Author Topic: Jesus & Buddha – New Film Exploring ‘Practicing across Traditions  (Read 5744 times)

DSFriend

23 Jun 2012
by Angela Alston, www.mocamedia.tv

Three leading figures in today’s Buddhist-Christian dialogue share their personal journeys in the new documentary Jesus and Buddha: Practicing Across Traditions. We learn how following the path of the Buddha has informed and deepened their understanding of who Jesus was and what He taught. Their experience and insight bring these two liberating archetypes alive in a way that can help guide us through our own confusion and struggle toward lives filled with joy and gratitude, compassion and service.

The film features: Father Robert Kennedy, a Jesuit priest and Zen teacher; Chung Hyun Kyung, Professor of Ecumenical Theology and Interfaith Engagement at Union Theological Seminary and a Buddhist Dharma teacher; and Paul Knitter, Professor of Theology, World Religions and Culture at Union Theological Seminary.

During the course of the film, we see that the struggles and anxieties that motivate them are our own. What’s more, their reflections throw the light back on us. We can better see the prison of our ceaseless preoccupations, our obsessions, our animosities. Perhaps our own notions of the spiritual path have been limited by our need for answers and our desire for comfort.

In the end it becomes clear from these witnesses that this is not a journey that depends on concepts and abstractions — and definitive answers are beyond our grasp. The journey is rather one of “practice” and insight. The path these travelers are pointing out to us is infinitely spacious and ultimately fulfilling — it can hold all of the contradictions and the questions as it leads further and deeper into the “incomprehensible mystery” that is this life.

Maybe we don’t need to enter a monastery or go to the desert, but some form of discipline appears to be necessary if we are to move beyond the self as the center of identity and into the liberating vastness of the “Buddha-field” or the nourishing wholeness of the “Christ-reality.”

Jesus and Buddha is 44 minutes long, and available on DVD for purchase by individuals for private viewing ($19.95) and for educational use ($55.95). A discussion guide is also available.

Featured in Jesus and Buddha

• Father Robert Kennedy, SJ is a Jesuit priest and Zen teacher in the White Plum lineage. He taught theology for many years at St. Peter’s College in New Jersey and as a young man studied with Yamada Roshi in Kamakura, Japan, with Maezumi Roshi in Los Angeles, and later with Glassman Roshi in New York. Glassman Roshi installed Fr. Kennedy as sensei in 1991 and conferred Inka (his final seal of approval) in 1997, making him a roshi (master).
• Chung Hyun Kyung is Professor of Ecumenical Theology and Interfaith Engagement at Union Theological Seminary and a Buddhist Dharma teacher in the Kwan Um School of Zen. She trained with Seung Sahn Sunim and Thich Nhat Hanh. She is a peace activist and an author of many articles and books on eco-feminist theologies and peoples’ movements, all based on her extensive research in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
• Paul Knitter is Paul Tillich Professor of Theology, World Religions and Culture at Union Theological Seminary and has for many years been a guiding light in the development of a socially engaged interfaith dialogue that focuses both on peace making and on addressing “the realities of suffering due to oppression.” He is author of many books, including most recently, Without Buddha I Could Not Be A Christian: A Personal Journey of Passing Over and Passing Back.
Feedback from Viewers

Every Buddhist center in the country should see this.” — Richard Fiske, Shambhala Mediation Center, White River Junction, VT

“I felt very affirmed as a Roman Catholic.” — Kathy Fiske, Artist

“It was a sensual feast for eyes, ears, and mind, and a privilege to be in the company of such wonderful teachers.”–Denise Lyons, PhD., Organizational Psychologist

“Beautifully photographed and edited. And listening to them was like listening to music!” Joyce Dann, poet

“I found it to be profoundly moving and very powerful, listening on one level and experiencing on a deeper level.” — Michael Stoner, Former Director of Communications of the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University

“As someone interested in theology, I could have listened to them go on for hours. For me something new emerged and that is that you can be both a Christian and a Buddhist. I think there is a deep need for this. This is really a film about social justice.” — the Rev. Daniel Jantos, minister of the Unitarian Universalist Church, Woodstock, VT

The Filmmakers

Jesus and Buddha was co-directed by the award-winning filmmaking team John Ankele and Anne Macksoud, through their company Old Dog Documentaries. Their mission is to create films that inspire dialogue and action on social, economic, and environmental justice.

