Author Topic: End of the World on December 21, 2012, true or false?  (Read 14939 times)

DS Star

End of the World on December 21, 2012, true or false?
« on: November 04, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
Will the world really ended in 46 days as predicted by the Mayan Calender?

Will the Earth really be hit by Planet X or Nibiru on December 21, 2012, thus ending the entire world?

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

If the world really ends on this December 21, are you prepare to face it?

What would you be doing on the D-day?

Rihanna

Re: End of the World on December 21, 2012, true or false?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:47:32 AM »
According to Mayan Prophecy and from what little i have read, it was never said that the world would end on 21 Dec 2012. All it said was it's the end of an old era and the beginning of a new era. Now, what would this new era be? Yet to be told. Yet to be seen. yet to be experienced. Think about it, how many times have people made predictions about the world ending on certain dates and how many times were they all wrong? I think Nostradamus predicted that too. I can't remember the date but we are all still here, degenerating day by day. So please watch out for false prophecies.

For those interested in finding out more about the real story behind the 2012 Mayan Prophecy, check out the link below. It’s from Guatemala and written by an expert on Mayan cosmovision. It’s really interesting and contradicts

http://www.spanishxela.com/2012-prophesy.html

Whatever it is, live your life as it was your last day. Benefit others, be kind to all beings so that there will be no regrets when the day for you finally arrives.

yontenjamyang

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
False. If planet Nibiru is going to hit the Earth in 46 days, astronomers should have detected it by now. This prediction is over enthusiastic and morbid.  It is full of contradictions. I am not doubting the Mayan calendar and it has advance mathematics built in and is amazing coming from the Mayans who was an established civilization from the 3rd to 16th AD.

What I am doubting is the interpretation of the calendar. It ends on the 21st Dec, 2012. My guess is that the end is a start or renewal of a cycle in the calendar. The end.

Better still, if the world is ending and some of us will die before that date (sorry), then why not ask ourselves what we should be doing now? What can we do in this optimum human rebirth that will benefit us most. The answer, to benefit others ie boddhicitta and wisdom.

Tenzin K

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »
The laws of Buddhism and Quantum Physics are intertwined in nature. Quantum Physics explains that we can only see  what we believe exists to be observable. We realized that many issues of 2012 predictions are largely nature interventions and beyond our understanding simply because we have not gain perspective on the action that seeded this reaction. However, we dwell not into each calamity of 2012 predictions but rather the root cause that created this Karma in the manifestation of such. To increase our awareness, we need to go through learning curves, but one that is in line with nature.

Self-actualization is a painful transformation process, in that it contradicts with our present beliefs that uphold social, political and cultural differences. But the fact that we were once unified with other particles embodied in the same space of emptiness before the creation of universe, it transpire the essence of oneness in human and nature relationships. The true passage to realign with nature is then by living a life with unified belief, which likely explains the “alignment” and “enlightenment” in The Mayan 2012 predictions.

Buddhism is a teaching of Law of Nature and not superstition by any means. Hence, the grasp of its comprehension is the key to understanding the voice of inner-self which eventually explains the pains and sufferings we feel when we are clouded by tribulations as such delivered in 2012 predictions.

Every being in actuality has a pure heart in the form of Soul, the inner-self. But as we react to worldly temptations and sometimes unequal treatments from another, we flaw our personality over the course of lifetime. Our happiness becomes entangled with worldly possession that drives many to greed and ignorance, thus creating unnecessary sufferings through Karma cycle.

As imperfect a human as we may be, ceasing the Karma may be something far-fetched for a start. However, we can try accomplishing the fractions of the Noble Eightfold Path that will eventually transcend to complete enlightenment.

RIGHT VIEW – Know that we come to this world with nothing and thus material possessions are temporal. By understanding that wealth BUT NOT health is disposable, we dispel the fear of loss shall catastrophic events in 2012 predictions take place.

RIGHT THOUGHT – Know that all possibilities embodied in 2012 predictions are the cause and effects resulted from human-nature interactions. We should therefore improve our Karma by discarding selfishness, greed, hatred and uncompassionate intentions from future decisions.

RIGHT SPEECH – Deliver not the twisted facts about 2012 predictions that discourage the society. Instead, convey the correct ideology to look for inner conscience which will guide us to be more harmonious with nature.

RIGHT CONDUCT – By building our personality upon the virtue of honesty, kindness and compassion, we will then be able to embrace the less enlightened ones with love and support that will help to spread the ambience of positive energy on Earth.

