Author Topic: Science studies to be introduced in Geluk Gyuktoe Chenmo  (Read 3361 times)

Ensapa

• Email
Science studies to be introduced in Geluk Gyuktoe Chenmo
« on: October 09, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
Hmm...so they're changing the Gelug syllabus now? I thought Pabongkha Rinpoche thought that worldly science are a waste of time as they do not help us to improve our Dharma practice...so now that the monasteries are being made to study worldly subjects...hmm. What is going to become of them when tradition has been shoved off in favor of samsaric lessons....how are the monks gonna focus on the Dharma 100%? I guess this is what happens when you remove the real elite masters who have practiced in accordance with the Lineage Gurus....

Science studies to be introduced in Geluk Gyuktoe Chenmo
Phayul[Monday, October 08, 2012 23:53]

DHARAMSHALA, October 8: In what is being termed as a “historic change” to the age old Geluk Gyuktoe Chenmo (Gelukpa University Examination), science studies have been introduced in the highest examinations conducted by the Gelukpa University.

Monks studying in the final four years of the regular monastic study programme and the first two years of the Geshe Lharampa degree curriculum, which is equivalent to doctorate of Philosophy, will now be required to appear for science examinations over a spread of six years, beginning 2014.

The decision was taken recently at a high-level meeting held in the Drepung Monastery, south India, headed by Gaden Tri Rinpoche and participated by over 70 representatives, including the abbots of the major monasteries.

A six-point resolution was adopted at the meeting regarding the introduction of science studies.

Geshe Lhakdor, director of the Dharamshala based Library of Tibetan Works and Archives, who attended the meeting, called the decision a “historic step in accordance with the wishes of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.”

Speaking to Phayul, Geshe Lhakdor noted that as per the resolution, the monks in the higher classes will study science for over a period of six years; the first four years during the Abhidharma and Vinaya studies and the last two years in Karam, as part of the six-year Geluk Gyuktoe.

The Library of Tibetan Works and Archives and the Emory University in Atlanta, US have been requested to take the responsibility of continuously publishing bilingual (Tibetan and English) science textbooks and also to send teachers during the last two years of the monastic science studies.

“In order to ensure the quality and maintain the standard of the science studies, Emory University and LTWA will form a Scholar’s Committee, which will decide the subjects to be studied,” Geshe Lhakdor said.

“If there is uniformity about the process of examinations in each of these monastic universities, Emory and LTWA will take the responsibility of preparing the exam papers in consultation with the abbots of the respective monasteries.”

Geshe Lhakdor, who has been involved in giving science workshops, specially designed for monks, for over a decade now, said the monks will be studying science at the beginners level.

“The monastic’s philosophy study is quite advanced and therefore the monks have a greater capacity to understand the concept easily but then the problem lies with the language,” he said. “Since 2006, we have been translating science text books and we have already published half a dozen science text books which we have distributed to many of the monastic universities.”

When asked about the reactions of the monks to the decision, Geshe Lhakdor recalled the experiences of the monk participants at the science workshops, many of whom were geshes and khenpos.

“The monks who have been undertaking the science programme for many years felt that it was wonderful and enriching because both science and Buddhism talk about the reality through different perspectives and different ways of measuring things.”

Geshe Lhakdor noted that the science programme has been planned in such a way so as not to “hamper the marks of the monks in their Buddhist studies.”

“We are planning to give separate marks for science and separate marks for Buddhist studies,” he added.

The Gelug Gyuktoe examination is conducted once a year at one of the three seats of learning i.e., Gaden, Drepung and Sera monastery by rotation.

Lineageholder

Re: Science studies to be introduced in Geluk Gyuktoe Chenmo
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »
Totally agree, what a waste of time  :(

WisdomBeing

• Add me to your facebook!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »
I’m not the least bit interested in science but I do think that there are merits (pun intended) to learning science in the monastery. As Buddhist philosophy in the monastery is so advanced, a knowledge of science would balance their education. His Holiness has always been interested in science, having come out with several books and participated in forums in that vein. His Holiness has also expressed that Buddhism has to move with the times and I do agree with that.

While religion cannot be ‘proven’ by science, I think science can be complementary to religion rather than detract from it.
Kate Walker - a wannabe wisdom Being

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
I’m not the least bit interested in science but I do think that there are merits (pun intended) to learning science in the monastery. As Buddhist philosophy in the monastery is so advanced, a knowledge of science would balance their education. His Holiness has always been interested in science, having come out with several books and participated in forums in that vein. His Holiness has also expressed that Buddhism has to move with the times and I do agree with that.

While religion cannot be ‘proven’ by science, I think science can be complementary to religion rather than detract from it.

If the science subject was an elective course in the Geshe examinations, then i would say that it is a very welcome and smart move. making it a compulsory subject is a different matter altogether. I am all in for the monasteries to educate the monks with science so that it would be easier for them to bridge the teachings with the modern world, but making it a compulsory subject against the interest of the monks is just something weird that I cannot exactly accept: how can a samsaric subject take precedence or take on the same level as the traditional Buddhist studies? Also, Geshe examinations are traditionally done in a debate-like manner and science subjects can only be examined in the conventional manner of writing a thesis and answering straightfoward questions. This can only result in a diversion of the monks' attention towards their Buddhist studies and for sure, not a good thing. Pabongkha Rinpoche himself has said that the study of 'scientific' subjects such as astrology and language only takes time away from Dharma studies and has zero benefit at all.

I am all in with the science thing, but only after they have graduated from their Geshe studies. It would make more sense and is less disruptive that way.