Author Topic: This is racism, not Buddhism  (Read 9117 times)

DSFriend

This is racism, not Buddhism
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:08:44 AM »
Buddhism have been praised throughout the longest time to be free of religious war. Though this is not a war, but could it have sparked war if international economic interests were involved? I do not wish to judge but these circumstances puts my unstable mind at risk negative projections. What I am reminded though is that outwardly we may look the part but at the end of the day, it is still the vows which distinguishes a follower of Buddha or not.

-----

by Sanitsuda Ekachai, The Bangkok Post, Sept 5, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand -- How do you feel when you see rows of stern-looking Buddhist monks marching through the streets in full force to call for violent treatment of the downtrodden?

That was what thousands of Myanmar monks did when they took to the streets in temple-studded Mandalay on Sunday to support the government's brutal persecution of stateless Muslim Rohingya.

What were they thinking?

The world is full of injustice. But isn't it the business of monks to advise against it, and not to be supportive of any form of prejudice and human cruelty?

Aren't empathy and non-exploitation the key words in Buddhism? Aren't monks supposed to devote their lives to deepening spiritual practice in order to see through the different layers of we-they prejudice so that compassion prevails in their hearts, words, and actions?

Many people outside Myanmar were asking these questions because the anti-Rohingya monks were the same ones who dared challenge the government in 2007 to champion the people's cause, and who themselves faced a violent crackdown by the military junta.
If the Buddha's words were not important to them when they took to the streets, then what was?

The answer is quite simple - racist nationalism. The monks do want justice for people, but just for their own kind.

As part of the dominant ethnic Bama Buddhists, they believe deeply the dark-skinned Rohingya are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh, aggressive outsiders who will steal land from the Buddhist folk. The monks therefore feel that it is just to support the government to eliminate the perceived threats to their motherland, their ethnicity, and their religion.

Call it patriotism, ultra-nationalism, ethnic prejudice, or racism. Whichever the label, it is mired in the we-they prejudice that divides people, fosters hatred, and triggers violence - everything Buddhism cautions against.

But should people who live in glass houses throw stones?

Our monks may still stop short of marching in the streets to call for the elimination of Malay Muslim separatists, but they have done so several times to call for a law which will help them retain supremacy over other religions.

Every time I cover their Buddhism-for-national-religion campaigns, I never fail to hear their deep suspicions of Islam. Meanwhile, bombs have blasted and killed people for eight years running in the restive South, yet we never hear our monks mentioning any concern about justice for the locals, nor for the need to open political space for Malay Muslims to voice their needs, address inequalities, and to extinguish the root causes of ethnic frustration and violence.

Instead, we see monks taking the defensive and dangerous route of ordaining soldiers to increase their number while allowing temples to be used as barracks.

Like their peers in Myanmar, our monks are in full support of the military to maintain the supremacy of the Buddhist majority. If violence must be used in this suppression, so be it.

But Thailand is also witnessing a rapid growth of lay Buddhism which focuses on meditation retreats and core Buddhist teachings. Can this movement act as a voice of sensibility when the country is mired in political divisiveness? If that's your expectation, be prepared to be disappointed.

For its members, too, generally share the belief that the elimination of perceived threats is necessary, like the need to eliminate germs and diseases to restore one's health. When this is your mindset - left or right, red or yellow, pro-or anti-establishment - you'll believe the use of hate speech, half truths, and violence by your camp is perfectly all right.

No, we are not Buddhists. We may pray to the Buddha and close our eyes to meditate, but what shapes our thoughts, words, and actions is ideological extremism of all different shades.

The Buddha's path leads to peaceful co-existence and sharing. Ideological extremism leads to control, suppression, and winner-takes-all.

If left to fester, ideological extremism and race-based nationalism will breed more violence. The country's goal of regional integration will be sheer nonsense. And for both monks and lay Buddhists, all those longs hours of meditation will be simply wasted.

