Author Topic: Religion of freedom  (Read 7800 times)

RedLantern

Religion of freedom
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »
Buddhism does not prevent anyone from learning the teachings of other religions.Th Buddha encouraged His followers to learn about other religions and to compare His teachings.Buddha says if there are reasonable and rational teachings in other religions,His followers are free to respect such teachings.
According to Buddha,religion should be one's free choice.To Buddhist true religious principles are neither a divine law nor a human law,it is a natural law.
A true Buddhist does not depend on external powers for his salvation.Nor does he expect to get rid of miseries through the intervention of some unknown power.The Buddha had upheld the highest degree of freedom not only in it's human essence but also in it's divine qualities.It is a freedom that releases one from slavery to dogmas and dictatorial religious laws or religious punishments.

bambi

Re: Religion of freedom
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
I agree! It is very true what you have commented. Whenever I share teachings with my friends, the first question they will ask is "Are you trying to convert me?". Sigh... "NO... Why should I convert you when you don't even practice what your religion is teaching you?".

I used to go to church and Muslim mosque because I want to learn and see what suits me. Not because someone coaxed me into it. It is my freedom and it must be something that I believe and practice. Not follow blindly. Even Lord Tsongkhapa want to many Gurus to learn and understand more. I too respect all religions.

Whatever your religion, practice it to your best ability for all religions only teach us to be better and never the opposite.  ;D

biggyboy

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 05:05:49 PM »
Do we really have real freedom in religion? Think about it what has happened to the DS practitioners? Not only that, what about other religion in different part of the world?  See how their enforcement whether it is from government or families and culture.  Man has no freedom to even think freely not to mention religion alone.  There are situations that man has no liberty to give up nor to accept another which may appeal him most.

In fact, in my opinion, freedom of religion should be allowed for all man kind.  One has no right to force another person to accept a particular religion...it is not for bargaining nor for personal material gains.  Religion is for spiritual development and self-salvation.

DSFriend

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »
In Buddhism, we are encouraged to check out the teachings including the teacher. Ones we have taken refuge, we are encouraged to not be influenced or go to teachers who contradicts Buddha's view/teachings.

How do we even know what contradicts Buddha's view/teachings is possible only if we have been studying the Buddha dharma. We are to respect all teachings but what is the point of studying all teachings ones we have become Buddhists. Perhaps this is a similar logic from other religion for their followers to spend more time studying their particular teaching. Encouraging loyalty and devotion is only the most logical thing.

What becomes a problem is when we have animosity against another religion.

DS Star

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
Do we really have real freedom in religion? Think about it what has happened to the DS practitioners? Not only that, what about other religion in different part of the world?  See how their enforcement whether it is from government or families and culture.  Man has no freedom to even think freely not to mention religion alone.  There are situations that man has no liberty to give up nor to accept another which may appeal him most.

In fact, in my opinion, freedom of religion should be allowed for all man kind.  One has no right to force another person to accept a particular religion...it is not for bargaining nor for personal material gains.  Religion is for spiritual development and self-salvation.

Dear biggyboy, I think there is a different between "Religion of freedom" and "freedom in religion".

This thread is referring to the 'freedom' accorded by Buddhism to its believers or followers rather than the 'politics' issue of choosing one's religion.

"Religion of freedom" as suggested by RedLantern means Buddha did not limit his students to follow strictly ONLY his 'teachings' but rather to take any 'good' teachings from other faiths and adopt them.

For Buddha, as long as the 'good' teachings from other faiths bring happiness to oneself and also benefiting others, then students (followers of Buddha) can adopt them.

kris

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
I was told that in Gaden monastery, monks actually read up about other religions and they debated about it. This is not a put down towards other religions. The monks even try to put down the Buddha's teaching for the purpose of better understanding of Dharma.

