Author Topic: An awakened lineage  (Read 7109 times)

honeydakini

An awakened lineage
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
I've been going through old articles on the website and rediscovered this whole beautiful section about Dorje Shugden's incarnation lineage. I've heard of them before - who they are and some of what they do, but I haven't realised the extent of what these incarnations have brought to the growth of Dharma. There really is something incredible and magical about every of his previous lives, whether it is by the manifestation of miracles and magic, or the sheer discipline and dedication of a perfect scholar. And mind you, not just any scholar, or any magical mahasiddha, but one that had an influence on Dharma in a way that many of his peers couldn't have. I didn't realise just how far Dorje Shugden's incarnation lineage had travelled to, and that his energy and blessings went right the way across China and mongolia (looks like he's going back there these days!)

Here's the link to all the stories. Please do read them to understand our Dharmapala better and share here, which was your favourite story? (Mine was the magical palace/temple that became real and solid. Look out for it!) 

http://www.dorjeshugden.com/category/introduction/incarnation-lineage/

Ensapa

• Email
Re: An awakened lineage
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
All of Dorje Shugden's incarnations have one thing in common, that they all worked extremely hard to promote the Buddha Dharma and they are all very consistent in their actions. One can almost see a pattern in all his incarnations from Virupa to Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsn: they produce great works on the Dharma and aslo do a lot to help their local community. Logically, if someone like that can end up as a ghost or evil spirit,  then what else is holy or sacred anymore?

beggar

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:45:17 AM »
Ensapa, it's not just that they spread the Dharma but from the time of Lama Tsongkhapa onwards, it is also clear that the incarnations devoted their lives towards promoting and spreading the teachings and lineage of Lama Tsongkhapa in particular - just as Dorje Shugden swore to do in his manifestation as a protector - Duldzin, Panchen Sonam Drakpa are just some examples of teachers whose works have endured to this day. Panchen Sonam Drakpa texts are even still being studied in the monasteries today (Gaden Shartse and Drepung Loseling monks rely mainly on these texts to attain their Geshe degrees).

So this incarnation lineage has not just been about protecting the teachings but were responsible for their proliferation and growth among this new generation of practitioner during this difficult times. We owe a lot not just to Dorje Shugden, but to all the incarnations before him. I'm glad this thread has been started by honeydakini and yes, I agree that it's very important to always remember the incarnations that he came from - this strengthens our faith in the power and abilities of this sacred protector, and is a very powerful reminder to us of his truly enlightened nature. 

Big Uncle

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:20:57 AM »
Yes of course, Dorje Shugden could only have arose from the most of elite of lamas. I think each incarnation is unique and left their indelible mark on the growth of the Buddhadharma of that period. However. amongst all these incarnations, the ones that manifested the most activities in my eyes are the incarnation as Buton Rinchen Drub and Panchen Sonam Drakpa.

Both prolific scholars and everybody who know anything substantial about Tibetan Buddhism would know that the Kangyur and Tangyur canon were compiled and parts of it had to be re-translated by Buton Rinchen Drub. This collection remains the standard collection of texts that is the standard representation of the entire width and breadth of the Buddha's teachings. it is incredibly mammoth task of compiling this huge collection of texts. The other incarnation that did massive work was Panchen Sonam Drakpa, he wrote such powerful and clear texts that monasteries like Gaden Shartse and Drepung Loseling continue to study his writings in order to be  examined as a Geshe. There are more but these are one of the greatest legacies left to us by these great lamas. This is a great way to appreciate the amazing qualities of Dorje Shugden because without him, we wouldn't have these great beneficial teachings.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »
Ensapa, it's not just that they spread the Dharma but from the time of Lama Tsongkhapa onwards, it is also clear that the incarnations devoted their lives towards promoting and spreading the teachings and lineage of Lama Tsongkhapa in particular - just as Dorje Shugden swore to do in his manifestation as a protector - Duldzin, Panchen Sonam Drakpa are just some examples of teachers whose works have endured to this day. Panchen Sonam Drakpa texts are even still being studied in the monasteries today (Gaden Shartse and Drepung Loseling monks rely mainly on these texts to attain their Geshe degrees).

