Author Topic: Lama Osel's letter to FPMT  (Read 9676 times)

Big Uncle

Lama Osel's letter to FPMT
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:23:26 AM »
Here's an interesting letter from Lama Osel to FPMT. Wonder what this implies? That, he's gearing himself to take the lead at FPMT? What do you guys think about this?

-------------

From Osel to the FPMT Family
(Taken from http://www.fpmt.org/projects/fpmt/osel/osf-news/1092-from-osel-to-the-fpmt-family.html)

Osel with Lama Zopa Rinpoche. Photo by Ven. Roger Kunsang at Kachoe Dechen Ling, CA, September 2012.

November 2012

Dear Family,

First of all I would like to say hello to everybody working so hard every day for the benefit of sentient beings through the organization of FPMT. I understand that many of you have extra jobs in order to maintain your family and basic needs in life. Also many of you work as volunteers part time, apart from all the other work you have to cope with. It is very hard, and inspiring. I truly admire every one and each of you for all the effort, dedication and consistency that keeps the organization going.

Around a month ago, I attended an FPMT board meeting in California. This is the fourth Board meeting I have attended in the last three or four years. Each time of participation, I gain a deeper insight and understanding of the incredible scope of activity that FPMT is undertaking around the world every day.

In the last few days I have had the privilege to attend the highly professional and inspiring FDCW (Foundation for the Development of Compassion and Wisdom) meeting in Kuala Lumpur. FDCW’s mission is to help children, youth and adults of all cultures and traditions to develop their innate capacity to be kind and wise, and contribute to peace in the world.

As I learn more about FPMT from these perspectives, my respect, and profound appreciation for Lama Zopa Rinpoche and the whole community grows exponentially.

What has taken place since Lama Yeshe's passing in 1984 in my view is completely miraculous and inspiring.

I have nothing but the greatest admiration and gratitude for everyone that has taken part in this wonderful and positive development.

It will take me some time to really grasp everything that Rinpoche accomplishes with the tireless support of Venerable Roger who works to handle all the tasks 24/7/365 days a year every year supported by Venerable Holly, and the amazing International Office staff.

Most people cannot possibly realize the myriad activities IOF undertakes in support of Lama Zopa Rinpoche. IOF develops multi language education programs, practices, and prayers, translates sutras, trains translators, finds Geshes and western teachers, and develops policies and guidelines based on 40 years of experience. IOF helps Rinpoche guide international projects, like the Amdo Eye Hospital in Tibet, the building of statues and stupas. IOF manages Sera Je Food Fund, supports young tulkus, and the expenses of 650 monks for the annual Gelug Exams. IOF manages the Lama Tsongkhapa Teacher Fund assisting 110 main teachers, and providing allowances for Abbots and ex Abbots. IOF publishes Mandala magazine and newsletter updates on FPMT global activities.

The list goes on and on and the above is just a small taste of the way IOF closely follows Rinpoche and supports Rinpoche’s every wish as much as possible.

My admiration for, and thanks to them have no bounds.

Similarly I thank most deeply and sincerely all the directors, the board and committee members, the volunteers, and everyone who helps past, present, and future, in all the centers and projects - activities as diverse as teaching and organizing teachings, leading retreats, providing hospice care, preparing educational materials, archiving, providing
monastic education, secular universal education, publishing, translation, media and communications, and the solid governance, finance, and administration that such a global scale demands.

I have already been able to visit many centers and recently was able to participate in the European Regional FPMT meeting. My intention is to keep on doing so. I hope to spend as much time as possible with Lama Zopa Rinpoche and Venerable Roger, as well as deepening my traditional philosophical studies, and learning more about media communications and finance.

Whilst the positive aspect of what has been achieved in 30 years is overwhelming, there are some areas that I find concerning. I have mentioned before the importance of recognizing, appreciating, and showing respect and concern for everyone who has made today’s success possible. Again I would like to stress that in my view every center and project should clearly display the names of everyone who has carried the load in some way whether it be as a director, manager, cook, gardener, or some other position, a donor, or volunteer. These people are the real Foundation and truly the “F” in FPMT.

While our goal is to benefit as many living beings as possible, and while the scope of that is so vast, we must not allow that to blind us to our immediate responsibility of showing appreciation, kindness, and concern for each other and each other’s welfare within our own community. Unfortunately sometimes our rapid growth has caused a number of situations where we haven't measured up in this respect.

It is my intention to make sure that in the next phase of FPMTs growth we focus on looking after each other. Some of our teachers and students who pioneered the early days of our development are now in their 60s and 70s. While one of our priorities is education for the youth of our world today, as our organization matures, we also have to take care of those who have contributed so much and who are now reaching the stage where they require care and consideration.