John Ankele, B.A., M.Div., started out as Program Director for the NYC Council of Churches, doing public affairs programs for WABC radio, WNBC-TV, and WCBS-TV. He then spent six years teaching at the Communications Center of the All-Africa Conference of Churches in Nairobi, Kenya. Back in the U.S., he developed curriculum videos for schools and institutions and promotional videos for nonprofit organizations.

Anne Macksoud, B.A., M.A., spent 17 years as a teacher (English, photography, and music) before transitioning to film and video production. Once she discovered the “eye-opening” power of the documentary medium, she brought rented documentaries into her classroom on a regular basis. Eventually, she began helping her students make their own films and slide shows on the issues of the day (civil rights, the Vietnam War, and global poverty, to name a few). She approaches filmmaking from the perspective of an artist as well as an educator.

For More Information

For more information about Jesus and Buddha or to request a review copy, visit: http://www.olddogdocumentaries.org, email Angela Alston at angela at mocamedia.tv or call +1-718-407-0670.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
Re: Jesus & Buddha – New Film Exploring ‘Practicing across Traditions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:42:36 PM »
This is fantastic! I saw the short clip and the picture of a Buddhist thangka hanging over a crucifix is powerful. I have never seen any conflict between Buddhism and any other religion, and both teach us the reality of ourselves, that we are more than we thought we are and more than what others think we are.

Sidharta became a Buddha because he was awakened. Jesus became Christ because he too was awakened. Awakened to the realization that we possess the Buddha nature and that the kingdom of God is already within us. The most revealing teaching that Jesus gave which resonates with the Buddha's discovery is that the way to enlightenment, which we can regard as our paradise is found by looking inside instead of looking outwards. While teachers during the time of the Buddha and also during the time of Jesus taught how one can improve one's quality of life on this earth, the Buddha and Jesus told us to look beyond and not to be caught with the things of the world or samsara.

There are many similarities between Buddha and Jesus and at the very core, both abandoned their respective self interest for the benefit of others. That Sidharta discovered the way and Jesus followed that way clearly makes Jesus a Bodhisattva.

I like the quote from the clip "Buddha has enabled me to see things about Jesus which I would not have been able to see, without Buddha"

so_003

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »
This is a great video. To me both the Buddha and Jesus a enlighten but is just in a different form and using different method or ways. But both comes to the same result of truth of life and live in the moment.

This sharing of the documentary video is very useful for many. I hope more people will share this.

Tenzin K

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:29:11 AM »
So beautiful. It’s not about differences but the common similarities of the Jesus spirits and the Buddha natures, the awakened one.

Jesus speaks of himself as 'the light' and the son of a great father while, perhaps in Mahayana traditions, their Buddha proclaims himself to be a great father with sons of light (Bodhisattvas, although given the meaning of 'awakened (bodh) beings' several have suggested the Prakrit bho- and awakening by light and other Buddhist traditions associate the Bodhisattva with light)). In many pre-Christian Buddhist texts we read that, on many separate occasions, after hearing a verse from the lord a convert would proclaim that Buddha is like somebody who lights up a path and Jesus’ “Just as long as I am in this world, I am the light (as quoted by Reverend Gary Davis)” is very similar to the Pali Buddhist line; so dippo lokassa nibbuta “The light of the world is exstinguished". Jesus proclaims to come to convert the wicked while the Buddha proclaims that his main goal is to save those of noble character or 'those with little dust in their eyes' although in the Lotus sutra the Buddha claims to create an illusionary 'half-way point' for those who are wicked.

Understanding both great teaching make us find our truth of life and the full potential to be human.