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
Re: This is racism, not Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
We expect monks to know better and we are shocked that members of the Sangha do not abide by what even lay people know by instinct to be the proper response to persecutions based on race, religion or nationality. The average person on the street knows that violence is wrong, as is tyranny and the subjection of any life to torture. What more a group of people who are, not only supposed to uphold the Buddha's teachings but have also taken vows to practice it.

Whether we call it "patriotism, ultra-nationalism, ethnic prejudice, or racism", as stated in the article, the bottom line is a complete failure to abandon self cherishing and in this case, collective self cherishing. So much for the practice of the Four Immeasurable, the first thing every Buddhist learn.

But then, we should have already been prepared because the Buddha himself described the degeneration of His teachings because of moral laxity and depravity within the community of monks. In the sutra on the Complete Extinction of the Dharma, Buddha Sakyamuni predicted that his Dharma will be transgressed and desecrated by mara posing as members of the Sangha. In addition to breaking every precept of the monastic code, these monks and nuns, in devoting themselves to worldly self-gratification which are void of all forms of Bodhicitta will drive away saints, holy men and students of the Dharma. The Sangha becomes a refuge for slaves and criminals, and society at large is plagued by corruption, immorality, and bitter suffering.

These are troubling times and we need the protection of Dorje Shugden more than ever in our Dharma practice.

Amitabha

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:31:41 AM »
Every time I cover their Buddhism-for-national-religion campaigns, I never fail to hear their deep suspicions of Islam. Meanwhile, bombs have blasted and killed people for eight years running in the restive South, yet we never hear our monks mentioning any concern about justice for the locals, nor for the need to open political space for Malay Muslims to voice their needs, address inequalities, and to extinguish the root causes of ethnic frustration and violence.
Since the beginning, if the people would to follow the monk simply living and benevolence mind, there would have no animosity. If the Muslim since the beginning would to follow prophet Mohammad of simple joy living of harmony to attain heaven of Allah, there would be no doubt against others. If the political leaders would to truly embrace and know religions instead of wealth and power, the country would be in peace and harmony.

Instead, we see monks taking the defensive and dangerous route of ordaining soldiers to increase their number while allowing temples to be used as barracks. Like their peers in Myanmar, our monks are in full support of the military to maintain the supremacy of the Buddhist majority. If violence must be used in this suppression, so be it.
Believe in Buddha Gotama that their stoic peace, benevolence and harmony is the best protection.

But Thailand is also witnessing a rapid growth of lay Buddhism which focuses on meditation retreats and core Buddhist teachings. Can this movement act as a voice of sensibility when the country is mired in political divisiveness? If that's your expectation, be prepared to be disappointed.
Alot of commoners also did not participated in violent objection and they live happily. The voice of sensibility is that their movement are seeking enlightenment as they felt that hatred begets hatred and love begets love, and they also having defilement of their own to be purified. Once situation is escalated, its prudent to let it be as nothing can cool it, besides the cool of one party. Moreover, the core of this politically movement is motivated on materialism and power. Buddhism is a teaching that liberalizing the power of inner peace and benevolence of all that is everlastingly for both present and future.  8)

Amitabha

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:34:44 AM »
We expect monks to know better and we are shocked that members of the Sangha do not abide by what even lay people know by instinct to be the proper response to persecutions based on race, religion or nationality. The average person on the street knows that violence is wrong, as is tyranny and the subjection of any life to torture. What more a group of people who are, not only supposed to uphold the Buddha's teachings but have also taken vows to practice it.

Whether we call it "patriotism, ultra-nationalism, ethnic prejudice, or racism", as stated in the article, the bottom line is a complete failure to abandon self cherishing and in this case, collective self cherishing. So much for the practice of the Four Immeasurable, the first thing every Buddhist learn.

