Author Topic: The Buddhist Video Game  (Read 10575 times)

sonamdhargey

The Buddhist Video Game
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:32:33 AM »
Dear friends, i found an article of a new Buddhist game. The goal of the game is to observe, reflect, and be in the present moment. Any attempt to control the on-screen character or cause something to happen other than what is currently being displayed on the screen results in “game over”. As you succeed in doing nothing, the on-screen character will go to different environments to meditate. The scenery is pleasing to observe and this is the goal; to observe and enjoy.

Read more http://creativespirited.com/concept.htmloncept.html[/url]

Aurore

Re: The Buddhist Video Game
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
I think it's a good attempt to bring elements of Buddhism into arcades where teenagers frequently visits. The usual games would feature fighting, mysteries, shooting and killing. Doing nothing would be challenging indeed for the young people who enjoys excitement and adrenaline rush.

The downside is this game may not be popular. Whether it is or not, this can be a new method to plant seeds of Buddhism. Hopefully, there can be more games of different types which teaches Buddhism like this future.

Big Uncle

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:57:16 PM »
It is always nice to see Buddhism infiltrating to every aspects of our lives. I think that Buddhism has a universal message of peace, compassion and meditation. This qualities may seem opposite to what one would expect out of a computer game. However, there are many genres of computer games that could potentially fit into the image and message of Buddhism.

I think it is beautiful way to spread the message to especially children who would be more engrossed in a computer game than a Dharma book. Well, one would have to move with the times and see this as an excellent opportunity to spread Buddhism. If the concept of the game is well developed, it can even get many kids speaking the lingo of the game as well, which would be wonderful for a Dharma game.

Positive Change

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
It is always nice to see Buddhism infiltrating to every aspects of our lives. I think that Buddhism has a universal message of peace, compassion and meditation. This qualities may seem opposite to what one would expect out of a computer game. However, there are many genres of computer games that could potentially fit into the image and message of Buddhism.

I think it is beautiful way to spread the message to especially children who would be more engrossed in a computer game than a Dharma book. Well, one would have to move with the times and see this as an excellent opportunity to spread Buddhism. If the concept of the game is well developed, it can even get many kids speaking the lingo of the game as well, which would be wonderful for a Dharma game.

I like what you have said here Big Uncle... in this day an age, what better way to "infiltrate" the lives of the young then through these skillful methods. The thing is, when children "associate" Dharma as "fun" and "cool" from a tender age, then it becomes easier to absorb and easier to embrace in their adult lives. Hence it is very important to instill this in our children, who are the younger generation that will be our leaders in the future. What better leaders they will be with Dharma in their hearts and lives.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
This is such an awesome idea! Even though it sounds stimulating that there are no instructions and you have to figure out the game yourself - I don't know how exciting it is to play a game that has no goal!

I remember that I read a question on another Buddhist forum last year about whether this person was allowed to play video games even though he was a Buddhist... I guess this answers his question? Yes, if it's The Buddhist video game :)

NYU game inspired by Buddhism teaches that not every game has a goal

By Tracey Lien on Jan 08, 2013 at 11:40p @traceylien
Tweet

The Buddhist, an arcade game co-created by Bona Kim as part of the New York University Interactive Telecommunications Program, aims to make people aware of their "goal seeking behavior," according to the game's developer.

The game shuns linear narrative and conventional video game goals by removing the hero/heroin-driven storyline and as well as instructions on how to play the game.

"The experience is for you to figure out how to play the game yourself," co-creator Bona Kim said in an interview with Engadget. "My project partner and I thought that people get so much catharsis out of linear art because people are always contemplating on ... making meaning out of their life by recontextualising past events, so through this game we're trying to alert people to their constant goal seeking behavior."

The Buddhist aims to introduce Buddhist concepts to players such as some of us are just too goal driven to be happy and the importance of living in the present.

bambi

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 03:11:16 AM »
How cute! Buddhist inspired arcade games! I agree with Aurore. The usual games that the children play nowadays are scary. I see my kids play those violent games and I am worried. I would rather my kids play games like this and use their brains for something. My kids would rather play games than read Dharma books. We should have more Dharma inspired videos for children too. Something to learn yet interesting at the same time. Something like this
The Illustrated Story of Dorje Shugden - Part 1/2 (HD)

Q

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »
Buddhism has been known to 'change' it's ways to be more appeal for the people of different generations. It is like pharmaceutical companies, making medications more palatable for people to consume, Buddhists are following the same concept out of compassion.

If you want people to take the medicine, it better taste good!