For a long time I have also been concerned that so far the organization has relied almost exclusively on donations. The generosity that has been responsible for where we are today is mind blowing and beyond words. Without it FPMT would not be what it is today. However I feel strongly that for the long-term ever expanding development that must take place, we have to think strategically about also generating additional sources of income through business and other commercial activity. This can also provide jobs and employment opportunities so people can earn a living and still have time for practice and study.

I believe it is possible to develop a business model on a positive and moral basis that ensures that business to benefit all parties - owners, management, staff, customers, and the wider community.

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about how to do this and I am trying in my way to explore a number of possibilities along these lines. Like creating Eco lodges where there is available very healthy vegetarian food, Eco friendly and organic grown vegetables, yoga and non-religious courses and meditation, for people outside our community, as a window of introduction to Buddhism. It is essential to have a healthy body in order to fully practice dharma. So we would make that opportunity available, and in exchange have a solid income to support the centers. It is now becoming very fashionable today, to eat healthy organic foods, spend time in nature, and exploring inside oneself through yoga and meditation.

When we are involved day-to-day work with all the difficulties and challenges we face, it is hard to step back and see the big picture and take pride in what we have achieved together. Attending Board meetings and the European Regional meeting has given me the luxury of beginning to see what an incredible job Lama Zopa Rinpoche has done. This in turn is based on the perfect inspiration His Holiness the Dalai Lama provides everybody, which helps us to learn about the true nature in each and every one of us.

The lineage from which we draw our understanding and inspiration is unsurpassable. The real scope of Mahayana in the widest sense is so vast and really can bring such benefit that the potential is almost incomprehensible. That gives us an equally huge responsibility to execute this task to the absolute best of our ability.

Within our FPMT community there is a vast pool of talent and skills that is equal to this task. We have to find better ways to draw more on the expertise that is available, to focus it where it can do the greatest good.

We have to approach this task practically continuously, untiringly and yet from time to time we must pause to measure the way in which we act to ensure that we don't leave anyone behind.

I really look forward to meeting everyone as my travels allow, and I am really looking forward to the next Board meeting and another chance to learn and hopefully in a small way input into the plans for the next 30 years of our development.

Sorry if this became long - my main point is to thank everybody so much from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you so very much everyone!!

Take care, and keep up the good work!!

Big love

Osel
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:42:43 AM by Big Uncle »

gomchen

Re: Lama Osel's letter to FPMT
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:16:42 AM »
Nice. I think this shows that Osel is getting involved in the fpmt, and probably is happy to go with Lama Zopas dictates regarding Dorje Shugden. I know many here are hoping that Osel will go against the Ban, but I don't think that will happen. It would be nice if I was wrong.

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing this lovely letter from Lama Osel. He certainly does sound like he is gearing up to take at the very least, an active participatory role in FPMT, if not becoming a leader in the near future. He is eloquent and charming – just like Lama Yeshe!

While our goal is to benefit as many living beings as possible, and while the scope of that is so vast, we must not allow that to blind us to our immediate responsibility of showing appreciation, kindness, and concern for each other and each other’s welfare within our own community. Unfortunately sometimes our rapid growth has caused a number of situations where we haven't measured up in this respect.

In particular, I like what is said here, that every one who has contributed to FPMT should be appreciated with kindness. During periods of growth, in secular or spiritual organisations, everyone becomes very busy, stressed and focused on goals. Appreciation is often forgotten. I had previously thought that in the Dharma, where we are taught to avoid the eight mundane concerns, perhaps we do not need to be so focused on appreciation. This letter by Lama Osel shows me a different perspective. Kindness to one another and concern for each other’s welfare should be the minimum standard of any Dharma practitioner. After all, how can Dharma practitioners care for all sentient beings if they do not even care for their own Dharma community? i could never be part of any Dharma or non-Dharma community which did not care for each other. Thank you Lama Osel for this sharing.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

DSFriend

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
Lama Osel's message resonates well with me, what he emphasized on from appreciation and care to ways of sustaining the organization moving forward is very practical. People are looking to have holistic living and providing this to people will draw them to deeper practice. This method will enable FPMT to reach out to a wider audience as not everybody are immediately attracted to deep studies and rituals.

It is most encouraging to read also that Lama Osel's tone in the letter seems to reveal his wish to be involved now and in the years to come.

kris

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:10:53 PM »
Thank you for posting this letter from Lama Osel.. I rejoice to hear Lama Osel is still closely connected to FPMT.

