Author Topic: Brainwashed into quitting medical school  (Read 9909 times)

ratanasutra

Re: Brainwashed into quitting medical school
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 08:42:47 AM »
I think there should be more investigate with what was happened which this group of students as this is a future of them ie what are they thinking about, their belief, what is the turning point and what they are planning to do after quitting their studies?

Nobody know what were the actual words that the thai monk taught and advised to these students which have reflect in their minds to turn them wanting to quit their studies. I do not want to give opinion about this until the further investigation.

diablo1974

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 09:00:50 AM »
We shouldnt be concern over people past karmas as we are not omniscience. Instead, we should do things according to the teachings of the Buddha. He left over his tripitaka and i believe there are solutions to deal and curb our everyday lives and desires.

If we see someone sick, give them medicine and care, thats it. I dont think we should read into people karma and then decide what to do next.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 09:17:24 AM »
As usual, there has been no updates on this matter and nobody has pursued, and there is no news on where the students went. For all we know, they might have chosen to go back to their families and resumed their studies. I find it quite unbelievable that Malaysia and Thailand have no way of tracking such a big group of students down. Perhaps, the monk brought the students to a pilgrimage of sorts and the students have returned to their families...its been months since this incident and still no news.

kris

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »
I would agree with Benny that we should not conclude so soon and check out what happens first, and may be there is some miscommunications or misunderstanding there.

But I would like to bring a point across: Buddhism is like the hospital for our mind/soul. All these years, people with physical pain get appropriate treatments from the hospital, but NOT mental pain. While it is important we have hospital to heal the physical pain, we are very short of places to heal our mind/soul.

May be that is the meaning of what the monk said? :)

sonamdhargey

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 09:39:37 AM »
Wow! Medical treatment is good. In the Buddhist context giving aid to sick people is a good thing to do and it is a good practice of giving and compassion. What this monk said is unbelievable. Imagine how many people these students can help in the future. The monk should practice humility and not boast that he has supernatural powers.