But then, we should have already been prepared because the Buddha himself described the degeneration of His teachings because of moral laxity and depravity within the community of monks. In the sutra on the Complete Extinction of the Dharma, Buddha Sakyamuni predicted that his Dharma will be transgressed and desecrated by mara posing as members of the Sangha. In addition to breaking every precept of the monastic code, these monks and nuns, in devoting themselves to worldly self-gratification which are void of all forms of Bodhicitta will drive away saints, holy men and students of the Dharma. The Sangha becomes a refuge for slaves and criminals, and society at large is plagued by corruption, immorality, and bitter suffering.

These are troubling times and we need the protection of Dorje Shugden more than ever in our Dharma practice.
Why dun you seek Buddha for protection instead of Dorje Shugden? ;D

brian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:40:13 AM »
Monks are supposed to be the neutral type isn't it? I don't understand for why the monks came out and hold demonstration in support of brutal treatment on another ethnic group. I condemn such idea and doings as this is not Buddhism, instead of promote loving all sentient beings, the monks are promoting hurting others (!) Even novice monks would understand the basic rules of not hurting others. Not only that they are representing Buddhism and their country badly, it might potentially spark a religious war which Buddhsim has never involved in.

bambi

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 05:25:13 AM »
Another so called Buddhists group who are not suppose to be inciting hatred and violence. All these issues happening around the world using the good name of Buddha's teachings are signs of true degeneration. Since when the Sanghas are meant to be political? Please don't be another HHDL and cause disharmony. Oh Dorje Shugden, we truly need your wisdom and compassion to help these people to stop what they are doing.

What happened to the years where, religion is not something to be mixed with politics? Especially what is going on in the southern part of Thailand. Almost every other day, there are news about people killing another because of religions. Please stop! We should practice what we truly believe in and stop causing so much hurt and pain.

Tenzin Malgyur

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:20:03 AM »
This is the other  side of the sangha community that lay people will not expect to follow or support. Our most basic instinct will tell us to be kind to all living beings. And now it is reported the monks are marching in support of the government who have been prosecuting the stateless Rohingyas. Should they be protesting against such act instead? This is so confusing for new practitioners and also to non Buddhist. Aren't Buddhist supposed to be compassionate and peaceful people?

Tammy

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:23:59 AM »
It is normal practise or thinking that we always measure sangha members by a stricter standard then that imposed onto lay people; especially on moral issues. I may be wrong on this but My take is, it is the sangha members themselves who took vows that they have to keep pure and it is NOT for us, the lay people, who judge them.

Let us not forget the basic Buddha teaching, ie every sentient being is equal. If sangha members commit any crimes, they would have to bear the legal consequences imposed by law and responsible to their own karma.

This is not totally related to the topic in discussion but it is something I would like to share..
Down with the BAN!!!

vajratruth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »

Why dun you seek Buddha for protection instead of Dorje Shugden? ;D

Dear Amitabha,

I AM under the protection of a Buddha, by the great and noble name of Dorje Shugden, whose lineage covers innumerable great Masters (and you should not be surprised to learn that one or many of your Gurus were students of these great Masters) going all the way to Manjushri.

And it is the blessings and guidance of Dorje Shugden that upholds me in my practice such that I am able to see those who wrongly persecute an enlightened being and his worshippers , not with disdain but with complete acceptance.

I thoroughly appreciate what you wrote in another thread in this post and if I may quote you:

"The voice of sensibility is that their movement are seeking enlightenment as they felt that hatred begets hatred and love begets love, and they also having defilement of their own to be purified. Once situation is escalated, its prudent to let it be as nothing can cool it, besides the cool of one party. Moreover, the core of this politically movement is motivated on materialism and power. Buddhism is a teaching that liberalizing the power of inner peace and benevolence of all that is everlastingly for both present and future."

Think about what you wrote which I presume was from your heart and consider how Dorje Shugden practitioners have behaved during this unjustifiable ban. Have you not just described how Shugdenpas have practiced in the face of severe punishments and terrible persecutions? You wrote also about harmony and I agree with you and I, like many of my Shugden brothers and sisters wait for the day the ban is removed and harmony within the Sangha restored.

