Author Topic: Ann Curry of NBC News Interviews His Holiness the Dalai Lama  (Read 9524 times)

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
Ann Curry of NBC News Interviews His Holiness the Dalai Lama
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:50:00 AM »
Small | Large

His Holiness the Dalai Lama is interviewed by NBC's Ann Curry during his October 2012 Visit to Syracuse, New York, USA. The interview was originally broadcast on October 11, 2012.

Video courtesy NBC

====================================================================

As more Tibetans set themselves on fire, the subject of Tibet becomes the talk in the entire world. Along with it the ban of Shugden becomes visible in the internation arena.

I like what HHDL has said here when interviewed: "the power of gun has short term effect whereas the power of truth is long term and more prevalent"

I hope this truth about Dorje Shugden will prevail and it be soon so that less will need to suffer for it
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

dsiluvu

Re: Ann Curry of NBC News Interviews His Holiness the Dalai Lama
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
YES completely AGREE with His Holiness the Dalai Lama who spoke with must gusto... FREEDOM in religion and culture which should be applied across the board, even Dorje Shugden practitioners. What His Holiness said is true, if those that set themselves on fire for sincere motivation - for Buddha Dharma then it is worth it... but a part from that, it is really quite sad. Every human being have right to be FREE!

True that the world spins forward and the trend evolves through the basis of human desire and NO force could ever stop the transformation of people's desire to have Freedom, Openness and democracy... so hence we have every right to have this Freedom too in our religion, in practising Dorje Shugden. Nothing can stop this development for it is the truth!

Lineageholder

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
The Dalai Lama still refuses to discourage Tibetans from setting themselves on fire.  Although self-sacrifice when required has been a bodhisattva action in the past, the Dalai Lama should not remain quiet on this issue because people's lives are at stake here and now.  To refuse to condemn these actions, which are in fact violent actions, is quite shameful.  Buddhism doesn't teach that it's permissible to kill yourself.  These actions are not making any difference to the Tibetan situation anyway.

I don't get when he means when he says his 'boss' is the six million Tibetans in Tibet, I thought he wasn't a political leader any more?  Is he a religious leader (in which case, like a bodhisattva, his 'boss' are all living beings) or a political leader?  He doesn't even seem to know any more.

Manjushri

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
@4.55 Ann Curry asks "IF there was one thing you could do for your people, what would it be?". Dalai Lama says "Freedom".

How can your people have freedom when you don't even allow religious freedom, and the freedom to practise what your people want! How contradictory to want freedom for your people when you have placed the ban on Dorje Shugden. Freedom is applicable to all aspects, not just the freedom from China or the freedom of education. To gain freedom, you have to give freedom. Cause and Effect, dear Dalai Lama. Anyways, a diplomatic interview nonetheless.

Lineageholder

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »
To gain freedom, you have to give freedom. Cause and Effect, dear Dalai Lama.

Well said, and quite true  :)

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
@4.55 Ann Curry asks "IF there was one thing you could do for your people, what would it be?". Dalai Lama says "Freedom".

How can your people have freedom when you don't even allow religious freedom, and the freedom to practise what your people want! How contradictory to want freedom for your people when you have placed the ban on Dorje Shugden. Freedom is applicable to all aspects, not just the freedom from China or the freedom of education. To gain freedom, you have to give freedom. Cause and Effect, dear Dalai Lama. Anyways, a diplomatic interview nonetheless.

the dangers of intertwining religion and politics together. You can't present the entire length and depth of your spirituality in the platform of politics and vice versa. Any attempts to do so you will get a gun pointed at you. We can't avoid facts in life which brings us to where we are. HHDL has to keep a diplomatic approach in order to keep the situation calm and amicable to those watching.

Yes, cause resembles effect, my take on this is still the same, if you don't give freedom, don't expect any freedom in return.
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »
I have some questions on this. The Dalai Lama says that the self immolations are "difficult to judge whether or not it is the right or wrong way", and that they are just expressing the need for more religious freedom." But well, there are so many other constructive methods that does not require them to burn themselves up. The Dalai Lama also said that it is a nonviolent way of protesting...how can it be nonviolent when the self immolators are burning themselves up (it's suicide, no matter how you want to say it) and you dont have to be an expert in Buddhism to see that it is just plain wrong. Also, when a self immolator dies, their family members and the neighborhood that they stay in will get into trouble as the police will show up. Nonviolent?

kris

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »
It seems like a broken recorder which repeats itself over and over again... HH Dalai Lama talks about democracy, freedom, liberation etc for the people of Tibet, but why do you have double standards? I respect you a lot and really love your teachings, but on this topic, why the BAN? Why don't you stop CTA from bullying your own people!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »
It seems like a broken recorder which repeats itself over and over again... HH Dalai Lama talks about democracy, freedom, liberation etc for the people of Tibet, but why do you have double standards? I respect you a lot and really love your teachings, but on this topic, why the BAN? Why don't you stop CTA from bullying your own people!