RIGHT LIVELIHOOD – Live not in the misconception of spending the remaining time and money on destructive activities as a show cause of surrendering to unavoidable calamity of 2012 predictions. We can change the course through faith and right purpose in life.

RIGHT EFFORT – Treat others as to how you want them to treat you. Love comes back to those who spread love and Earth changes reflect the level of consciousness and responsibilities we give when utilizing global resources.

RIGHT MINDFULNESS – We should always be aware of own thoughts, deeds and speech. If we think 2012 predictions is the platform for character rebuilding, our succeeding actions will plant positive seeds for positive reactions and vice versa.

RIGHT CONCENTRATION – Always try to achieve major goals through accomplishment of its milestones. When our goals are harmonic with inner conscience, our mind will achieve eternal peace and abstain from tempting and self-destructive venture.

bambi

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »
This is so not true. To me, the end of the world means my death. I don't understand why people worry so much about the end of the world. What can you do except live your life as it is and do the best you can now. What is the point moping and sitting around worrying about something that might or might not happen. Just go ahead and do everything to your best abilities. Heck, the end of the world may be tomorrow or in the next 5 mins. Those predictions were done many years ago and we don't even know the truth of its source. My best way to live is to live as if there is no tomorrow.

Tammy

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »
Whether it is the end of the world on 21 December,2012, we should live life with no regrets. How? We should live everyday as though it is our last days. This is definitely easier said then done. But we have to try. As Buddha's teaching goes, everything is changing, nothing is fixed. We are carried by waves of our karma hence we would not know when is the time for us to leave this life.

Create good karma and avoid bad ones, purify our negative karma as much as we could. I hope I am ready to move on when my time is due, whether it is 21 Dec, 2012 or not.
Down with the BAN!!!

Jessie Fong

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
The world comes to an end when I take my last breath.  It is the end of my life, this life.

If this prediction were true, how come everyone else is so calm about it? Should we not be doing something to save the world?  But how could we?  We are at times short of being able to help our own selves. 

Scientists have assured us that the Mayan Long Count Calendar marks the end of a period.

So 22 December 2012 will be a new period.

kris

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
12 years ago, many people talked about the "Year 2000 problem" and claimed that it will cause huge problem around the world and some even claimed the end of the world... Now, 12 years on, and all claim about the it is the end of the world again...

Since HH Dalai Lama is Buddha of compassion, and since He has clairvoyance, if He knows it is the end of the world, He would have hinted all of us to drop all the samsaric things we do and focus all on practices :D

However, I do believe that if we don't take care of our home Earth, we will have problem very soon....

dondrup

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
I am not sure about this Mayan Prophecy on 21December 2012.  Men are very fascinated with the end of the World predictions but many of the previous predictions made had not materialized though. 

However this does not mean the World will not come to an end.  Our Planet Earth is subject to so much abuse and damage arising from pollution, war, modern development etc.  Yes, the end of the World can be sooner than we think.  Nuclear wars or meltdown of nuclear plants as in Japan recently and 1986 Chernobyl Accident can cause the end of the World in seconds!  Scientists have observed the universe and said every moment our planet is in constant collision with particles as small as dust or as big as asteroid in space.  When a giant asteroid appears and in the path of collision, that could mean the end of our World! As long as the causes and conditions that created and sustain our World had changed, we will experience the end of the World.  It is not the doomsday that Buddhists are concerned with.  Buddhists are more concerned with what we do knowing that death can happen any moment.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
Remember the Y2K scare? It came and went without much of a whimper because of adequate planning and analysis of the situation. Impressive movie special effects aside, Dec. 21, 2012, won't be the end of the world as we know. It will, however, be another winter solstice.

Much like Y2K, 2012 has been analyzed and the science of the end of the Earth thoroughly studied. Contrary to some of the common beliefs out there, the science behind the end of the world quickly unravels when pinned down to the 2012 timeline. Below, NASA Scientists answer several questions that we're frequently asked regarding 2012.

Question (Q): Are there any threats to the Earth in 2012? Many Internet websites say the world will end in December 2012.
Answer (A): Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012.

Q: What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?
A: The story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012. Then these two fables were linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar at the winter solstice in 2012 -- hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.

Q: Does the Mayan calendar end in December 2012?
A: Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then -- just as your calendar begins again on January 1 -- another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar.