You understand the situation well Amitabha. I wish you well. I wish you Dorje Shugden.

dondrup

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 01:06:36 PM »
That was what thousands of Myanmar monks did when they took to the streets in temple-studded Mandalay on Sunday to support the government's brutal persecution of stateless Muslim Rohingya.

Any form of violence or support thereof as above contradicts Buddhist teachings of non-violence or non-harming of others.

As part of the dominant ethnic Bama Buddhists, they believe deeply the dark-skinned Rohingya are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh, aggressive outsiders who will steal land from the Buddhist folk. The monks therefore feel that it is just to support the government to eliminate the perceived threats to their motherland, their ethnicity, and their religion.

Buddhists view all sentient beings as equal because all sentient beings have the same Buddha-nature and can become like a Buddha.  Hence it is unacceptable for the Bama Buddhists to discriminate against the Rohingyas.

Instead, we see monks taking the defensive and dangerous route of ordaining soldiers to increase their number while allowing temples to be used as barracks.

Monks should promote peace and harmony amongst the different races.  Monks should not get involved with the military but should instead generate compassion for the oppressed Malay Muslims and discourage further violence and injustice against them.

DS Star

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 03:17:44 PM »
What qualifies a person to be known as "Buddhist Monk", his robe? His shaved head? Or his conduct?

This is truly the Age of Degeneration... the so-called Sangha members killed minorities, hacked a dog, forcefully convert people from other faiths... as discussed in the following links:

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-5-122771-Myanmar-Muslims-killed-for-not-converting-to-Budhism-JI
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2483.0
http://www.dorjeshugden.com/forum/index.php?topic=2582.0

Buddhist monk is called Bhikkhu (in Pali) or Bhiksu (in Sanskrit). The Dhammapada states:

He is not thereby a Bhikkhu
merely because he seeks alms from others;
by following the whole code (of morality)
one certainly becomes a Bhikkhu and not (merely) by seeking alms.
Herein he who has transcended both good and evil,
whose conduct is sublime,
who lives with understanding in this world,
he, indeed, is called a Bhikkhu.

"A bhikkhu has taken a vow to enter the Sangha (Buddhist monastic community) and is expected to obey the Patimokkha (Pratimoksa in Sanskrit), rules of monastic conduct (typically around 227 for a male and 311 for a female) as set out in the Vinaya, although there are considerable local variations in the interpretations of these rules."

I recalled talking to one senior monk from Thailand. He told me in his country, especially in remote villages, they need to accept young people as monks even for just 3 months because there are too many demands for service of Sangha by the local communities and not enough qualified monks to conduct them especially for funerals and wakes. Thus, they have no choice but to relax their 'screenings' and accept novice monks to fulfill 'quotas'.

It sadden me to see that more and more people joining the sacred and holy Sangha community with wrong motivations or agendas.

I remembered one Buddhist master said that these so-called monks are viewing their monk-hood as a career like any other samsaric career... perhaps this is one of the reasons why these kind of negative actions are being done by the so-called 'Buddhists' and 'monks'...

Yes this is racism, NOT Buddhism

hope rainbow

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »
Right now, people demonstrate in the streets of many Middle East countries because their prophet has been insulted. In times like this I think that the clergy of all religion should lead by example, all men of robes should appeal to peace and show ways to peace. And even all spiritual practitioners from any tradition should be like mini-Gandhi's. That is if protest are needed, let they be non-violent and directed towards a pacification, not an exacerbation. Let they be intelligent, compassionate and wise.

Violence leads to violence.
No exception.

buddhalovely

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
I see no problem with the way I used the term in this context; I could have said light-skinned or dark-skinned person, but I think it’s clearer as I said it. Everyone knows what I meant, and there was no judgment or racism in the way I meant it or, I believe, in the way I said it.

