immolations can be attributed to China's doing. It is always someone else's fault with the CTA.

Listen to what the security chief of the CTA said in a news report: "Dorje Shugden followers are damaging the websites openly and have their people in all Tibetan settlements. We are worried about their sources of funding. It might be China or some other anti-Tibetan elements," [http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=3646.0 ]. Its statements like this that exposes how immature the CTA is and how unprofessional they are in the way they handle their own affairs.

I also thought it strange that someone would want to hack into a Buddhist teacher's site, but then when I read further, it seems it's the actual CTA site, and so far just the Chinese part of the site, according to the TImes of India.  Not that that is good either, but at least the karma is not that of targeting a Buddhist lama:
 http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/internet/Dalai-Lamas-China-website-hacked-infects-others-Kaspersky/articleshow/21795801.cms
 I too hope that they will not try to blame Shugden practioners again.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »
I am really not surprised at the fact that CTA sites are hacked. I mean - compare the resources of the exiled administration of the CTA, and CHINA! It's worse odds than David and Goliath. But the CTA, however underdog it is, MUST MUST MUST stop blaming others for their lack of progress and efficaciousness. Dorje Shugden practitioners have been a convenient scapegoat for years.

Perhaps that is the kindness of Dorje Shugden.

But enough is enough. Dorje Shugden is not the reason why there is not independence (because the Dalai Lama stopped asking for independence decades ago). Dorje Shugden is not responsible for shortening the Dalai Lama's life - he looks very hale and hearty and has outlived many people i know! So which accusation hurled at Dorje Shugden has actually proven to be true? Zilch. Not surprising then that the karma for blaming others, especially the innocent, will return, over and over again. Basic Buddhism 101.

Even if you don't believe in karma, believe that people are not stupid and if you keep blaming or making false accusations which are not sound and not proven, people will stop believing you - in your accusations and anything else that you say.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

dsiluvu

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »
Dorje Shugden being used to blame again???!!!

The CTA should really ask themselves back...

1. Why is someone as huge and as influential as His Holiness the Dalai Lama's website can be hacked in the first place? We do hear Obama's site being hacked, although America is well known to have ene,ies everywhere.

Then next question...

2. If CTA and the people in His Holiness's office has been great compassionate, fair and kind people, why would the have such hateful enemies who would send virus on to their spiritual leader's website? Do we hear of Mother Teressa's site or organization site being bomb with virus?

3. What have they done that made people hate them so much?

A lot obviously!!! Like discriminate and ban their own people from their own practice! Death threats, violence, and basically bringing the whole Dharma sangha sacredness down.

Everything is about karma... after all... they are suppose to be "Buddhist" nation no?

Okay since CTA/Dharamsala loves to insinuate and tie Dorje Shugden practitioners with everything bad or anything that China does... fine so be it... it's okay... it means if China says every household, monastery must practice Dorje Shugden from here on it... well wouldn't that be the CTA "unlucky day" and our "lucky" day!

The next thought that occurred to me was whether the CTA would start blaming Shugden practitioners again like they had on so many occasions in the past for so many of their own failings. I have been following CTA-related news for some years now and I honestly cannot recall the last time I heard and witnessed the CTA readily taking the blame for their cock-ups. Whenever a CTA site is down, its the Shugden worshipper's doing. Similarly, to the CTA, all self-immolations can be attributed to China's doing. It is always someone else's fault with the CTA.

Blueupali

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 04:04:38 AM »
I am really not surprised at the fact that CTA sites are hacked. I mean - compare the resources of the exiled administration of the CTA, and CHINA! It's worse odds than David and Goliath. But the CTA, however underdog it is, MUST MUST MUST stop blaming others for their lack of progress and efficaciousness. Dorje Shugden practitioners have been a convenient scapegoat for years.

Perhaps that is the kindness of Dorje Shugden.

But enough is enough. Dorje Shugden is not the reason why there is not independence (because the Dalai Lama stopped asking for independence decades ago). Dorje Shugden is not responsible for shortening the Dalai Lama's life - he looks very hale and hearty and has outlived many people i know! So which accusation hurled at Dorje Shugden has actually proven to be true? Zilch. Not surprising then that the karma for blaming others, especially the innocent, will return, over and over again. Basic Buddhism 101.