As to whether Lama Osel is going against the ban or not, I don't see it very clear in the letter. There may be some possible cryptic message, but they can be interpreted both ways.

I think the most important is that Lama Osel, through whatever He is doing, will benefit many more beings.

Now that Trijang Rinpoche has "come back", I wonder when will Lama Osel will "come back" :)

Big Uncle

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »
Thank you for posting this letter from Lama Osel.. I rejoice to hear Lama Osel is still closely connected to FPMT.

As to whether Lama Osel is going against the ban or not, I don't see it very clear in the letter. There may be some possible cryptic message, but they can be interpreted both ways.

I think the most important is that Lama Osel, through whatever He is doing, will benefit many more beings.

Now that Trijang Rinpoche has "come back", I wonder when will Lama Osel will "come back" :)

Hey Kris,

The letter already implies that Lama Osel is coming back. He can't just start leading and teaching immediately as he had never taken active role in the development of FPMT and he needs a lot of studies to catch up. Hence, he is attending board meetings and taking philosophy classes. But I am sure he would catch up in no time.

In fact, I am pretty sure that Lama Osel would resume Dorje Shugden practice as well once the ban comes down. I am pretty sure about that as Tulkus have the knack of picking up practices from the previous lives and we all know that Lama Yeshe, who is Lama Osel's predecessor practice Dorje Shugden. Therefore, it would not be a surprise if he would resume the practice. Perhaps he is already practicing privately for we will never know.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 04:01:12 PM »

It is my intention to make sure that in the next phase of FPMTs growth we focus on looking after each other. Some of our teachers and students who pioneered the early days of our development are now in their 60s and 70s. While one of our priorities is education for the youth of our world today, as our organization matures, we also have to take care of those who have contributed so much and who are now reaching the stage where they require care and consideration.

And

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about how to do this and I am trying in my way to explore a number of possibilities along these lines. Like creating Eco lodges where there is available very healthy vegetarian food, Eco friendly and organic grown vegetables, yoga and non-religious courses and meditation, for people outside our community, as a window of introduction to Buddhism.

The paragraphs above extracted from Lama Osel's letter clearly indicates that not only is he is getting ready to assume a key role in the future of FPMT, but also  to undertake policy and financial growth decisions that usually falls on the shoulders of the leader.

I like Lama Osel's idea of creating windows to Buddhism by his plans to introduce eco-friendly lifestyle activities and businesses that will reach beyond their immediate community. The concept of wellness has always been associated with Buddhism and is a great way to bring people into their own spiritual awareness without having first to agree to any religious doctrines.

With such a modern mind, it is unlikely that Lama Osel's who is also unorthodox in his own way, will agree to be bound by decrees handed down by a single person such as has happened in the case of the Dorje Shugden ban which is not only illogical to a thinking person, but also blatantly undemocratic.

There is a chance that in due course, FPMT might also be another launch pad for the Protector practice which I very much look forward to.   

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 01:18:10 AM »
I too agree with the supposition that Lama Osel will be (if not already) a Dorje Shugden practitioner. Lama Yeshe was such a staunch Dorje Shugden practitioner so it only makes sense that Lama Osel will be too. He has shown that he is not afraid of controversy, by leaving the monastery to become a film-maker but he has always respected Lama Zopa, who was identified as a Rinpoche by none other than Dorje Shugden himself. I also see that his increasing involvement in FPMT shows that he is preparing for a leadership role. I wonder if he will take up robes again. Perhaps when HH Trijang Choktrul Rinpoche takes on the robes again. And perhaps when the Dorje Shugden ban is lifted!
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

lotus1

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing this letter from Lama Osel. It is great to see Lama Osel is getting involved in the FPMT meetings.
From the letter, I can see that he is very kind and compassion. He recognizes the contribution of all involved in the centre, regardless what is the position that they are holding. He also cares about taking care of all the teachers and older students who are now in their 60s and 70s now.
The suggestions that he gave, showed that he is very modern, business minded and at the same time practical too. We really need someone with such mindset to lead the Buddhist society now to grow further ahead and benefit more beings.
Hope he will have more involvement in FPMT directional meetings and later will also support in lifting the ban and promoting Dorje Shugden’s teachings further.

tsangpakarpo

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 05:00:36 AM »
Reading this letter gave me the feeling that Lama Osel is slowly coming back into the scenes to take charge of FPMT, which is good news for all. He may not put on his robes but I guess the most important element is that the Dharma is still in him no matter what.