But now we get to the topic at hand. You say that “race is a social construct.” OK, I agree. There are some very dark-skinned people and some very light-skinned people, and a whole spectrum of shades in-between. Where the lines are drawn are vague, and much of our self-identities are caught up in where we (and others) position ourselves in that range. In the way we treat each other, it is completely a social issue.

But yet, anyone with eyes can see a difference.

Buddhists are realists. If you take a so-called “White” person and stand them next to a so-called “Black” person, there is an obvious physical difference. Saying otherwise is political correctness taken to the point of absurdity. Anything else is like saying blue eyes and brown eyes are the same. No, they aren’t. They work the same; they function identically; yet there is a difference.

Internally, spiritually, or in all the ways that matter to a Buddhist, they are the same. To deny the physical difference, just seems like denying the truth. We should embrace the differences, and accept them, even enjoy them; to deny them is just wrong-thinking.

RedLantern

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 03:45:26 AM »
Real Buddhist believe that our Body and Mind are borrowed from the earth and we don't own them.We suffer from aging,sickness,death and mental illness including greed,anger and ignorant of the nature of reality.The country,religion,race,land and etc are all man made.We own this body temporarily ,land,house and we will eventually give them back to Earth.
If we all realized about this fact,there should not be any racism fight or any unnecessary activities.

Ensapa

• Email
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 04:56:47 PM »
And in other disappointing news...I really wish this would stop. really. it is giving Buddhists a very bad name

Buddhist monks march in Myanmar to thwart Islamic office plan

by Thu Rein Hlaing; Writing by Martin Petty; Editing by Alan Raybould, Reuters, October 15, 2012
YANGON, Myanmar -- Thousands of Buddhist monks marched in Myanmar's two biggest cities on Monday to protest against efforts by the world's biggest Islamic body to help Rohingya Muslims involved in deadly communal clashes four months ago.
The monks, a potent political force in the predominantly Buddhist country, denounced plans by the 57-member Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to set up a liaison office in northwest Rakhine state, where violence erupted in June between ethnic Buddhist Rakhines and Rohingyas.

Just hours after the monks dispersed, President Thein Sein's office announced it would not permit an OIC representation in Myanmar. It was not immediately clear if the announcement was linked to the protests or had been planned in advance.

"The government will not allow the opening of an OIC office as it is not in accordance with the desire of people," said a statement posted on its website.

The monks were joined by ordinary citizens in Yangon and Mandalay. Some carried placards with the words "get out OIC", and "no OIC" and said they would hold demonstrations until the government agreed to their demands.
Despite being one of Asia's most ethnically diverse countries, there is entrenched ill-feeling in Myanmar towards the estimated 800,000 Rohingyas, most of whom live in abject conditions.

Accused of being illegal immigrants and usually referred to as Bengalis because of their South Asian origin, the Rohingyas are not recognised as citizens by Myanmar.

"The OIC is only for Bengalis, not for us," said monk Pyin Nyar Nanda at one of the rallies.

Anger and fear still smoulder between Rohingyas and ethnic Rakhine Buddhists after the spree of arson and machete attacks that killed at least 77 people and displaced tens of thousands.

A delegation from the OIC visited Rakhine state last month after several Muslim countries voiced concern about the welfare of the Rohingyas, whom the United Nations has described as "virtually friendless".

In a report in August, the New York-based Human Rights Watch said it had found evidence of "state-sponsored persecution and discrimination" against the Rohingyas in the weeks after the violence, claims that the government strongly rejected.

While all sides of the political spectrum have called for calm, the issue has become a hot political issue for Nobel laureate and lawmaker Aung San Suu Kyi. She has faced international criticism for failing to speak out in defence of the Rohingyas, who are denied the same rights as Burmese.

During the trouble, many Rohingyas tried to flee in rickety boats to neighbouring Bangladesh, which also refuses to recognise them. Most were turned back by security forces.

The government had earlier indicated it would consider allowing the OIC to open a temporary office in the Rakhine capital, Sittwe, where aid groups and journalists say the two communities remain deeply divided.