So this incarnation lineage has not just been about protecting the teachings but were responsible for their proliferation and growth among this new generation of practitioner during this difficult times. We owe a lot not just to Dorje Shugden, but to all the incarnations before him. I'm glad this thread has been started by honeydakini and yes, I agree that it's very important to always remember the incarnations that he came from - this strengthens our faith in the power and abilities of this sacred protector, and is a very powerful reminder to us of his truly enlightened nature.

You're right, it is not only that Dorje Shugden is the protector of Lama Tsongkhapa's teachings but he is also the protector of the Buddha's teachings. I believe that Nagajurna's view of the middle way is not exclusively followed by the Tibetans alone, as Nagajurna's views and doctrines are practiced in Mahayana prominent countries such as China, Korea, Japan, etc, and also practitioners of the Theravarda tradition will stumble upon Nagajurna's view because it is the correct view that the Buddha has taught. As Dorje Shugden protects Nagajurna's teachings, it is equal to him being the protector of Buddhism as a whole.

harrynephew

• Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Another point to take note that no matter how much suppression there is put onto Dorje Shugden, related establishments, temples and Dharma centres are sprouting like mushrooms after the rain! Take the NKT centres for example, there are over 350centres(correct me on the figure if I got it wrong!) all over the world spreading, sharing and propagating Je Tsongkhapa's tradition according to Je Pabongkhapa's lineage. How fortunate we are to be able to live in this age and time to even hear about it.

As it is said in the Gaden Lhagyama, the guru yoga of Je Tsongkhapa that if we were to hear, think or even contemplate on Je Tsongkhapa, we would earn tremendous amounts of merits. What more if we have the fortune to practice! This is definitely a lineage of awakening, a lineage whereby when practiced, immense results will abound!
Harry Nephew

Love Shugden, Love all Lamas, Heal the World!

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 02:50:26 AM »
It cannot be denied at all that Dorje Shugden's previous incarnations have been working hard to benefit all sentient beings and also to uphold the Buddha Dharma and even take care of the sangha for so many incarnations. He started off as Virupa which converted many people into Buddhism with his unusual methods, down to being Sakya Pandita who converted Khublai Khan and urged him to stop the cruel practice of culling the Han Chinese to balance off overpopulation, to Buton Rinchen Drup, to Atisha, to Bodhidharma, Kangxi Emperor (who built the most temples and statues and encouraged Buddhism to flourish in China)...his incarnations are all illustrious and amazing and the work that they perform is just astronomical. Those people against Dorje Shugden dont even know what they are missing out on.

Big Uncle

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:46:28 AM »
Everyone should realize that his line of incarnations didn't just end with just Dorje Shugden. He is totally enlightened and he was able to carry on emanating and he well known to have taken rebirth as Emperor Kangxi of China during the Qing Dynasty.

Emperor Kangxi came to power just as his predecessors managed to assert control over China. He was a diligent and fair emperor that review everything in the empire to ensure everything from the imperial bureaucracy to the taxes levied upon the peasants were fair and well-regulated. China reached new heights of prosperity and power during his reign and he promoted Buddhism during his reign. Although, there is very little that linked him with Buddhism in Tibet, but his descendants began to look towards Tibet for spiritual guidance and this culminated with the conversion of the Yong He Gong Palace into the first ever imperially patronized Tibetan Buddhist monastery.

That's just one and there are many emanations due to his enlightened nature. I have heard that a direct emanation is now manifesting the aspirations of his previous lives right now. There are also other emanations like Guru Deva Rinpoche who is the emanation of increase or Gyenze and also Samdhong Rinpoche, who became the right hand man of the Dalai Lama and one of the main proponent of the Dorje Shugden ban. There are just many because Dorje Shugden's work in this world is huge and is fraught with innumerable obstacles. It is incredible how just one holy being can have such powerful effect on our world. Incredible!

beggar

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 01:33:43 PM »
Just remembered something. As well as studying the incarnation lineage of Dorje Shugden, to contemplate his truly awakened nature, it is also very helpful to read and study the lives of the many many Dorje Shugden lamas who have recognised his enlightened mind, upheld his practice and taught it to millions of others.