It is nice to note that Lama Osel cares for all staff and volunteers of FPMT. This truly shows his compassionate nature. With this in mind, and Lama Zopa getting older, I am sure Lama Osel would not want him to work too hard hence taking up more responsibilities in the organization. I read a lot of how Lama Osel cares and respect Lama Zopa very much.

Lama Osel wishes to bring FPMT to greater heights in terms of being a compassionate organization starting from within. With Lama Osel shaping up to take lead, I sincerely hope he will reinstate the practice of Dorje Shugden within the organization. After all, his previous life Lama Yeshe practiced this protector till his last breath.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:09 AM »
I felt very elated when i read this letter, as it gives us hope that it is possible for a western tulku to actually go back and continue where they have left. In previous interviews, Lama Osel has stated that he was not happy being a monk and that he felt very pressured and uneasy, being given such a title at a young age and also felt that he had his childhood denied from him as well. It was somewhat of a shocking interview for everyone to read and somewhat disheartening too.

But from the contents of this letter, it is pretty clear that the interview is just a farce of sorts.

dsiluvu

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »
This is interesting letter to read. It is surely good news to know that Osel  is reconnecting back with FPMT and by the sound of it playing a key role and would not be a surprise if he takes over as Head after Lama Zopa's passing... it is after all started by him and Lama Zopa :)

It is nice and refreshing to see how Osel plans to reconnect the outside world with Buddhism, seeing it as " for people outside our community, as a window of introduction to Buddhism." And using the wellness concept and life style of Eco Lodges. These activities are very Buddhist/Dharmic and encourages the harmonious living of all sentient beings as taught by Buddha himself.

I do not want to speculate and say Osel will join in lifting the ban but I am quite certain that when the ban is lifted... he will most likely be more open about this practice. On whether or not he does it in secret well, only he knows. What's most important is as he said it is  "...our goal is to benefit as many living beings as possible, and while the scope of that is so vast, we must not allow that to blind us to our immediate responsibility of showing appreciation, kindness, and concern for each other and each other’s welfare within our own community. Unfortunately sometimes our rapid growth has caused a number of situations where we haven't measured up in this respect." This type of genuine concern is rare and it brings out the nature of a true loving compassionate Lama Yeshe as we knew him before.

He also mentioned the importance of our pure lineage hence I would not be surprise if in secret he does practice DS hehe "The lineage from which we draw our understanding and inspiration is unsurpassable. The real scope of Mahayana in the widest sense is so vast and really can bring such benefit that the potential is almost incomprehensible. That gives us an equally huge responsibility to execute this task to the absolute best of our ability."

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 03:25:36 AM »
This is interesting letter to read. It is surely good news to know that Osel  is reconnecting back with FPMT and by the sound of it playing a key role and would not be a surprise if he takes over as Head after Lama Zopa's passing... it is after all started by him and Lama Zopa :)

It is nice and refreshing to see how Osel plans to reconnect the outside world with Buddhism, seeing it as " for people outside our community, as a window of introduction to Buddhism." And using the wellness concept and life style of Eco Lodges. These activities are very Buddhist/Dharmic and encourages the harmonious living of all sentient beings as taught by Buddha himself.

I do not want to speculate and say Osel will join in lifting the ban but I am quite certain that when the ban is lifted... he will most likely be more open about this practice. On whether or not he does it in secret well, only he knows. What's most important is as he said it is  "...our goal is to benefit as many living beings as possible, and while the scope of that is so vast, we must not allow that to blind us to our immediate responsibility of showing appreciation, kindness, and concern for each other and each other’s welfare within our own community. Unfortunately sometimes our rapid growth has caused a number of situations where we haven't measured up in this respect." This type of genuine concern is rare and it brings out the nature of a true loving compassionate Lama Yeshe as we knew him before.

He also mentioned the importance of our pure lineage hence I would not be surprise if in secret he does practice DS hehe "The lineage from which we draw our understanding and inspiration is unsurpassable. The real scope of Mahayana in the widest sense is so vast and really can bring such benefit that the potential is almost incomprehensible. That gives us an equally huge responsibility to execute this task to the absolute best of our ability."

If Lama Osel has made it very clear that lineage is important, it means that he is a pro DS Lama, which also explains why he does not want to teach in FPMT at this time. Perhaps when the ban is lifted, he would come out and teach once again and wear the robes of a monk, which is what FPMT and the students of his former incarnation would really want him to do. For now, he has to stay underground due to the ban. Without the lineage blessings, FPMT centers worldwide cannot grow spiritually anymore and Lama Zopa's Dharma work would slow down. To deny Dorje Shugden is to deny the lineage blessings.