Even if you don't believe in karma, believe that people are not stupid and if you keep blaming or making false accusations which are not sound and not proven, people will stop believing you - in your accusations and anything else that you say.

Actually I was thinking the same thing--- that the CTA, despite having people who are quite intelligent working for it, of course doesn't have the sort of resources of the American CIA or the Chinese version of the CIA to secure their site.  I don't know very much about hacking so I do not know how the sort of viruses work that they are referring to; but you know I really mostly wonder why China has always seemed so interested in Tibet--- the 1950s are not the first time in history that China wanted Tibet.  Why Tibet?  It may have been strategic back in the 50s but is China really planning to take over its neighbors anymore?  I doubt it; I guess now they don't want to give it back because they would be embarrassed?  Like the British and Gibraltar?

DharmaSpace

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 05:35:22 PM »
The accusations from the CTA is entirely baseless and why would Dorje Shugden practitioners bother about hacking a website of CTA that is obviously have no significance at all. The CTA website does not do much or benefit people let alone their own Tibetans.

CTA is the organisation that is still officially implementing the Dorje Shugden ban, so what kind of credibility does it have that it cannot even protect the Dalai Lama's website.

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »

1. Why is someone as huge and as influential as His Holiness the Dalai Lama's website can be hacked in the first place? We do hear Obama's site being hacked, although America is well known to have ene,ies everywhere.

Then next question...

2. If CTA and the people in His Holiness's office has been great compassionate, fair and kind people, why would the have such hateful enemies who would send virus on to their spiritual leader's website? Do we hear of Mother Teressa's site or organization site being bomb with virus?

A lot obviously!!! Like discriminate and ban their own people from their own practice! Death threats, violence, and basically bringing the whole Dharma sangha sacredness down.

Everything is about karma... after all... they are suppose to be "Buddhist" nation no?

Okay since CTA/Dharamsala loves to insinuate and tie Dorje Shugden practitioners with everything bad or anything that China does... fine so be it... it's okay... it means if China says every household, monastery must practice Dorje Shugden from here on it... well wouldn't that be the CTA "unlucky day" and our "lucky" day!

Totally agreed!!! It is because of their attitude towards others, their laziness, and the lack of responsibility in them that has created so much "trouble". The worst thing that a nation can do is to allow their leader's website to be hacked, not even being to detect and solve the problem quickly. Through all of us can tell that they do not hold any importance towards the Dalai Lama. They do not respect him and will not protect him in dangerous situations.

lotus1

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 08:33:42 PM »

Then next question...

Well said. Totally agreed.
In the IT world, we are fully aware that there are many malwares that are programmed and constantly trying to hack other websites. If CTA are doing their job and hold importance on HH Dalai Lama, they would have done all the necessary measurements to protect CTA & HH Dalai Lama website.

Well, if we look from another angle, if this accusation of Dorje Shugden is the cause of the website being hack and make China promoting more on Dorje Shugden, isn’t it great?

Rinchen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
It would definitely be good if the accusations is in the direction that people are trying to promote Dorje Shugden that is why the Dalai Lama's website is being hacked. Unfortunately, the CTA is only able to point fingers at China without a valid reason. It would be easier for them to just say that it is caused by someone without having to give any reasons to it at all.

But if the hacking was because of Dorje Shugden, I believe that the CTA would have a lot of work at their end to be doing something about it. Apart from creating more false news that puts Dorje Shugden in the limelight.

DharmaSpace

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 09:27:06 AM »
This is a very cute news indeed. Why create the bad karma of having our websites hacked besides there is not much  of interest for Gelug practitioners to hack the website.

If we did hack those websites we would have Dorje Shugden motives all over the site, they aren't any is there? 

icy

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »
I am not surprised Dalai Lama's website has been hacked.  It can occur just to anyone anywhere.  More over the Dalai Lama is world famous, definitely a sure target for hackers.

Yes, I think CTA may accuse Dorje Shugden practitoners to be the hackers, wouldnt they?  They always find DS practitioners to be scrapegoats.