Author Topic: Forget the Taliban, Chinese copper miners are the new threat  (Read 8148 times)

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
Forget the Taliban, Chinese copper miners are the new threat
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:46:35 PM »
It is so sad that the demand for economic activity and jobs will result in the destruction of these sacred remnants of our holy history. If only there was a Buddhist philanthropist or a group of them could afford to preserve this. I often wonder what kind of karma gives these kind of resources to people who would destroy them. The destruction of Buddhist statues or images is such huge negative karma for the perpetrators who act out of pure ignorance and this is going to happen on such a big scale. Is there no way out of this?

Forget the Taliban, Chinese copper miners are the new threat to Afghanistan’s Buddhas
By AMY OLIVER
UPDATED: 06:46 GMT, 25 September 2012

An ancient archeological site in Afghanistan could soon be destroyed in the name of economic profit.
The site at Mes Aynak, in Afghanistan's Logar Province, is home to 5th-century Buddhist monasteries, temples and other relics, but also sits on one of the largest copper deposits in the world.

A Chinese government-backed company, keen to develop the world's second largest copper mine, discovered the ruins when they began excavating the site in 2010.

Keen to avoid a Buddhas of Bamiyan situation - statues towering up to 180 feet high in central Afghanistan that were dynamited to the ground in 2001 by the country's then-rulers, the Taliban, who considered them symbols of paganism - the company has given archaeologists three years for a salvage excavation.

Archaeologists working on the site since May 2010 say that won't be enough time for full preservation.

But now, those keen on getting Afghanistan's economy back on its feet, are urging the country to move ahead with the mine, citing the $1trillion (£600bn) in revenue it could bring in.

Professor Brent E Huffman, an assistant professor at the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University has been making a film at Mes Aynak.

He says any hope of saving the ancient relics when mining begins is slim.

So far the monastery complex has been dug out, revealing hallways and rooms decorated with frescoes and filled with clay and stone statues of standing and reclining Buddhas, some as high as 10 feet.

An area that was once a courtyard is dotted with stupas standing four or 5ft high.

More than 150 statues have been found so far, though many remain in place. Large ones are too heavy to be moved, and the team lacks the chemicals needed to keep small ones from disintegrating when extracted.

Now, those keen on getting Afghanistan's economy back on its feet, are urging the country to move ahead with the mine, citing the $1trillion in revenue it could bring in

'That site is so massive that it's easily a 10-year campaign of archaeology,' said Laura Tedesco, an archaeologist brought in by the US Embassy to work on sites in Afghanistan. 'Three years may be enough time just to document what's there.'

Mes Aynak, 20 miles south of Kabul, lies in a province that is still considered a major transit route for insurgents coming from Pakistan.

Its religious sites and copper deposits have been bound together for centuries — 'mes' means 'copper' in the local Dari language.

Throughout the site's history, artisanal miners have dug up copper to adorn statues and shrines.

Afghan archaeologists have known since the 1960s about the importance of Mes Aynak, but almost nothing had been excavated.

When the Chinese won the contract to exploit the mine in 2008, there was no discussion with Kabul about the ruins - only about money, security and building a railroad to transport the copper out of Logar's dusty hills.

But a small band of Afghan and French archaeologists raised a stir and put the antiquities on the agenda.

The mine could be a major boost for the Afghan economy. According to the Afghan Mining Ministry, it holds some six million tons of copper, worth tens of billions of dollars. Developing the mine and related transport infrastructure will generate much needed jobs and economic activity.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Amitabha

• Email
Re: Forget the Taliban, Chinese copper miners are the new threat
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:41:07 AM »
But a small band of Afghan and French archaeologists raised a stir and put the antiquities on the agenda.
This is awesome as many of the antiquities could be rescued and presevered. They can't possibly demand for complete recovery of ruins. And consideration for another 1-2 years allowances of time for archaeologists works with the support of necessary equipment for the exavation of ruins as much as they could.

Another likelihood while mining, the miners can adopt a mindset to assist in recovering the ruins for preservation as much as they could, and need not be too worry over the accidental damages done while mining.

Tenzin K

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:26:42 PM »
It’s very important to preserve the all the Buddha artifact. Every single things of the Buddha representative  plant the seed of liberation and enlightenment in your mental continuum. So every time you look at them they purify your mind. They plant the seed of enlightenment, which includes all the causes to achieve enlightenment. How? When you look at them they plant a seed or positive imprint on your mental continuum so that later when you meet Buddhadharma, either in this life or in future lives, you are able to understand the words and the meaning of the teachings. From that, you are able to practice the meaning of the Dharma you have understood, which causes you to cease the gross and subtle defilements by actualizing the path and then your mental continuum becomes omniscient mind. This is what is meant when we say that by seeing holy objects it plants the seed of enlightenment on the mind—it contains the whole path from Guru devotion and the three principals up to the two stages of tantra and enlightenment. Seeing holy objects makes us actualize all of this as a result. This is the effect we get from seeing them and this is how they cause us to achieve enlightenment.

