Author Topic: Starbucks near Buddhist temple triggers debate  (Read 12322 times)

Big Uncle

Re: Starbucks near Buddhist temple triggers debate
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 08:51:37 PM »
I am sorry but I don't see what's the point of this protest. Just because Starbucks is built near a temple doesn't make it any better or worse for anyone. Perhaps, the decor may not suit the location very much but that's it. Perhaps, the city planner was doing a very good job in allocation of commercial area around places or worship and important sites. Anyhow, I really see what's the big deal with Starbucks and in fact, I find it convenient to get my Mocha when and if I do visit the temple.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 05:28:15 PM »
I am of the same opinion with Rihanna that this is indeed such a petty issue to be debating over. I have been to some holy sites in India, and am sad to report that there are many stalls and peddlars situated at the main entrance to the temples and holy sites. Some peddlars cause a lot of disturbances and can be very annoying too to the visitors. So, having a Starbucks 20 minutes walk away from the temple complex is totally fine with me. Unless, the waitresses from the coffee joint start harassing the people who are doing their prayers in the temple. :)

kris

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 05:48:53 PM »
If we complains that Starbucks or any other coffee shops being too near to Buddhist temple, then should we also stop other tea shops around the temples too? I think it is just ridiculous..

brian

• Email
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
i feel it is nothing wrong to have a F&B outlet opened close to a temple. Can't it be that way? It is not a problem for me at all. What kind of harm a Starbucks coffee outlet can do to a temple? The way i look at it, it should not even be an issue here. Visitors can stop by for a cup of coffee before/after going to the temple. Why would it be a problem? Political issues perhaps? I don't see a problem why would monks cannot consume the coffees served to them and if i am not mistaken, the coffees are free for the holy monks. Merit collection time for Starbucks!

Klein

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »
I don't understand what the real issue is. Is the management trying to maintain a historical feel to the temple and it's surroundings by not allowing modern shops near its vicinity or they don't want foreign products and decor nearby?

Serving coffee near a temple does not jeopardise the spirituality of the place. It's not alcoholic. So it's not a spiritual issue.

Whatever it is, it is very petty. What's more important is how the temple spreads dharma and make a positive difference to the surrounding community.

diablo1974

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
Its natural for a modern establishment to trigger a debate if its vying for businesses or attractions to compete witn an old establishment in this case is s buddhist temples. Some people are unable to accept due to their conservation mindset but also for a reason where social problems such as littering will happened and dirty the surrounding. This might break or affect the serenity of the temple.

dsiluvu

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 06:51:53 PM »
What is the big fat deal??? I'd say YES PLEASE... hit me with a double shot please!

I think it is a brilliant idea... of course Starbucks is out there to maximize their profit... but so is every other businesses any where. I actually think this is a great point of attraction for people to come to the temple knowing the wonderful convenient of getting their cup of coffee conveniently... they will hang out longer at the temple and hence this in turn allows them to explore and get blessings in the temple... why not??? So many skillful means are used to plant Dharma seeds in people... and I must say coffee is kinda of the way to go these days... Coffeee with Dharma... yummmm x

hope rainbow

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »
I was informed of a Buddhist temple in China that has in plan to build a luxury boutique resort on the temple ground itself.
Buddhist tourism?
There isn't much difference with a Starbucks, or even a shopping center...
The essential is the buddhist teachings and its practice, that is the essential!
If some people need an elaborate coffee, let it be.
If others need a luxury boutique resort, let it be...
Some may ask, but where does the money go? Is it abusing temples to make profit upon their attractiveness to tourists? Is it?

Positive Change

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 07:47:30 AM »
I really do not see the point or relevance in protest of ensuing "dispute" of whether is ok or not and that it should be or should not be allowed. Starbucks is a business like any other businesses. The empire is built on a business model that zooms in on a business opportunity with maximum benefits and makes a hit.

I reckon it is a win win situation merely because Starbucks will undoubtedly bring in the clientelle and vice versa. Hence I think both Starbucks and the temple will see an increase in turnover be it profit or numbers of visits.

Even if the patrons of Starbucks genuinely did not intend to visit the temple, chances are highly likely that since they are already in the neighbourhood and the famous temple is just a mere walk away, they just might! And who can resist a coffee or a mocha on a cold winter day whilst coming out of the temple grounds? ;)

What the Temple should do I feel is get in on the bandwagon so to speak and start cross promoting each other. Put flyers and pamplets in the Starbucks whilst get a promotion going with Starbucks whereby each visiting person on a certain day would get a free latte? I know its a little cheeky but hey, we are in a degenerate time and whatever it takes to "trick" the mind, why not?

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
personally, i think it would benefit more people if Buddhist temples could coexist with modern facilities such as shopping malls, starbucks, coffee bean and whatnot - because it would be easier for the younger generation of people to access the temples and also for the temple to plant seeds and imprints into the minds of the shoppers. Buddhists should really be more open minded about things sometimes and focus more on benefitting others as opposed to hold on to traditions or the older way of thinking.