Author Topic: Why do people believe in karma  (Read 27511 times)

Dondrup Shugden

Re: Why do people believe in karma
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »
Yes it is very true that when something bad hit, most people would rather blame something external than the result of the negative karma that was self created.

At this point I also wonder if something good happen they will give credit other than themselves.  Knowing the human nature (myself included) it seems very likely that for good phenomena we congratulate ourselves and with something bad happens we blame others.  Reason for samsara to be where we are.

kelly

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 07:30:09 AM »
I personally believe in karma because a lot of things that happen around us no any others explanation can explain why such thing can happen so I guess is the only explanation is karma the law of karma already said do good get good karma do bad get bad karma so is good that we believe in karma then it will propel us to do good instead of do bad.

Dondrup Shugden

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »
I have reflected once again on this post and I think that people believe in Karma is because phenomena around us happen without explanations.  So there must have been a cause for the effect to occur.  If there is no logical explanation then it could only be something else coming around from times unknown or not remembered.

Together with believing in Karma, we should also believe in rebirth.  With these two every essence of Buddhist teachings, we must take this very precious human life to do virtuous deeds to benefit other so that we can accumulate positivities in our next round of rebirth.

Pema8

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 05:53:12 AM »
People believe in Karma even if they don't call it Karma. Like everybody knows that when you don't do your homework you will be in trouble. So much fear to suffer from not doing what you should do and on top not getting the result like having the knowledge which builds up every day.

It is illogical to not thinking of the results we will get. But the maras and delusions are so strong that we rather forget what we want to achieve but enjoy the moment.

Lets create the causes to see the end of the ban swiftly and smoothly.

gbds3jewels

• Email
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 02:45:07 AM »
What comes around goes around is an old saying (supposedly originated in the 70's). It's a commonly used phrase regardless of religions and beliefs. What is means can be considered karma - basically a person's actions (whether good or bad) will often have consequences for that person.

Whether we truly believe in karma or not is somewhat contradictory. I think most people do believe we will reap what we sow. But at the same time, karma seems to have very little effect in stopping people from committing negative, harmful acts. Neither does it seems to be the main motivator for people to commit positive, beneficial acts. Our actions are still pretty much govern by our ego, selfishness and short term gratification. So do you really believe in karma? Or only as an explanation to events when other reasoning fails?

Shugdener

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
I guess it is because the people who believe in Karma have experienced karma themselves before when they've done something good and as a result of that, their obstacles or wishes were fulfilled due to the positive Karma they have amassed.

Maybe they've done something wrong that may have accumulated negative Karma and hence they might have experienced obstacles in their life.

Karma is quite a simple thing to understand and put in to practice because it is something like a give and take situation, if we do good, our wishes would be fulfilled a and our obstacles will be cleared, if we do negative things, then it makes us more vulnerable to obstacles coming our way which is something we all don't want.

grandmapele

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 06:41:08 AM »
"I am the owner of my karma .
I inherit my karma.
I am born of my karma.
I am related to my karma.
I live supported by my karma.
Whatever karma I create, whether good or evil, that I shall inherit."
The Buddha, Anguttara Nikaya V.57 - Upajjhatthana Sutta

This alone makes me own up to my actions. This alone should tell me to mend my ways. Just watching our actions and words will create less negativity and if everyone just do that, the world will be a much nicer place to live in as there will be less conflicts and strife.

This also tells me that I should not rely on others to make me feel better or happy. In almost all languages of the world, there is a phrase akin to "you reap what you sow". The Buddha has just taken it a step further in explaining it.

Midakpa

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »
Here is an explanation from Venerable Luang Suriyabongs which explains why people believe in karma. Read and contemplate:

"The Law of karma and rebirth is immensely reasonable. It is the best explanation of the inequalities of men; it explains good and evil. It helps to solve many problems of life. Such as, where do we come from, what are we, where shall we go? It encourages man to practice good, to be tolerant and show loving-kindness and compassion to all sentient life. Above all, the firm belief in karma and rebirth makes man sober, not pessimistic nor over optimistic; it makes him see things in the light of karma: life’s impermanence, its misery, and its non-selfness. It prevents him from doing rash acts which might have bad results in his near future; it prevents him from suffering unduly under the karmic conditions created by his own doing. The right understanding of karma and its implications gradually leads man to perfect awareness of the true facts of life; to the realization of the Four Noble Truths; to the conquest of kilesa, of delusion and of karma itself."  Luang Suriyabongs