Author Topic: Buddhists offended by sexy magazine spread  (Read 9080 times)

bambi

Re: Buddhists offended by sexy magazine spread
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
I agree with what Aurore has said. It is definitely inappropriate and disrespectful for the magazine to have done that. With a company so big, I am very sure that they have their legal team. Don't tell me they didnt bother to check or they are really not bothered. Worse case scenario, post an apology or get slapped with a small fine.

Yes, modern Lamas have skillful means to use certain methods but I doubt Maxim is anywhere near.

Well, what is done is already done. Hope that those people also look at the Buddhas in the pictures and not just the sexy girls.

RedLantern

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
Buddhist and non Buddhist are supposed to respect the Buddha symbol ans statues.If an individual sees a picture of statue of Buddha in an appropriate place,they are supposed to place it in a proper place.They should be placed away from daily objects (towels,tissues,napkins) and away from the lower part of the body(shoes,underwear,skirts ,etc).The Buddha should not be treated like a merchandise.
Our sacred Buddha statues and images should be used to represent peace and kindness instead.

kris

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
Many people don't know Buddhists regard Buddha statues/images as Buddha Himself... I think many Buddhists don't know too :) I think what they did is out of "they don't know" instead of evil intention. I will say that they should be sensitive when it comes to subjects like these, especially there are people who take this issue more seriously than others.

Personally I won't feel offended. In fact, I will feel offended if people hide the statues or destroy them, because nobody benefit at all! In this case, at least someone sees the pictures and planted some seeds.

Just a couple of days ago, I was watching the movie "Total Recall", and in the house, there are Buddha's picture everywhere, and it was this scene where the "wife" is trying to kill the "husband". Well, it is a violent scene with Buddha images keep popping up. Is this considered "inappropriate"? Well, I thought it is has quite skillfully planting Buddha seeds during the movie.

Rihanna

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
Personally at first glance, I felt offensive to see half naked models dancing around numerous Buddha statues, but then again, on closer look, they are not authentic Buddha statues. They are stone carved 'oriental looking' artifacts.

I do not think the the creative director's motivation is to offend holy images. It is very common in the West that images that look like Jesus, the cross and other holy images are used as part of props in photography, MV, movies, to attract attention.

On the other hand, it is good that the Thai Buddhists community spoke up to air their concern. At least it should serve as a reminder to all us to be mindful and respect others' religions and cultures.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
I think it is very rude and not appropriate for the models to pose in provocative manner near a Buddha statue. Whatever the motivation of the person who thought of this idea, he has certainly offended many Buddhists, what more in a Buddhist country like Thailand. If it is publicity that he is looking for, I am sure he has gotten it, although a bad one.