There are the historical masters who have helped the practice to proliferate through the centuries, not just in the Gelugpa or Tibetan communities, but also among the Sakyas and the Mongolians. Here are some beautiful biographies: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/category/great-masters/enlightened-lamas-series/

Also, for practitioners today, who feel like maybe they cannot connect with these old stories of historical masters they have never met, it is inspiring to read about the lives of teachers who are still alive today, still creating miracles and still persevering in teaching and spreading the practice and lineage, in spite of all the opposition they face.

There are biographies here: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/category/great-masters/recent-masters/

Also, special tributes to special lamas who have been especially instrumental in the spread of Dorje Shugden's practice: http://www.dorjeshugden.com/category/great-masters/tributes/

And so, after reading through all these histories and biographies, we must ask ourselves: could it be that ALL these attained and practiced lamas are wrong? Could it be that ONLY the Dalai Lama is correct in saying that Dorje Shugden is a demon and harmful? Can it be that there are no other lamas attained enough to be able to recognised Dorje Shugden's truly enlightened nature? Are all these lamas lying? Or have wrong view?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 03:46:20 AM »
Learning about this lineage also gives us a very important overview of the true nature of Dorje Shugden - that he is a Buddha. Echoing what Big uncle and what Beggar had said, that Dorje Shugden's emanations and the lamas who practice Dorje Shugden today are great examples that Dorje Shugden is a Buddha and no less. For me, when i read about the masters of the old practicing Dorje Shugden and the recent masters who practice Dorje Shugden, the contributions of those masters to the Dharma cannot be denied and that what they do to benefit people is great indeed. Examples include Serkong Tritul, Daknak Rinpoche and Geshe Rabten. If Dorje Shugden is a demon like what the Dalai Lama claims he is, then how is it that all of these Lamas can be so successful with their Dharma practice? It doesnt make sense at all that he's a demon.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 04:58:53 AM »
"Everyone should realize that his line of incarnations didn't just end with just Dorje Shugden. He is totally enlightened and he was able to carry on emanating and he well known to have taken rebirth as Emperor Kangxi of China during the Qing Dynasty.

Emperor Kangxi came to power just as his predecessors managed to assert control over China. He was a diligent and fair emperor that review everything in the empire to ensure everything from the imperial bureaucracy to the taxes levied upon the peasants were fair and well-regulated. China reached new heights of prosperity and power during his reign and he promoted Buddhism during his reign. Although, there is very little that linked him with Buddhism in Tibet, but his descendants began to look towards Tibet for spiritual guidance and this culminated with the conversion of the Yong He Gong Palace into the first ever imperially patronized Tibetan Buddhist monastery.

That's just one and there are many emanations due to his enlightened nature. I have heard that a direct emanation is now manifesting the aspirations of his previous lives right now. There are also other emanations like Guru Deva Rinpoche who is the emanation of increase or Gyenze and also Samdhong Rinpoche, who became the right hand man of the Dalai Lama and one of the main proponent of the Dorje Shugden ban. There are just many because Dorje Shugden's work in this world is huge and is fraught with innumerable obstacles. It is incredible how just one holy being can have such powerful effect on our world. Incredible!"

Reading the previous incarnations if awesome.  But to know that even after taking on the role of Dharma Protector, Dorje Shugden, he still emanates like in the above example of Emperor Kangxi.

It is very likely that even in this present times, there are emanations of Dorje Shugden or Tulku Dragpa Gyaltsen.  All is intact, may the ban be lifted for this great Beings work to proliferate.

kelly

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »
We are so fortunate to meet this powerful protector as his emanation is so rare to meet , so there is no reason to give up this practice especially during this time dharma is so hard to get and so much distraction that we need protector to help us to clear all our inner and outer obstacles.

MoMo

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 03:03:44 PM »
Here's the link to all the stories. Please do read them to understand our Dharmapala better and share here, which was your favourite story? (Mine was the magical palace/temple that became real and solid. Look out for it!) 

My favourite one would be Mahasiddha Biwawa, every male Shugdenpa should love him and other stories about life of a Mahasiddha because all their action goes against our perceptions about how an Arya should be according to norm.
Even his name“Bira Wapa” or ‘Goitered Hero’ already spell that his is a “Bad boy” amongst the ordained, when being suspect of hiding women in his quarter during the night. The shows many of his mundane attainment in the course of his life was most would find interesting. The most interesting one for me was how this “bad boy” went to the bar ordered beer and refused to pay by holding the sun!