Author Topic: You Are Most Likely to Die at 11 a.m.  (Read 8986 times)

Jessie Fong

You Are Most Likely to Die at 11 a.m.
« on: November 22, 2012, 09:13:49 AM »
It's interesting, how a gene is responsible for predicting the time of the day you will die.  I came across the following article today and thought you might be interested to read more::--

You Are Most Likely to Die at 11 a.m.
By Megan Garber | The Atlantic – 15 hours ago

Particularly when you're older, you're 14 percent more likely to die on your birthday than on any other day of the year. Particularly when you live in certain geographical areas, you're 13 percent more likely to die after getting paid. And particularly when you're human, you're more likely to die in the late morning -- around 11 a.m., specifically -- than at any other time during the day.

Yes. That last one comes from a new study, published in the Annals of Neurology, that identifies a common gene variant affecting circadian rhythms. And that variant, per study co-authors Andrew Lim and Clifford Saper, could also predict the time of day you will die.

Even death, apparently, has a circadian rhythm.

For more on this, read Lindsay Abrams' great overview of the study and its findings. What's fascinating about it from a tech perspective, though, is the role that technology -- or, more specifically, the absence of it -- plays in making the biggest biological determination there is: the time of our deaths. Circadian rhythms are physiological in origin, but they have structural analogs -- analogs that have to do with the highly mediated way we human animals live our lives. When we're younger, we impose schedules on ourselves. We use machines to wake us from sleep. We use artificial illumination to escape a mandatory night.

Manjushri

Re: You Are Most Likely to Die at 11 a.m.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 03:16:12 PM »
Interesting, but I beg to differ because most of the deaths that I know of, do not occur then. Most are at random times, throughout the day, or late into the night.

What is a circadian rhythm?
A circadian rhythm is any biological process that displays an endogenous, entrainable oscillation of about 24 hours. These rhythms are driven by a circadian clock, and rhythms have been widely observed in plants, animals, fungi and cyanobacteria. The term circadian comes from the Latin circa, meaning "around" (or "approximately"), and diem or dies, meaning "day". The formal study of biological temporal rhythms, such as daily, tidal, weekly, seasonal, and annual rhythms, is called chronobiology. Although circadian rhythms are endogenous ("built-in", self-sustained), they are adjusted (entrained) to the local environment by external cues called zeitgebers, commonly the most important of which is daylight.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm#Humans)

Believing in this would mean that you disregard karma, no? Because your karma for death can ripen at anytime, any moment. I do not disregard that we have a biological clock within us, but I do not think tha tit will determine our time of death. When it is time to pass on, we just do. Karma doesn't wait for what we label as 'time'.

kris

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
It is quite interesting to read, but I must say I don't agree with it at all. What is presented is just some statistics findings which does not mean much.

fruven

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »
Yes it is very interesting from the aspects of profiting from it. We have invented a cure to weaken and diminish the effect of this gene and you will have chance of going thru the period of death and live longer. Buy now, visit your nearest pharmacy to get it 8)

Seriously if we live on a 48 hours or whatever hours a day planet our circadian rhythm would be different. Genes are the code executed by every cell of living creatures which come from our parents. Gene manipulation would mean altering the code thus changing our physical and mental constitutions. Those who can afford it would have advantage and those who would cannot would not be able to.

hope rainbow

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 06:05:30 PM »
Most likely to die at 11am, maybe.

But sure to die anytime, definitely.

Tenzin K

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 01:44:09 AM »
Interesting with such prediction. I still believe in unpredictable death as a lay person which our karma that determine our future. Of course our karma dictates from our doing.
One thing at least from this prediction it still tell us that we will die and that is the most important to note and to prepare ourselves.

In Buddhist terms, death is a natural event. The Buddha encouraged us to observe, to contemplate. Funerals in northeast Thailand were very meaningful because they actually contemplated what happened. We could see the body, and it wasn't made up to look beautiful. They didn't put lipstick and powder on it. It was just a dead human body, and they meditated on that. We made conscious the reality: the death of the body is like this. This was not depressing or traumatic for me. When Ajahn Chah held these funerals, no one faint. I found it a very powerful experience.

I had never had such opportunities in the United States to really bring death and loss into consciousness and to really look at a dead human corpse. We live in a society that wants to deny and cover it up. It's not polite to even say the word death in public. We use euphemisms that make it less stark, less shocking. But awareness includes the whole process—from birth to death, from the peak moments of life to the worst, the climb up and the slide down. By reflecting and observing, we free ourselves from the fears, the reactions and the projections that we create around the flow of our lives, around our own bodies, around the loss of our loved ones.

When my own father died, I was with the feeling of loss and grief. It can be witnessed. I wasn't afraid or trying to ignore my feelings. They interested me. To have this ability to really accept my feelings, I had to train myself, because my conditioning was the reverse. On a cultural level, I'd been conditioned to suppress feelings, to deny or ignore them. It has taken intentional, deliberate effort to look, observe and allow feelings of loss or grief into consciousness. This doesn't mean a grasping of feelings or wallowing in emotions. It's seeing things in terms of Dharma. It is what it is.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:23:46 AM »
Jessie, this is an interesting article. I am quite amazed that the time one dies is actually according to a certain rhythm and the research even went into geographical areas. I am quite curious to know if any research have been done on ways to prolong a person's life span. Scientificly that is. As we know, in Tibetan Buddhism, there are certain prayers done to prolong life and clear some hindrances that is getting in the way of the person's continuing his life. For now, I know highly attained lamas have control over the time they leave their body and go on to another life.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:11:24 AM »
Interesting, but I beg to differ because most of the deaths that I know of, do not occur then. Most are at random times, throughout the day, or late into the night.

The deaths that have occurred in my family have not fallen into the 11 a.m. period -- Grandpa passed away early in the morning, so did Mum; while Grandpa took her last breather just before lunch and my Aunt passed away also in the morning, while Dad breathed his last breath in the afternoon.

ratanasutra

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
I only came across of death only 2 cases and both of them died in evening. For me i think death can be any time and any moment therefore we are practice about concentation and awareness so that when the time that death come we are aware and know how to deal with it.

brian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 03:42:46 AM »
A life span of a human being is deternined by merits that this person collected during his lifetime. I don't agree at all to the statement that we are likely to die in that particular time and ineither do I believe our life can be expanded by ways of technology. If we believe in these, I feel that we have betrayed the law of karma which is never going to be possible because once your karma to die ripens, you can't escape unless you have merits created/collected in your life time to sustain your life. Otherwise I cant see a possible link between technology and merit.

bambi

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »
Hehe.. It does say that its 13-14% more likely.
I believe that we can die anytime of the day when the karma for dying has ripened. Anyway, why do I need to worry about my time of death? As I will die anytime and anywhere without any warning. As mentioned in this thread http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2790.0  we can do the 3 practices to prolong our lives so I dont need to worry about the circadian rhythm.  ;D