Author Topic: Monks Lose Relevance as Thailand Grows Richer  (Read 9416 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Monks Lose Relevance as Thailand Grows Richer
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »
It is sad to hear that monkhood is losing popularity in Thailand where I had thought was filled with saffron robes. So much for postcards. I guess that over time, people have changed from worshipping at Buddhist temples to praying in shopping malls! It is a sign of spiritual degeneration as materialism arises. It is not just Thailand though but I think the world in general, where attachment and craving is on the rise. However, as times have changed, so should methods, and while renunciation is obviously necessary for higher attainments, perhaps the focus should be more on how to attain peace within a material world, which is the direction Dorje Shugden is taking – as a deity to bring outer wealth, which is immediately attractive to the average person, and then, as we do his practice, it will lead to inner wealth later.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

apprenticehealer

Re: Monks Lose Relevance as Thailand Grows Richer
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »
This is extremely sad, that how much materialism can distract one from spiritualism.

In the past, when the country is poor, parents will send their sons to the monasteries to be educated and cared for. It was also the time when it was good merits for the parents and ancestors that there is a monk in the family. It was also with great pride that the parents attend the ordination ceremonies.

But when the country becomes wealthier, the pull of distraction away from the monastic studies and spiritualism becomes stronger, the net of samara closes in tighter. Laymen no longer wants to live their lives  in devotion and dedication to Buddha , in religious studies , in meditation, when all the bright lights and comfort are calling and so easily attainable.

I know that even in Sri Lanka where boys ( many are orphans ) who entered the monasteries at a young age leave when they reach their late teens, and these monasteries are also experiencing fast dwindling of monks. And it is reaching a rather desperate shortage of trained monks to perform the many ceremonies and rituals , and also in the training and educating of new novices.

I feel there need to be a change in people's attitude and mindset. I agree with WisdomBeing that "the direction Dorje Shugden is taking - as a deity to bring outer wealth, which is immediately attractive to the average person, and in turn, as we do his practice, it will lead to inner wealth later.'