Author Topic: Buddha Bar - What do you think?  (Read 19701 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Re: Buddha Bar - What do you think?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 06:05:06 AM »
Gosh! Much discussion here about Buddhas in a bar!

I have to join the crowd and am for the Buddha bar concept for all the reasons stated. For those who think it's disrespectful, i heard that even for someone who sits on a Buddha statue or destroys it with anger, they are still creating a connection with the Buddha and it is better than not seeing the statue at all. Is this true?
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

hope rainbow

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 10:30:56 AM »
I have to join the crowd and am for the Buddha bar concept for all the reasons stated.
For those who think it's disrespectful, I heard that even for someone who sits on a Buddha statue or destroys it with anger, they are still creating a connection with the Buddha and it is better than not seeing the statue at all.
Is this true?

It is true.

Why? Because coming across a Buddha image plants a seed regardless of what one does with this image.
This I have heard from my Teacher.

Yet, let's be intelligent, it does not mean that there is no difference between making offerings to the representation of an enlightened being: a Buddha image, and tearing it into parts.

To blow up the giant Buddhas of Bamiyan can't carry good karma, even if imprints have been created in one's mind stream by those that perpetrated the destruction. In fact, this is an interesting example, because the very people that destroyed the Buddhas understood that anyone seeing these Buddhas was receiving a seed of enlightenment, an imprint, and that is what they wanted to destroy.
I can't think that this action brings about good karma.

The Buddhas don't "get back at" the people who disrespect their images.
It's not like we can make a Buddha angry or something like that, and then he slaps you back as retaliation.
But to deprive people of access to Buddha images, and disrespect Buddha images brings about negative karma for it goes against our deepest nature.
We are the maker and guardian of our karma.

Thus the debate about Buddha Bar...
Yes it plants seeds, but some people might create negative karma that they would not have created if Buddha Bar was not a bar?
So is it still a good option?
Or would it be better to find safer ways to plant "Buddha seeds?"

What if... the negative action one has towards a Buddha image is the product of enlightened skillful means from a Buddha in service of the propagation of the Dharma?
Let's think of all the "negative" actions done related to the ban, which in turns helps the spread of Dorje Shugden?  -  a negative creating a positive and done within the activity realm of a Buddha.... (a merit's field that is after all!).
Is it still negative karma?

ilikeshugden

• Email
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 05:01:16 AM »
This is an extremely cool bar. In fact, it would be good for this bar to exist. Why? Because there will be karmic seeds implanted in the minds of those who go to this bar. Also, what is the first impression of alcohol for people with sadness or depression or just got dumped? Happiness. Although it is temporary, this would provide the opportunity for people to associate Buddha with happiness. It is also for this reason, Buddhists can provide food to animals and bless them with a Buddha pendant or show them a Buddha statue. Then, the animal associates food with Buddha. Thus, the animal has positive karmic relations with the Buddha.