Every time we see holy objects it purifies so much negative karma, so many
defilements. This is because of the power of the holy object. Holy objects have so much power. It’s like an atomic bomb—even though it is small it can bring so much harm and cause so much destruction. That example is negative but what I am saying is that the material has power, like electricity. The material of an atomic bomb has the power to harm and destroy the world. The material of holy objects—statues, scriptures and stupas—has the power to affect our mind, to leave a positive imprint.

It is mentioned in the King of Concentrations Sutra that “Even if you look with anger at a drawing of Buddha done on a stone wall it creates the cause to see ten million Buddhas.” Even if somebody looks at a drawing of Buddha with anger, not with a pure mind or a virtuous thought, but with anger, still because that drawing of Buddha has so much power it purifies the person’s mind, their defilements. That doesn’t mean the person will immediately be able to see ten million Buddhas, but it purifies the mind and makes the mind develop becoming more and more pure so that later one can see ten million Buddhas—which means many.

There are five paths to achieve enlightenment and the first is the Mahayana path of merit. Within that are three levels: small, middle and great. As soon as your mind achieves the great level of the path of merit then wherever you are, whether you are in a holy place or in the toilet, anywhere, you see numberless Buddhas around you. Numberless Buddhas are always there but we just don’t see them because our minds are so obscured. When you reach that level you will actually see uncountable Buddhas in nirmanakaya aspect wherever you are. Then, when you reach the right seeing path, you become an arya being and you can see numberless Buddhas in sambhogakaya aspect. This explains the quotation that “Even if you look at a drawing of Buddha done on a stone wall out of anger it causes to see ten million Buddhas.”

So the benefit we get each time we see a statue of Buddha, a picture of Buddha or a stupa is like the limitless sky. It causes us to achieve all the realizations from Guru devotion up to enlightenment and to achieve all the numberless qualities of the Buddha’s holy body, speech and mind.
Holy objects only leave positive imprints, no negative imprint. When we watch TV or go sightseeing in the city many of the things we see can leave a negative imprint on our mind, depending on how we look at them. But the benefit that we get from looking at holy objects is like the limitless sky. So it is very important to have as many holy objects as possible outside the house and inside the house - maybe not in the toilet because the bad smell might be disrespectful! - but otherwise everywhere. So that wherever you look, always you see a holy object and always you get these skies of benefit.

Pabongka Dechen Nyingpo mentioned in the Lam Rim teachings that one should treat holy objects as though they were the actual living Buddha, not as material things. Every time you look at your altar think that these holy objects are the actual living Buddha but for the time being the only karma you have is to see Buddha in these forms as statues or pictures. Later, when you achieve the path of merit, you will see them as the actual living Buddha. Your view changes as your mind progresses. That is why it is said that holy objects are manifestations, that Buddha manifests as stupas and so on. Even though there are stories that such and such an artist made them, but without Buddha there is no way this could happen. For example, those whose minds are very pure have the experience of statues speaking to them. Even though the statue was made by an artist, still it speaks. There are many great meditators who experience this and even simple
people with not much knowledge of Dharma but strong faith and devotion. Even though a statue is made by somebody, actually it is a manifestation of Buddha. It is also said in the texts that animals cannot see the Buddha and holy objects as we can, so Buddha is manifesting in this way for us.

It is very important to understand these benefits, then you can realize how important it is to have holy objects and to make holy objects—not just in your own house but in the country or area where you live and in the world. This is so important for sentient beings.
In the Sutra of the Mudra Generating the Power of Faith, Buddha mentioned that: “Just merely seeing a form of the Buddha creates far greater merit than making extensive offerings of many different types--such as umbrellas, banners, food, robes, and so forth--to arhats equaling the number of sand grains of the Pacific Ocean for eons equaling the number of sand grains of the Pacific Ocean.”

bambi

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 08:21:51 AM »
Oh dear. All for the sake of making profit and improving the country's economy. Its true, there should be group of people to help maintain these sites. But as said, time is the main essence for they need it to preserve them and it will take a long time as there are not enough people and their authority cannot over rule the government's. Can't they excavate somewhere else first instead of starting from the religious site?

