Author Topic: Egg argument cracks India's Vegetarian Congress  (Read 9763 times)

buddhalovely

• Email
Re: Egg argument cracks India's Vegetarian Congress
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 07:50:09 AM »
Do you wear shoes? Leather or plastic? Killing animals or killing humans in and around petro-chemical producers are cogent.

Do women have an individual right to decide whether or not they have an abortion? Since men have been making this decision for them for centuries.

Do you believe there is such a thing as just war?

I know the traditional answers – and rationales – from vegans and vegetarians and, yes, pacifists. I confronted and made my own decisions on those questions a half-century ago. Haven’t seen anything since that changes the context – other than the end of the mandatory military draft which threatened the upper crust as much as the rest of us.

They’ve always been able to buy their way around questions of abortion. Modern air travel.

And as I said originally, I have no beef [pun intended] with folks guiding their own nutrition however they choose. Start turning malnourished kids into society? Then, I have an opinion. One I’ve offered at this blog and others for years. Same as I feel about education standards.

vajrastorm

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 09:19:16 AM »
I agree with Icy and others that it is compassion that has motivated us to become non-meat eaters. We gave up taking meat because we realized the tremendous suffering that animals are subject to when they are killed for their meat. We also opted for a non-meat diet because taking meat involves killing the animal for the meat.

After watching  a film on how 'battery' farms cruelly force hens to mass-lay eggs in terribly suffering conditions, I now buy 'free-range' eggs for my meals at home. So  , in the matter of eating,where I can avoid eating food which I know for a fact is the direct result of much suffering and pain, I will do just that.And therein I rest my case as a vegetarian who also eats eggs.   

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »
there are many reasons to why someone wants to be a vegetarian. It could be that they do it to make a statement. Some are vegetarian for health reasons. Some do it because they're inspired spiritually to do so. Others just want to do it just because they can. In any case, depending on motivation and reason, being vegetarian could either be good or bad in the long run. If they are vegetarian to impress others, then whether or not they take eggs etc would be important...