In this information era, there are so much information available out there. At our finger tips, we can get information very easily. Whether we like it or not, people will search and "compare" religions, and people will want to take on something they are comfortable with.

dondrup

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
Buddhism allows its followers the freedom of practice.  This means that followers are solely responsible for their own spiritual paths.  No one including the Buddha and the spiritual guides dictate how the followers should practise.  Buddhism is the truth shared compassionately by the Buddha for His followers.  Followers can challenge the teachings of Buddha to prove its validity before adopting it.  It is this openness that makes Buddhism a religion of freedom.  However, once the follower has adopted Buddhism or in other words taken refuge in the Three Jewels, the follower should be focusing on Dharma and not on other religions unless the study of other religions is done for the purpose of comparison and debate. This is not to control the freedom of the followers but to ensure the followers can practise in accordance with the proven methods in order to produce the expected results. 

Tenzin K

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
The West understands religious freedom in the context of human rights. Religious freedom is the first freedom in the U.S. Constitution's Bill of Rights, and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights speaks of "the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion." If we want to understand Buddhist ideas about religious freedom, we should first consider Buddhist perspectives on the broader concept of human rights.

This, however, requires considerable qualification. First, some Buddhists note that the Western notion of "rights" was foreign to the Eastern societies in which Buddhism developed. For example, Shin Buddhist priest and scholar Taitetsu Unno explains that East Asia has traditionally been characterized by a consensual model of society, "ruling out any assertions of self against recognized forms of authority, whether secular or religious." This, he holds, is a model in great contrast to any concept of rights understood as "demanding one's due." In the case of societies originally shaped by Confucian ethics, he notes, the principle of duty prevailed, not the principle of rights.

Other Buddhists also object to speaking merely of "human" rights. Zen Buddhist sensei Masao Abe explains:

Strictly speaking, the exact equivalent of the phrase 'human rights' in the Western sense cannot be found anywhere in Buddhist literature. In the Western notion of 'human rights,' 'rights' are understood as pertaining only to humans; nonhuman creatures are either excluded or at most regarded as peripheral and secondary…. By marked contrast, in Buddhism a human being is not grasped only from the human point of view, that is, not simply on an anthropocentric basis, but on a much broader trans-homocentric, cosmological basis. More concretely, in Buddhism human beings are grasped as a part of all sentient beings or even as a part of all beings, sentient and nonsentient, because both human and nonhuman beings are equally subject to transiency or impermanency.

None of this is to say, however, that Buddhists have nothing to add to the conversation on human rights and religious freedom. Rather, it is precisely in Buddhist beliefs about human nature that we find the inherent dignity, respect, and compassion for humanity (and, ultimately, for the whole Earth) that provide the foundation for the Buddhist contribution to the concept of human rights. Unno notes:

The fact that the Buddhist tradition in its past history has had little to say about personal rights in the current sense of the term does not mean that Buddhists were not concerned with human well-being, with the dignity and autonomy of the spirit. In fact, throughout its long history, in spite of some dark and unsavory moments, Buddhism has taught the path whereby all forms of existence, animate or inanimate, would be able to radiate and shine in their own natural light.

Buddhists understand human nature according to two basic principles. The first is the doctrine of no-soul or no-self. Walpola Rahula, world-renowned author of What the Buddha Taught, explains that when we think of a soul or a self, we generally think of "a permanent, everlasting entity in man", but Buddhism is unique, he insists, because it denies the existence of such a soul. To the Buddhist, the notion of the self is an imaginary belief. Rahula explains this phenomenon as the result of the interaction of the Five Aggregates that Buddhists believe compose an individual:

One thing disappears, conditioning the appearance of the next in a series of cause and effect. There is no unchanging substance in them. There is nothing behind them that can be called a permanent Self (Atman), individuality, or anything that can in reality be called 'I'. Every one will agree that neither matter, nor sensation, nor perception, nor any one of these mental activities, nor consciousness can really be called 'I.' But when these five physical and mental aggregates which are interdependent are working together in combination as a physio-psychological machine, we get the idea of 'I.' But this is only a false idea.