I believe this is one skillful way to bring Buddhism to young children during times where samsara has such a huge draw rather than a spiritual life. This is like the 'airplane' spoon that contains the cereals you hate to eat for breakfast... haha. I think given a chance, it may make more people start to question about Buddhism, and we all know when the questioning starts, it never ends until Enlightenment!

pgdharma

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:24:58 PM »
This is a very interesting and cool concept. I like the idea and I think this is one skilful way of spreading the dharma. Children nowadays are hooked on playing computer games that are violent and this concept of Buddhist video game is a good way to instill some dharma teachings into the children. Using this method, young children may think that this is fun. This is another way of planting dharma seeds .

Dorje Pakmo

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »
I agree with the idea of creating and having more of such games that teaches and have values of Buddhism weaved in it's content. Let's face it, kids these days will in one way or another get their hands on Iphones, Tabs and all sorts of other handheld machines and spend quite a lot of their time with it playing games or watching videos. From my observations, often to keep the kids busy while having breakfast, lunch, dinner or outings. Due to the kids short attention span and are not being able to stay still or gets impatient, mums and dads will hand over their handhelds which is pre-loaded with games or videos to keep their kids occupied. No wonder kids these days wear thick glasses even at a very young age.

While I do not like and agree with the idea of kids spending too much time on handhelds or computer games, but the truth is that in our time now, it is quite impossible to totally deprive kids from playing handheld games or watching videos using handheld machines. Since that is already the case, why not give them games which will allow them to learn instead of shooting at things?

I went through the flow chart for the game mentioned above. No offence to anyone, but to me personally, it is a really boring game. But the idea for having such game is really great. I just hope in future they can make more games that are more interesting, engaging and allow learning to be fun and easier instead of sitting there pretending to be meditating while looking at the screen. Sorry I just don't see how by stressing our eyes watching the screen passes by allows one to learn anything (other than patience and sore eyes). Especially with kids and teenagers who are so much driven by interactivity. I would just fall asleep (standing in this case). Lol!

http://creativespirited.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/final_sm3.pdf
DORJE PAKMO

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:28:31 AM »
It was known to be one of the more mysterious exhibits at the ITP Winter Show at NYU. In fact, when a reporter asked its co-creator Bona Kim what it was all about, she wouldn't expose her secret to playing her game, The Buddhist. She said that the point was not to know the cheats and ways to win the game. Instead, the game is meant to adhere to the tenets of Buddhism by divorcing it of "the hero / heroine-driven linear narrative" present in so many of the games we've come to know and love.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »
This is great!!!!

Since kids/teens nowadays just love to spend their time on computer games, this would help to steer them away from spending time on the wrong type of games/videos.

At least this is not competitive and violent.

But to hold the children's attention, to ensure that they really glue themselves and not steer their eyes away from the screen, such a game should be interesting for them; a sort of attention-grabbing video/game.

kris

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
This is such a great idea to promote Buddhism :) and I hope the producer can keep improving the game to make it more and more popular :)

In this era, we need to be creative in order to capture the younger market. Asking the teenagers to sit down and meditate is quite difficult in this era (generally speaking), and that's why we need to have other ways to plant the Dharma seed. I think such video game is a good way. Another good way is mobile apps.

Let's all be creative :)

DSFriend

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 02:13:05 PM »
This game will surely standout in the arcades..if not for being the most popular, it will surely be the most "different" 

What stood out to me while reading this article is the influence of Buddhism in the western world today. This "game" is a result of westerners being exposed to the Buddhist philosophy. Having a game driven by Buddhist philosophy is a quick way to having it assimilated into the culture...what better way to start 'em young :)

RedLantern

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »
Not a real game,just an abstract artist representation about the futility of trying to figure out how to obtain Nirvana.It is a neat artistic piece with a deeper mean.
Need to meditate on the impermanence of life.In truth the game short start and then immediately end to show
that all lives moves toward,death and life moves forward.Nothing last forever,the player could then meditate
at the screen on how their quest for high score in their own life is fruitless and can be sure what truly matters to them.
There's more to life to them than collecting coins?That's the main functions of all arcade games,including this one.

apprenticehealer

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 07:51:40 AM »
This sounds like a great game! Not only for children but also for adults.

A game that only requires you to ' observe, reflect , and be in the present moment ', is a great way to be mindful of our every thought and action, and in this case , one does not need to do anything to control the on-screen character but just watch and be mindful. 

Nowadays, a lot of children and young people invest so much of their time playing video games and the more violent the game is - the better! What has society become !
And adults are so caught up in this pressure cooker society that is generating more and more stress , and hence creating such negative emotions in themselves .

They do not have the time, effort , energy , inclination or know how to relax, reflect , be mindful or meditate.
The concept of this game shows them how to do it, shows them the ability to let go (in this case the control of the game's character) and eventually the 'reward 'is this wonderful peace that one experiences.

What a 'cool' video game !