Author Topic: Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight  (Read 3997 times)

sonamdhargey

Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
Jill Bolte experienced a stroke and live to tell her story about what she had experience. What she shared about her experience in her video is very similar to what we learn in Buddhism.

See video here: http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

buddhalovely

• Email
Re: Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »
After the stroke Jill lost functions of left hemisphere. The most interesting part is that despite the loss of cognitive functions, she describes her experience with sincere rapture. She emotionally tells us about feeling of “deep inner piece and bliss” and expresses ideas that I highly connected with a topic of mindful meditation that kind of follows me last month. BTW, here are two awesome Google Talks about it: first, second. I even decided to listen to book of the latter one, but that’s a separate story.

In My Stroke of Insight Jill talks a lot about right hemisphere with which connects this state of bliss comparing it to nirvana. She highlights how close we are from this state: “only one thought away”. But we often lose it by being immersed in our thoughts and actions or in left hemisphere.

How according to author can healthy people get closer to this state? Among many ideas which she shares you can find very simple things. Such as gratitude for everything that you have and what surrounds you, attention to and development of sensory feelings, meditation, special perception of environment during physical activity, etc.

But the most important thing is attention to one’s own thoughts and feelings, conscious choice of what to focus on and what not to. Jill believes in neuroplasticity, in our ability to train our brain through attention and concentration on aspects that we’re interested in.

RedLantern

Re: Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:09:34 AM »
An astonishing story of Jill Bolte,who had a massive stroke and watched as her brain functions-motion,speech,self awareness-shut down one by one as she relates us about her stroke experience. Dr. Taylor's 'self awareness' module was able to monitor,record and remember everything that was happening to her throughout her stroke experience.
Fascinating and uplifting and yet frightening.What if Jill Bolte had damage to the right side of the brain?Would she have no connection to the universal consciousness?
Many people find Jill Bolte inspirational.These people,however are no more self critical than Jill herself.Whether or not she was 'there',she certainly tells a good story about what it might be like to have a stroke.