Wouldn't it be great if all the governments give priority to religious sites and its findings? So that whenever something religious is found, it should be preserved 1st.

dondrup

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
It is a case of whether to preserve the precious Buddhist ruins against to mine the billion dollars’ worth of copper that could generate jobs and boost the economy in the region. It could take many years to preserve the massive archaeological site.  The report says any hope of saving the ancient relics when mining begins is slim.  Is there no one who cares to preserve this ancient archeological site in Afghanistan?  Why is UNESCO not stepping in to take over the preservation work?

fruven

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »
It would be a great lost when another important archeological site is lost in the interest of economy. The local community might be exploited of their riches and instead it is the mining companies which are making of with the profits. If there is no massive copper deposit there, nothing would have happened. One day there wouldn't be any copper or any precious resources on this planet. What would be next? Planting trees and harvest the wood to build things as in ancient times?

kris

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »
I am really sad to hear that people are not preserving the old holy items, for so because of economical reasons. China has been living under communist administrations for many years, and after accepting an "open" economy, the companies and people are pretty much put money in front of anything else.

Like what dondrup said, why is not UNESCO stepping in?

Q

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:41:03 AM »
I am really sad to hear that people are not preserving the old holy items, for so because of economical reasons. China has been living under communist administrations for many years, and after accepting an "open" economy, the companies and people are pretty much put money in front of anything else.

Like what dondrup said, why is not UNESCO stepping in?

I have to agree with what you said... I suppose after a 'starvation' period, people do tend to look for the very one thing they lack.

It is not possible for UNESCO to step in at this point of time... documentation of the archaeological site have not been fully completed. They also do not know the extent of the ruins yet. It is really sad that they are so under funded, and I'm pretty sure the Chinese company and the local government is probably giving them a hard time.

It would have been so much better if they preserved the ruins and turned the place into a pilgrimage site... or even a tourist attraction. I'm really sure their country's economy will improve tremendously as well, as many travelers enjoy visiting ancient ruins that depict a certain history and truth behind all the years.

brian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 10:05:43 AM »
The Chinese government gave up on a particular stretch of rich archaeological site in China near Yangtze river to build a huge damn so that there is enough of power supply for the people in China. People tend to forget the historical values and cultures anymore and that is why you hear rich archaeological sites such as this one being willingly forgone for commercial sakes. I do not agree to this kind of arrangement and neither people should. One should know and understand the value behind such previous archaeology items can be very beneficial for historical studies on mankind. And sadly, many people these days will not understand the value behind this and they only look at the financial side of the value.

sonamdhargey

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 02:52:11 PM »
IMHO Firstly Afghanistan is not a Buddhist country nor the citizen practices Buddhism. I don't think there will be any concerted effort or pressure to overturn the decision made to copper mine. This country in dire straits of economic boost and really needed something to boost up the economy. As the country was stricken with  war and poverty. Yes it is sad that the ancient Buddhist archeological site wil be ruined by the development, well If UNESCO can named it as a world heritage site if not it will be destroyed.

Benny

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
It is indeed sad that we are about to witness another archaeological catastrophe ! And of all places Afghanistan again , they look down right adamant in eliminating all traces of their history and culture. This time however, it is not based on religious or political grounds but for economic reasons, which by the way does not validate their careless ways.

After the "Bamiyan Buddhas" issue and the ensuing backlash whether directly or indirectly , the current Democratically elected Government of Afghanistan should be especially sensitive to NOT repeat such mistakes again. But sigh , i would not count on that too much since they are such a desperately poor nation.

However , i do not see any reasons why the Chinese would not be able to understand the importance of such an important find. They do have the know how to relocate such relics , it is just the political and economical will power to do so that matters now. I hope and pray that much attention is brought to bear on the preservation of such treasures.

diamond girl

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 07:20:07 PM »
The sad fact of life is Economics before Religion. Politics comes ranking close to Economics.

Afghanistan has been severely ruined since 2001/2002 after the whole War Against Terrorism fiasco. Many documentaries since have shown so much suffering and plight and no one is really helping them. They were just abandoned when the war against terrorism adjourned to Saddam Hussein and Obama bin Laden.

Looking at it from a completely compassionate point of view, if these relics, statues, etc are sacrificed for the economic survival on one nation, I think that the Buddhas will allow it. I know that it is bad karma but the destruction already took place with the Talibans, look at their fate. Perhaps if the people of Afghanistan could have better quality lives with this copper mining business, the Buddhas would have given them that chance.

This are just my thoughts, may not be very spiritual and I apologize if I offend anyone.