Author Topic: The origins of 'Gangnam Style' is Buddhist inspired!  (Read 27224 times)

Manjushri

Re: The origins of 'Gangnam Style' is Buddhist inspired!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »
The way that PSY has revealed that his dance moves takes on a Buddhist influence is like he's taking it as a joke.

"On Oct 21, Psy tweeted a photo with the caption, "#AncientOriginOfHorseDance -1000 years ago in KOREA lololol."

If he would use his fame to spread Buddhism worldwide, then that is great. But I would not put a wager on that... because if he did, then there would have already been signs or directions towards that. His dance moves does indeed look like the iconography carved out in the picture.. well inspirations can arise from anything, so maybe he did indeed get his inspiration from the iconography of the Buddhist depiction.

Thor, thank you for the videos. It was most interesting, as I didn't know that there were so many Rinpoches spreading Dharma through pop culture, music, art, dance etc. Definitely shows the flexibility of the Buddhist teachings - how it can adapt to modern day interests.

Big Uncle

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
I am sorry but I don't think that the dance moves originating from ancient Korean Buddhist culture means that he is promoting Buddhism. Personally, I think it is Psy just cleverly maintaining the hype surrounding his hit song. He's doing this because he knows that he won't be able to recreate the success with another song. Perhaps, he may not come out with another hit song so he is banging on the success of this hit.

However, I do find it fascinating that the dance moves is derived from old sculptures but I don't see the connection would introduce people to the Dharma. In fact, very few people would come to know this. However, I do think that his song parodies the Gangnam lifestyle of excess. That I think is lightly Dharmic in that way. However, I can find very little of the song or Psy being Dharmic.

jessicajameson

• Email
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
Haha! The similarity is either really coincidental, or very well planned. I doubt that PSY intended on spreading Buddhism through his song Gangnam style... However, Gangnam has now been placed on the map for tourist destinations, and the beautiful 500 year old Bonguensa temple is there as one of the main attraction places!!

This is a video of Tibetans really risking it by mocking the Chinese through a Gangnam song for their Free Tibet movement!

Tibetans vs China's Xi Jinping: Gangnam Style