I dont really think the real problems lie with the Dalai Lama. It lies with CTA. Why? The Dalai Lama can ban any deity he wants to, but CTA, as a secular entity should not enforce it as secularism and religion should not mix at all. The fact that CTA is enforcing the Dorje Shugden ban in some of the most inhumane ways possible such as publishing hit lists of Dorje Shugden practitioners is very sickening when a government who is supposed to protect the people turn against their own people just because of a religious difference.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 03:32:55 PM »

I don't get when he means when he says his 'boss' is the six million Tibetans in Tibet, I thought he wasn't a political leader any more?  Is he a religious leader (in which case, like a bodhisattva, his 'boss' are all living beings) or a political leader?  He doesn't even seem to know any more.

Lineageholder, that statement is an old favorite amongst politicians, to give the impression that they are answerable to the people. In the Dalai Lama's case, it is patently untrue. The Dalai Lama was not elected into power by the people, nor is he accountable to anyone, nor do they have "Dalai Lama Elections" and it is in elections, and through the threat of being voted out of office that people hold politicians accountable for their actions and results, or lack thereof. Such is not the case with the Dalai Lama. To be answerable to a boss means we have to refer to the boss before we make critical decisions. However, the Dalai Lama did not consult any one of his 6 million "bosses" before making the unilateral decision in Strasbourg in 1988 to abort the fight for Tibetan independence, opting instead for autonomy. And the Dalai Lama certainly did not consult any of his "bosses" before imposing the Dorje Shugden ban that shook the Tibetan community to its core.

In fact the Dalai Lama is fully aware that he is regarded as a God-King and virtually every Tibetan hangs on his every word and to oppose the Dalai Lama is not only treason against the king but also a sin against a Buddha incarnate. I find the Dalai Lama's statement that he has 6 million bosses quite curious and very misleading, although it sounded good to a democratic audience.

For the Dalai Lama to even imply that self-immolation MAY be a correct "non-violent" means of protest is really quite shocking. Bearing in mind what I stated earlier, the simple Tibetans look to the Dalai Lama for guidance and instructions and if His Holiness even implies that it is fine to commit suicide under certain self-assessed circumstances, then he is really encouraging Tibetans to go figure out for themselves if they can work out a "just cause" and if they can, then to go ahead and self immolate. The Dalai Lama, as well as the rest of the world already knows that such tragic actions and unnecessary waste of lives have not worked. Why doesn't His Holiness speak out against it just like the two Karmapas have, with Karmapa Thaye Dorje even saying in no uncertain terms, that suicide goes against the teachings of Buddhism. What is stopping the Dalai Lama and indeed the CTA from putting a stop to these unnecessary and ineffective waste of lives? What do they have to gain if not political mileage at the cost of Tibetan lives...and come to think about it, how come the "bosses" are the ones sacrificing their lives, not than I am suggesting anyone else should.

It is also important to take notice of the statement left by one of the self immolators as read out by Anne Curry, "As we reflect on the past, we see nothing but signs of defeat, anger, anguish, tears...". That is such a telling indictment of the miserable failure of the Tibetan government in exile, who might be forgiven for not being able to recover Tibet’s independence but cannot be exonerated for failing to give the people even a glimmer of direction and hope. How did that happen we may ask? Perhaps the Dalai Lama let slip the answer, that those in power are relatively “free and comfortable” in their version of exile compared to the poor Tibetan refugees, and as I have said before, may even have made a great career out of being in exile. Would the CTA officials be so comfortable under the sovereignty of China should the day come when Tibetans are returned to their homeland?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »

HHDL is a boss in a way because it is more or less the Tibetans do see him as a leader of sorts and they do expect HHDL to take care of them and to give them happiness. This is very obvious as you can see this requests and feelings on prayers, and how the Tibetans react to the Dalai Lama. However, at this point of time it has become somewhat of a crutch that they need to depend on the Dalai Lama even for secular matters when they should be handling those by themselves. I do understand that it is a cultural thing but it dosent work during this day and age and they should wake up to that fact.