Author Topic: So what if Britain didn’t want to meet the Dalai Lama?  (Read 12575 times)

AnneQ

Re: So what if Britain didn’t want to meet the Dalai Lama?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 05:55:48 AM »
I read somewhere that the two Ministers,Tim Loughton and Norman Baker who were barred from attending a private lunch with the Tibetan spiritual leader in the apartment of the House of Commons Speaker John Bercow minutes before it was due to start wrote a private letter to Mr Cameron in July, which they strongly protested about the way they had been muzzled, and complained about the tremendous pressure put upon both of them at the 11th hour not to attend.

They were annoyed with regards to the inflexible instruction and could not understand how the Government could impose a blanket prohibition on a minister meeting a religious leader in private in a non-ministerial capacity. What right does the Chinese Communist Party have to interfere in Western government internal affairs??

Well this is just a classic example where political and economic assertions overwrite interpersonal relations and humanitarian progression. Britain has chosen to ditch HHDL for trade, tourism and Chinese Yuen all for the purpose to boost the British economy. Sad to say, I really don't blame Britain for this state of affair where one has to pander to China's economic powers to save it's own people. For what it's worth, we can all rejoice in the demise faced by HHDL and CTA  over the ban and it's consequences, but personally I do not wish for DS and his practitioners to gain credibility and global recognition at the expense of the darker elements of a political struggle.