The idea of self consists only of the perception of a series of causes and effects. Moreover, this series of causes and effects is part of a larger circle of causes and effects in an existence that is completely relative, conditioned, and interdependent. The Buddhist doctrine of no-self is part of the larger Buddhist view of a world that is completely interconnected. This second view, essential to the Buddhist understanding of human nature, may be referred to as conditioned genesis, co-origination, or as Vietnamese Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh calls it, Interbeing. Nhat Hanh elaborates:

When we look into the heart of a flower, we see clouds, sunshine, minerals, time, the earth, and everything else in the cosmos in it. Without clouds, there could be no rain, and there would be no flower. Without time, the flower could not bloom. In fact, the flower is made entirely of non-flower elements; it has no independent, individual existence. It 'inter-is' with everything else in the universe.

How then do these doctrines of no-self and Interbeing contribute to Buddhist concepts of human rights? Unno explains that when we understand ourselves as part of the interdependence of all life, we gain a respect for the rights of other people as well as the rights of all other sentient beings:

Respect for the individual and the recognition of rights is not a static but a dynamic fact which makes it imperative that as we affirm our own individual rights we must also be willing to give up ourselves in order to affirm the rights of others. When, however, we affirm only our own rights at the expense of the rights of others-including the rights of humanity over nature, one nation or race over another, one belief or view over others-we become tyrannical and oppressive. The proper understanding of interdependence, as the elemental form of relationship, would exclude such self-righteousness and would create a truly global society of equals.

Unno further notes that the ideal of the bodhisattva ("Buddha-in-the-making") is to put the needs of others above one's own. He helps us to grasp the notion of Interbeing and its relation to human rights, however, as he explains that "in essence there is no one who is placed above the other, for as found in the classical formulation, there exists absolute equality of self and other…and interchangeability of self and other."Similarly, Abe explains the doctrines of no-self and Interbeing: On a relative level, we can speak of selfhood. We can say, "I am I and not you; you are you and not me." But on the absolute level, we cannot speak of any substantial self. We become capable of saying, "I am not I, and you are not you; thereby, I am you, and you are me."Perhaps we can best understand the implications of the Buddhist ideas of no-self and Interbeing by considering Christ's command to love our neighbors as ourselves. If the Buddha had made a similar statement, he might have said, "Love your neighbor because he is yourself." To the Buddhist, whether we speak of "rights" or "duty," when the illusion of self disappears, neighbor, beast, mountain, and tree all cry out for the same respect, freedom, and charity.

brian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
Buddhism has never said that anyone who doesn't believe in Buddhism will go to hell, Buddhism in fact has never discriminated anyone or any other religion. In addition to that, Buddhism has encouraged everyone not to hurt anyone in way of any form. Buddhism has also not encourage anyone to convert anyone by way of putting fear into the person they intend to convert, well having said that i am not really sure if Buddhism is even to convert people. But i am pretty sure that Buddhism does not force another party into their religion. It has been taught that Buddha manifests in different forms and afterall, all religion are just masks and labels. The very important essence of religion is to be kind, compassionate and not to inflict harm to others.

Jessie Fong

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 03:15:58 PM »
Man has no freedom to even think freely not to mention religion alone.  There are situations that man has no liberty to give up nor to accept another which may appeal him most.

Dear biggyboy

I beg to differ here -- how can you say " Man has no freedom to even think freely .... "- you must remember that you have your own brains and your mind - who else can think for you but you and you yourself only?

That being the case, then the freedom is yours to think. No one can force his thoughts on you; he can only voice his thoughts and it is up to you whether to accept or not.

pgdharma

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »
Buddhists never try to influence other religionists to come and embrace their religion for material gain.  Buddha advised those who indicated their wish to follow Him, not to be hasty in accepting His Teachings. He advised them to consider carefully His Teachings and to determine for themselves whether it was practical or not for them to follow. Buddhists are advised to accept religious practices only after careful observation and analysis, and only after being certain that the method agrees with reason and is conducive to the good of one and all. It is for this reason that before we start on our spiritual journey, we have to check out the teachers and after we have found the right one, we should stick to the guidance of our spiritual teacher.