Q: Could phenomena occur where planets align in a way that impacts Earth?
A: There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades, Earth will not cross the galactic plane in 2012, and even if these alignments were to occur, their effects on the Earth would be negligible. Each December the Earth and sun align with the approximate center of the Milky Way Galaxy but that is an annual event of no consequence.

Q: Is there a danger from giant solar storms predicted for 2012?
A: Solar activity has a regular cycle, with peaks approximately every 11 years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption of satellite communications, although engineers are learning how to build electronics that are protected against most solar storms. But there is no special risk associated with 2012. The next solar maximum will occur in the 2012-2014 time frame and is predicted to be an average solar cycle, no different than previous cycles throughout history.

Facts taken by NASA website

rossoneri

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »
That's too many predictions in regards of the end of the world. The Romans, Nostradamus, Professors, Orthodox Judaism, Scientist and the list continue. I am not too sure why are some people are being so paranoid, even it is true the world is ending as the Mayan has predicted, what can one do? As i am writing this and thinking at the same time, i will continue to tell myself to be more kind and practice selflessness by helping others instead of worrying when would the world will end. Isn't this better, instead of spending most of your time worrying for something that we won't be able to control. As it is our world is degenerating, and we all are responsible of this.

Just for your information, the below link is the list of who has predicted the end of the world besides the Mayan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

biggyboy

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
No matter how many predictions there are to be or have, does it matters?  Whether you are a scientist or astrologer or not, with these predictions, what can we do about it to turn it around?..Can we?  How else are we going to live our life?  Are we going to just wait and sit around to see the world pass by?  Do we have have the opportunity nor the chance to see it, if they are true?  Well, am not going to sit around nor am I happy to see the world ends.  Well, we may not have the opportunity to see it through to say the least.  We, can die any minute from now.  What is more important is what can I achieve and learn to protect and improve my future lives (body, speech and mind) before I die.  Nothing else matters.  My world ends when I die.

diamond girl

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »
It does not matter whether the world will ‘end’ on Dec 21, 2012. I personally do not believe it because if it was going to end, my guru would have told me and since he has not, I believe the world will still be around on the 22nd and for quite awhile yet.

Just for hypothesis though – if the world was going to end on the Dec 21, what would we all do from now until then? Firstly, as a Buddhist, I would believe that even if the world as we know it does end then, we will merely continue on our cycle of rebirth in samsara. It is said that there are three thousand worlds and if the world ends, we can take rebirth on any of the 2999 worlds left! So if we continue in samsara, what do we do in the next month or so? Do we waste our lives doing trivial things?

IF the world was going to end for sure, do you think people would go to their meaningless jobs? Those who are not spiritual would most probably go and spend their time with their loved ones. Everything would be crazy though – because people would immediately stop working – therefore, our food supply chain would be halted. Why? Do you think people would continue to work in the grocery stores if the world was ending? They would want to spend time with their loved ones too. Same for the people who are working in the petrol stations etc. Who needs a paycheck if the world is going to blow up? The world will be in total chaos.

Interesting isn’t it.

Personally speaking, if I knew the earth was going to end, which meant I was going to die, I would go to see my Guru and ask his advice what to do next. After all, he is the only one I know who can help me transition to my next life. So whether or not the world is going to end, I will die one day, therefore I am taking my Guru’s advice already so that I can at least place my bets for my next life...and hopefully a better one.

fruven

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
What's next? If you're a believer in karma your mind will go to next life in another planet. If you're a non-believer would you even belief a prediction? Even if you believe in it do you keep worrying? Does it say something about you not doing important things in life? In other words you have live your life meaninglessly? Are you worry about if you're reborn in the same planet assuming it got hit by something and all the places are burnt to the ground you will find it hard living on this broken planet? Why would you even belief in that? Wouldn't it be better everyone pick themselves up and make a few changes to make this planet a better place to live in?

Q

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 06:27:20 PM »
It doesn't really matter if it's the end of the world or not. Earth is merely one of the billions of planets in existence out there in the universe. The world ends here, our karma will bring us to another existence some where out there... if not the other realms.

So the question if the world truly is going to end is really not all that important, but what will you do with your remaining time if it were true. Generally, people would be nicer, more tolerant.... a better person, trying to make up for all the unpleasant things they have done or have caused some unpleasant things towards some other people. Now, with that mental picture in mind... apply that and live it.